Army Cuts WTT training

Discussion in 'U.S. Military Services & Veterans' started by SpicyMcHaggis1812, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SpicyMcHaggis1812

SpicyMcHaggis1812 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Army May Slash 'Warrior Task' Training

Looks like the army is trying to decrease the number of Warrior Tasks in basic from 32 to 12, decreasing battle drills from 11 to 4 and :shock: cutting Rifle Bayonett Training!!!! no more "What makes the green grass grow? Blood, Blood, bright red Blood Drill Sergeant!"....think I'm gonna cry....seriously though, I think the WTT is there for a reason, and all you are doing is shorting soldiers what they need the most when they need it. Most of the kiddies are going to be in Iraq or Afganistan within one year of completing basic and not being able to call in a medivac, call for fire, use some basic firearms, set up a claymore, use an ASIP, this is just going to put more strain on squad and team leaders to pick up the slack and conduct more hip pocket training (hate that term). OK rant over...carry on.

2. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Many have said bayonet training is ineffective and I say that's BS. Bayonets are extremely effective and the Brits have used them to good effect lately. Some unit command philosophies discourage lethal close combat and many people are affraid to close to that range. Either way, one should be prepared to deal with it should it arise.

3. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 4
    The Army is starting to go in a direction I REALLY dont like...

4. SpicyMcHaggis1812

SpicyMcHaggis1812 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think this policy is going to get a lot of REMF's (no offense guys) hurt should sticky situations arise. If just because you are a mechanic, or a truck driver, you still will need basic infantry tasks if SHTF...its like the army wants to give you the coolest new toys and technology but shyes away from basic non-tech skills that can save lives but do take time and mental space to teach. Every soldier still needs a good compass, protractor, map and the skills to navigate with out a GPS. Just fustrates me that good, smart soliders who are tasked with teaching Basic Training are basically being told whoa don't teach them so much, they can't handle it.

5. V Man

V Man XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on what SpicyMcHaggis said.

If they were going to supplement the training with other more effective CQC training I might agree with this decision. there are only two kinds of bayonet fighters "The Quick and The Dead". I wonder which kind of bayonet fighters our boys will be if they aren't receiving proper training?

The GPS thing drives me crazy I guess because I am old school about land Nav. I imagine that the GPS are pretty reliable if you are in an open area and can always lock on to 3 sats, but if I were still in you bet your a@# I would have the back up to the point man using a compass.

6. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 4
    Todays Army would be lost if we had no GPS and had to fight a cold war.

7. matlt

matlt XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I never even saw a bayonet overseas. I havent seen a bayonet since bayonet actually. That being said, it's basic training, a drill sergeant's job is to turn kids into soldiers, whether combat arms, mechanics, or desk jockeys. I've always thought basic training should be redesigned (I have no idea what it's like after they increased it to 13 weeks), but isn't WTT the heart and soul of basic? Wth are they replacing it with? Nap time or share your feelings time?

8. ah8176

ah8176 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Lame.

I kind of feel bad for the Army. It's hard to maintain a level of professional respect when stuff like this happens to them, and you know it detracts from their combat effectiveness.

Bayonets are invaluable weapons, especially in the Middle East. I don't know if it was just Iraq, but those people ABSOLUTELY FREAK OUT whenever you produced a blade. We fixed bayonets a few times and they worked fantastic when doing crowd control. Like I said, you could point a rifle in their face all day long and they wouldn't hiccup, but when they got violent and threw rocks...just fix bayonets and they immediately got worried and Shut the **** up. They were great at de-escalating a situation fast.

9. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I carried a bayonet for the entire length of both tours in Iraq. Totally confident in it and my ability.

10. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    That's funny. I spent three years in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia). So, I can relate to their mindset. They use swords to lop off heads ... them blades is scary. ;)

I carried a bayonet in RVN (I would have rather had a k-bar). Never had to use it, but I'd practice with it regularly (both fixed and not). Never knew when the p.o.s. m-16 I was issued would stop working when the slopes were loose inside the wire.

11. cce1302

cce1302 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  12. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You guys get all the good stuff ... :-D

Chontosh, definitely "got some" on that day! Should have been awarded a MOH.

13. ah8176

ah8176 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeah, they were sweet, but expensive if you lost one, and pain if you were a SAW gunner or had a 203 mounted to you 16, because then you never got to mount it. :(