Backup gun.

Discussion in 'LEO Talk' started by nine387, Oct 3, 2012.

1. nine387

nine387 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First off, glad to find this thread, I've been running around the XD-S thread for a solid month and didn't realize there was a LEO page! A little background here... I'm a rookie LEO out of Nebraska, been in law enforcement two years, Deputy and Police Officer (don't ask) haha.

I posed this question on the XD-S thread, but only got one, (albeit good) response.I have constantly battled with a good way to carry a back-up on duty. I chose the XD-S to carry, but am lamenting over how to carry it.

I thought a belly-band may be the way to go because I want to be damn sure the thing stays put when I go hands on, and since we don't carry TASER's that's pretty often. I've never even looked at or seen any belly-bands in person, thoughts from guys that use these would be appreciated.

Another contributor on the XD-S thread mentioned keeping it in a cargo pant pocket, which would be great if we had that option, but I wear slick side pants, no cargo pockets.

IWB; don't think I can pull this off, there's enough on my belt as it is.

Finally, ankle carry, I just don't think it's practicle. SHTF and you need to drop to your ankle? I don't see that working well.

Thoughts?

2. The Fuzz

The Fuzz XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Howdy Nine. Back again. :cool:

I know a couple of guys who use a generic Uncle Mikes holster that wear the gun attached the their vest under their support side shoulder. To access in a pinch, reach in through your shirt (ripping the buttons off as necessary) and draw with the stong side hand. I've never really understood how that works as my vest is uncomfortable enough as it is, but it would be another option to consider if allowed by your department. You might need to have the uniform tailor add a little slack to that side of the shirt to accommodate the holster though, depending on how it fits.

I qual with my XDS the last thursday of the month at training. I'll see if I can whip up that pocket rig some time between now and then and post pics. Time to order some kydex...

3. nine387

nine387 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha thanks man! Looks like you're the only one interested again lol. I like the idea of the "cross-draw" under the shirt, I think that's what I like about the belly-bands too.

Can't wait to see the pics, I'll be waiting for them!

4. drs1321

drs1321 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +325 / 5
    I also don't understand the vest thing. I ankle carry for a BUG. That's the only way I can find it feasible!

5. harley1960

harley1960 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How about crotch carry? Under shirt, over vest shoulder holster? I hope you find something. It would have saved my brothers life if he had a backup.

6. KenW.

KenW. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Back when I was in unifrom I carried a 3" 1911 (Colt Defender) on my ankle to backup my 5" Kimber 1911(Tactical Custom II). Worked great!

7. nine387

nine387 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sincere apologies for your loss. I hope to give mysef an advantage any way I can, and two is one, one is none seems like the best addage to apply to my primary source of protection (aside from my vest).

I think something under my shirt and over my vest will be the best option for me. I have zippered pockets on my shirt so that would keep it fairly secure and easily accessed.

I'm also going to entertain CPES' suggestion once he gets some pics up ;) I've finally talked my chief into blauer's with a single cargo pocket on each thigh.

8. paragrunt

paragrunt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    S&W 342 PD (.38) in a cheap Uncle Mikes strapped cross draw to my vest. I had the top three buttons on my vest perm sewed on and Velcro backed.

If I'm fighting for my life and trying to retain tension with strong hand on my duty gun, I can reach in weak hand and blow 5 holes of .38 +P+ into the turd without jamming. I may get powder burns, but will live. Or just draw weak handed and repeat above.

For fighting on back on ground, small knife strapped to outside of boot on weak side.

9. Chowser

Chowser XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to carry a Glock 32 or 33 on my body armor under my shirt situated for off-hand draw (as I am hoping my strong hand is still holding my duty gun in my holster from the guy trying to take it). I got tired of doing that, so I am currently pocket carrying the 33. (issued weapon is the 31). It is a little heavy and I plan on replacing the 33 with a S&W Shield for pocket carry.

The 33 currently resides in a Desantis Nemesis holster in the left pocket (I am right handed) while on duty and in my right pocket when off duty.

10. djturnz

djturnz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chowser, when you say left and right pocket, do you mean upper front pants pocket? Mine are completely useless with my duty belt on. Another option for carry would be the Kangaroo Holster. It's basically a belly band worn across the nipple line with a strap that goes over the shoulder to keep it from falling down. He makes all sorts of options, even a standard holster with an extension so you can wear it over the vest or off duty with no vest. They can be had with extra pockets to hold a mag or extra cuffs or money. He even used to make a vest style that would hold a radio and all sorts of gear under a shirt for under cover work.

11. KenW.

KenW. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ah! A manssiere with a pistol holster.

12. Chowser

Chowser XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We're allowed to wear the uniform pants with the cargo pockets. I can't fit anything large in my front pockets with my duty belt on. It got uncomfortable in the cargo pocket when in a foot pursuit. I just moved the 33 back to my body armor. Carried it that way for 13+ years so I might as well not change.

13. danp

danp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    I'm uncomfortable with not being able to draw with either hand, especially a BUG. I carry an LCP on my ankle when in uniform. I tried the vest thing and found I couldn't draw off-hand only. Pocket carry really restricts to that side as well. I've actually been considering a PDA type case (generic, rectangular pouch) on my duty belt in front of the baton. It would be fully enclosed and unrecognizable as a gun, yet accessable with either hand.

14. jnc36rcpd

jnc36rcpd XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  15. ZONES

ZONES XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Sgt that trained me in SFST carried what looked like a LCP in a small pouch on his duty belt near center on his right side in a small pouch that looked like nothing special until he unbuttoned it and pulled up the flap. This is something I will try once on with a agency with a XDS. Seems all too convenient.