Asking for Revolver Suggestions

Discussion in 'Wheelguns' started by Lefthanded Shooter, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Lefthanded Shooter

Lefthanded Shooter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried a couple of searches but nothing jumped out at me so I will risk duplicating by asking for some help regarding purchasing a revolver.

I want to add a revolver to my XD-40 Service. However, I am unsure what to buy. I would appreciate some suggestions from those that would be interested in responding. Please, I do not want to stir up any controversy, but would like to know what others suggest.

I have not made any decision about caliber, so please include that along with brand, model, and other info about what to consider.

TIA for taking time to reply. :) Always shoot safely and straight.

LS

2. RobFMJ

RobFMJ XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a huge fan of Dan Wesson revolvers, but theyre all but out of production now, so you have to buy used

I've got a 6" .357 Magnum and an 8" .44 Magnum

3. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Telling us what you want it for will make this go a lot faster and a whole lot easier (i.e. - Plinking, Targets, Personal/Self Defense/Carry, Hunting, etc.)?

There are literally too many fish in the sea to just throw out suggestions for a revolver without knowing more about what your intended purpose for it will be.

4. rystineusmc0311

rystineusmc0311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I say go for a Smith and Wesson revolver in .357 magnum. With a .357 mag you can shoot .38 special for some cheaper practice and then shoot full power .357 mag or .38 +p for self defense.

The model 686 series is a good gun to look at. There's lots of different variations of it, different barrel lengths, different cylinder sizes, etc.

The model 60 is another good one to look at if you're wanting something a little smaller.

Both of those are open hammer revolvers, which I prefer. There are of course a whole bunch of closed hammer models too. And like I said, I like Smiths, others like rugers or taurus. Its up to you.

5. Lefthanded Shooter

Lefthanded Shooter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the responses thus far. I appreciate you taking time to make suggestions.

ORD, I do not want to offend you as I value your thoughts. However, I am pretty new to being a handgun owner, and shooter, so I still have some uncertainties. That is why I am interested to know what others like so I can research about them and learn what their capabilities are.

Most of the things you suggested as possible uses are of interest to me, except for hunting which I no longer do.

If my question is too open ended for your to offer more specific suggestions, that is OK. I still appreciate your ideas and you trying to help. :D BTW, I am a West Virginia that moved to VA, about 25 miles from my home in the eastern panhandle, 40 years ago. However, my heart is still loyal to the Mountain State and "most" of what it stands for. :wink:

LS

6. Joeywhat

Joeywhat XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I say a 4" .357 mag. If you get a smaller framed .357 (like a K frame) you'll get a controllable gun with a decent capacity that is pretty easy to conceal. It'll work for plinking, CC, and would make for a good hunting sidearm.

7. The DRis

The DRis XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Ruger GP100. Don't ever just buy a .38 it's a waste of money. If all you want to shoot or mainly shoot buy a .357 anyway. Then you can switch over to .357. Almost like two guns in one.

8. Broadside

Broadside XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first handgun was a S&W 686 357 Mag 6". At the time it was the very best revolver made and for what I used it for the best caliber.

If I had to pick just one handgun of the ones I currently own it would be my S&W 686. S&W now makes a model 627 out of the performance center which holds 8 rounds verses the 6 rounds of the 686. I've shot the 627 its everything you could ever want out of a revolver, action is smooth, accuracy is off the chart.

If I were picking up a new revolver, it would be the 627. You can find them for about $800 - $900 new. Its on the list to purchase next year.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...ted=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15714

[​IMG]

9. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hey man...no offense taken whatsoever. I was just wondering if you had some use in mind because it doesn't do you a lot of good if you are looking for a SD revolver and someone recommends a S&W 500 Mag!! ;)

I tend to agree with most of the other posters about a 4" or 6" Smith of some variety. I have a 586 4" that I have owned for 20+ years now. It was one of my first revolvers and I'll never get rid of it. Beautiful blueing, great sights, great balance and very good accuracy out to 50 yards with just about anything you want to feed it. The 686 is the same pistol, but in stainless steel instead of blued.

If you want to spend the money, it is hard to beat a Colt Python 4". These are just some of the best revolvers ever made IMHO.

Those are probably your two best bets in terms of all-around good target, home defense...even competition revolvers.

The new line of S&W Night Guard pistols also show a lot of promise. You might dig up S&W's site and take a look around. Anything you get from Smith will be an excellent product. I'd stay clear of the J-frame (small frame) revolvers for now. Stick with the K-frame and the L-frame revolvers.

As for your move south to VA...let me guess...Winchester? I get over to the E. Panhandle fairly often. I have some good friends over that way, including some that live in WV and drive over to Winchester for work.

Good luck and God bless...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. Polymerhead

Polymerhead XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yup, I figure a 4" 686 is just about perfect for a general-use gun. Long enough/heavy enough to shoot accurately without too much recoil. Stainless for low maintenance. Able to shoot everything from a 148 gr Black Hills wadcutter in 38 Spl that won't recoil at all, all the way through to the toughest 357 mags. 38 special high velocity rounds would make for a great personal defense round that even the wife/kids can shoot with authority. It's a great range/backpacking/truck or car gun.

If you're looking to carry concealed, that's a completely different animal and about the only task the 686 isn't up to.

11. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +381 / 4
    I'd suggest, for general use, plinking with possible defensive set-up, that the .357 suggestions are right on the spot, in either 4" or 6" barrel. I'd also opt for stainless, partially for ease of care, partially for esthetics (I have a thing for stainless revolvers...).

My first choice would be the Ruger GP-100 (currently, my only .357), with my second choice being a S&W 686. The GP seems to fit my hand better than the 686; however, the 686 has a much nicer trigger. I also like that the GP is built like a tank. If I was to buy a 686, I would look for a pre-lock model. It's a personal choice; I just don't care for them.

Pythons are nice, but, as mentioned earlier, very, very pricy. I used to have one, and somewhat regret getting rid of it, but not so much I'm actively looking to replace it.

I also used to have a Taurus Tracker...it was a decent pistol for the price (I paid $250 for it used, iirc), but I simply cannot understand why Taurus thought it was necessary to port a 4" .357...all it did was make it louder.

These are all double-action revolvers--in single action, a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is pretty much everything I'd look for...accurate, a good trigger, adjustable sights, and utterly bombproof. Grat for a woods gun, or plinking, but I would not make a single-action revolver my first choice for a possible defensive weapon.

Hope this helps a bit...

12. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    S&W makes some nice revolvers but dont overlook the Ruger GP-100. I have both brands and I will say that my Ruger shoots incredible groups and is built like a tank.

13. mullarz

mullarz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a big fan of my Taurus 617. Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

7 shot of .357/38 in a compact revolver and the trigger is smother than on my S&W 642. Mine has the bobbed hammer and is ported great shooter even with mag loads.

Too bad I lost all of my guns in that boating accident last year. I sure miss them.

14. danp

danp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Everyone needs at least one single-action revolver. I'd go for a Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag. You can shoot .44spl in it (just like the whole .38/.357 thing) plus you get to tell your friends that you have a .44 Magnum.

15. mullarz

mullarz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Not to mention that great Click, Click, Click of the action, almost as good as hearing a leveraction 30-30 at work.