AR-Optics

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Ajcrash, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Ajcrash

Ajcrash XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm looking to get a red dot, and possibly a standard scope set for my flat top Stag AR. I don't want to break the bank yet and go for the Eotech, or Aimpoint.

Does anyone have an idea on something in between? I was looking at the TruGlo, Bushnell Trophy, and a Simmons. Any experiences with these?

I've spent my time on ARFCOM and the likes looking into it and my head is swimming from all of that.:-?

2. jdavionic

jdavionic XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a SPOT Mk III with 3 MOA dot. I love it. I read a review on AR15.com and it was well recommended. A friend a local gun shop highly recommended it as well, citing a video of a torture test where it faired very well against the AIMPOINT. The most common negative was that it has a bluish hint that's noticeable in a dark in environment (e.g., indoor range). Well I got mine and found that it was true. It was true that it's a real nice red dot for the money. And that it does have that slight bluish hint, which didn't really bother me.

I bought mine locally; but you can get it online for around $165. Here's one place:
    http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?store_code=MSP&screen=PROD&product_code=SPO-MK3-NR3

Here's what it looks like on my AR:
    [​IMG]

3. nikon777

nikon777 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0

yes thats probably one of the best Aimpoint clones.

4. Ajcrash

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That was another one I was looking at; and had heard pretty good things about as well. I hadn't heard the blue hint part, but I don't think that would bother me as much as the huge dent in my wallet that some other options may.

5. jdavionic

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same opinion. And after buying it, I can say that the folks that cited it were correct. But it really is a non-issue for me.

6. jdavionic

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's a real crappy pic where I attempted to show the view through the real sight (i.e., co-witness). Sorry for the quality...I'm photographically challenged. It does co-witness with the red dot on the tip of the front sight, when the eye view is properly aligned. It is in the lower portion of the diameter of the red dot when viewed that way. But again, not a big deal to me.
    [​IMG]

7. Ajcrash

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Now I'm kicking myself. I saw a NIB SPOT Mk III go on ebay today for $120 +12 shipping. lol. Oh well another, or something else will come around.

I got a new job yesterday, so I'm splurging a little on a couple little things I've been wanting, but couldn't justify without the work.

8. Bidah

Bidah XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How is that on batteries? I have thought about getting a couple for my 2 boys AR's. I have the EOTech on mine and really like it.

9. Ajcrash

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The website says it gets 150 hour runtime... jd ought to be able to let us know how accurate that is.

10. AKM

AKM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll put in a plug for the Propoint. I have one on my AR and I'm very happy with it for the price.

An Eotech is on my list for the AR "someday" and then the Propoint will go back to the AK.

A little OT, but I'll tell you 2 things I'd really love to see on a holographic sight:

1. Auto shut-off if the sight is in a position other than upright and hasn't moved for 5 mintues.

2. 3X or 4X zoom that you can pivot in and out of the sighting plane.

11. Broadside

Broadside XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the EoTech's. Here is a pic I took tonight also check out my project pics I just posted to the AR photo thread.

[​IMG]

12. boricua9mm

boricua9mm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If you buy a cheaper optic and it fails, it is no longer a cheap optic. Buy once, cry once! Mine is an Aimpoint Comp ML2, but the ML3 gets the nod nowadays it's smaller 2MOA dot. Still fast, but keeps you precise at longer ranges.

[​IMG]

13. Ajcrash

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Granted, but eventually I'll get their. I'm pretty optic challenged as it is, so unless it's downright spectacular, or horrible. I'm not really going to know the difference...yet. I've always just used iron sights, but I recently got an AR so I figured I'd check out a red dot.

14. jdavionic

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got it at Christmas time...my wife's present to me:D I've shot it a lot...but I'm not close to 150hrs or even 100 hrs, at this point. So far, it has the original batteries. I would add that I bought a package of 2 replacement batteries at Walgreens (CR2032, IIRC). I have a plug on my grip. Inside the plug, I keep the 2 spare batteries.

15. River Bend

River Bend XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want the best and don't mind the term "used" start hitting you local Pawn shops & gun stores, if you see a 1st generation Bushnell Holosite on something, offer them $125 for it and odds are you will get it for $150. I have bought 3 that way and the 1st generation worlks the same as the newer ones that go for $350 up. They are just a little longer and take the N size batteries but we use them all year with lithium batteries for IPSC 3 Gun copmpetitions. Eotech bought into the Bushness idea and shortened it a bit and added a massive protective shield, the older ones are strong enough umnless you're diding ionto fox holes. We do a lot of dropping prone & rolling around in the IPSC shoots and have yet to damage one, and that bis after 5 years of use.:mrgreen: