AR-223 reloads

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by radio, Jan 18, 2009.

1. radio

radio XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello,
    I am getting ready to start reloading 223 for my new colt AR (1 and 7 or 1 and 8 twist barrel) and would like some input from you guys on what you use. Have been reloading for several years but mostly 45 ACP and 243.
    If I have posted in wrong forum please let me know.
    Thanks,

2. pickjare

pickjare XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I would answer by saying it depends on what results you would like. If you are shooting your AR at targets at long range, my suggestion would be to load some Berger 75 grain VLD (very low drag) bullets. A bullet weight of 75 grain might surprise you since your shooting .223, but at long range, with a 1:8 twist, these bullets will perform well. Specifically, they will tolerate more side wind than other bullets. Don't try to crank up the velocity too much either. If you are shooting rock chucks with your AR, at close range (less than 150 yards), I would use a 55 gr. HPBT, and again, with a fast twist rate like 1:8, don't try to see how high your chronograph can go, keep the velocity mid to low for the bullet weight you choose. My bet is that you will find larger and larger group sizes as you decrease bullet weight below 55 grain.

3. KEVWYO

KEVWYO XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    I mostly punch a lot of holes in card board so plain old 55 grain FMJBT's is what I load about 80% of the time. I will give props to the Hornady V-Max bullets. Milk jugs, watermelons, pumpkins and the like are funner than heck to shoot with these. For such a small bullet they can really do some damage!!!

4. baldp8

baldp8 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I am still in the process of working up my reloads for my AR but am currently using the Hornady V-max 55gr bullet. My first attempts did not cycle with the lowest recommended charges so I had to increase a little. Using IMR 4895 for the powder. They seem pretty accurate and cycle well. I loaded some Barnes 53gr X-bullets using Varget powder but the temp here plummeted and I have not been out to shoot them yet. Don't load very many until you know they will cycle properly. I had never loaded for a semi auto before and found out the hard way...

5. WyoXD

WyoXD XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So far I've just been loading 55 gr. FMJ's from either Winchester or Remington (so far my AR likes the Remingtons better) for paper punching and plinking. My powder of choice is Hodgdon H335; it shoots well, is very clean, and meters beautifully. I will be loading some kinda of 55 gr. expanding bullet next; I just haven't decided on what yet. My goal is to have a load with the same velocity as my FMJ's so my point of impact is the same between field ammo and practice ammo. I plan to stick with 55 gr. as I like their performance on critters coyote size and smaller.

6. xdmikey

xdmikey XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    55s cause their as cheap as the paper I'm shooting at. Just tried out my first loads w/AA2230: fairly clean, meters well(LNL), cycles at close to the start load.
    Hopefully I'll get out today for a little testing, although tomorrow would be more appropriate-hell, why not both days?

7. radio

radio XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks guys for the information. This will give me a good starting point. I plan on mostly target shooting from 150 tot 200 meters and some small critter hunting.

8. The_Wraith

The_Wraith XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    for plinking go with 55gr hornady 2267 for more serious target practice go with the sierra 69gr match king.

for critters id go with teh Sierra 55gr spitzer

9. Bidah

Bidah XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For 90% of my shooting, and the ranges that you are talking about, I use 55gr FMJ. Cheap and effective. Depending on the rifle, and the ranges that I am shooting, I will move up to 69gr, 75gr, 77gr, or even 80gr (single load only, too long for mag length).

For the 55gr loads I use AA2330 or RamShot Tac. For the heavier loads I usually switch to AA2520. I have used BLC 2 and 4895, and they work fine. Others that I know swear by Varget, but that is too costly for me and a general load.

10. ZXD9

ZXD9 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use AA2230 for the 55g Hornady FMJ and Varget for my 68/69/75g bullets.

11. HB of CJ

HB of CJ XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 12
    This subject is open to debate. Since your fine rifle doesn't employ a firing pin retaining/return spring, it MIGHT be best and safest to use only military specification HARD PRIMERS when you reload. Your firing pin floats.

The intention here is to prevent an occurance where your rifle MAY double using handloads with soft primers in an enviroment that MIGHT raise questions concerning the legality of your rifle. Hate to have the BATFE knocking.

Others WILL post stating that they have NEVER had any problems with soft primers and they are exactly correct. Low order of probablility. We are discussing here the POTENTIAL for a slam fire, no matter how likely or unlikely.

How low of probability is a low order of probablility? Dunno. Rack some rounds thru your rifle and examine the primers. You will see a small dimple strike. May never be a problem with soft primers, but why take the chance? HB of CJ