Audio Receiver Recommendation

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by xxkinetikxx, Nov 28, 2010.

1. xxkinetikxx

xxkinetikxx XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Guys,

Just a couple of days ago my home theater audio receiver's front right channel started popping. It's a $360 Samsung AV-R720. I bought it as a home theater in a box system and it's done well for the almost 2 years I've had it. Anyway its out of warranty and I need to replace it.

Anyone have receiver recommendations? I'm not an audiophile so I don't want/need to spend much more then $300. Just looking for something that will power my 5.1 system and not break after 1.5 years.

2. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 1
    Popping is not a normal failure mode for a receiver. It's more likely a blown speaker. If the receiver died, the sound would be distorted, or it wouldn't work at all. The other thing that would cause popping is a bad connection somewhere, like a loose wire, or switch. If you can, switch the right and left speaker, and see if the popping moves with it. I'd hate to see you buy a new receiver to drive a blown speaker.

3. xxkinetikxx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply Slayer.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps, switched speaker wires, speakers, etc.

The popping comes and goes as well. I've moved all of the speakers to see if there was some sort of interference but nothing helps.

I live in an apartment and I'm not "that guy" that blasts his stereo, heck its probably never been over half way up haha. I wish it was a blown speaker as I have 2 extras in the closet now :(

4. mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had my samsung home theatre system for a little over 2 years with absolutely no problems. I buy everything samsung now. If you do end up having to replace it, I'd suggest one of the new samsung blueray home theatre systems. Their new speakers are awesome. Anyways, I do agree with Deer Slayer, seems like popping would be either a connection or speaker issue. Have you tried hooking up the speakers opposite each other (as in swapping the wires in the back) to see if it may be a wire or speaker issue?

EDIT: Nevermind... you posted as I was typing

5. xxkinetikxx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to be big into car audio and agree the popping sound was usually a blown speaker but just searching google for AV-R720 the first couple threads are about how the main board goes bad and snap/crackle/pop haha.

I love Samsung in general but my mom has had the same Pioneer receiver for 10 years and the damn thing is still running strong. Win some lose some I guess.

6. Bowser4x4

Bowser4x4 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If you do end up with a new reciever, look at the Yamaha's.... Been a fan of them since Sansui sold out and became low end stuff....

Woof
    Bowser

7. stuz92

stuz92 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See if this info on this link sounds like you problem:Samsung AV-R720 - front right speaker crackles - FixYa
    Talks about the static/popping in the speakers

If you want a replacement Reciever try Crutchfield.com, i've been buying from these guys for 20+ years. free shipping, good return/replacement/upgrade policy.
    They have reciever starting at $199 and up. Denon,Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony,etc.. They also keep a staff of Techs on 24/7 to help if you need them.
    Good Luck

8. Tornadic

Tornadic XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sony STRDG720. Bought mine a couple years ago for 350, it is wonderful. If you can find one still it should be less than that, they have come out with more. It does support several HDMI connections, and 7.1and everything before it.

Ooh look
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/185-0998999-7441856?a=B0015HKR46]Sony STRDG720 7.1 Audio Video Receiver - Black:Amazon:Electronics[/ame]

185$