AR-15 Poll: Which one would you rate the best?

Discussion in 'The Polling Place' started by roberto-232, Oct 27, 2006.

?

AR-15 Which one would you rate the best?

1. Colt

2. Bushmaster

3. Rock River Arms

4. S&W M&P

5. Armalite

6. DPMS

7. LMT

8. Olympic

9. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. roberto-232

roberto-232 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok there are a number of AR-15 versions out there. Which one would say is the best of the best?

These are the only ones I could think of, which I figure are the most known.

2. XDAndMe

XDAndMe XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  3. roberto-232

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What brand is that?

4. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Hmmm... the best?

I'd say the best is one that is built for you, either by you or by someone else. If you build it yourself/have someone else build it you can get everything you want and nothing you don't.

They all have some drawbacks.
    • Colt's are notoriously expensive and not all the parts are combatible with other makes.
    • Rock River Arms only uses Heavy Barrels (HBAR) so there are no lightweight or Government (i.e. light under the handguards) profiles.
    • Bushmaster seems to be a pretty even mix. They have good barrel selections and their parts are compatible with others. Plus their seleciton of configurations are good.
    • Olympic has decent quality control and uses good parts.
    • Stag/CMT rifles are only offered in M4 and 20" rifles, but are top notch quality.
    • LMT offers a pretty good selection but they can get a little pricey too.

A few others are:
    • Armalite- The innovator of the AR15 and offers quite a few varieties.
    • Cavalry Arms
    • DPMS
    • Eagle Arms (rebranded Armalite)
    • Ameetec-Arms --they had a special on complete lowers for $200.
    • CMMG- Excellent quality firearms but you'll pay a bit more than you will with some of the others.
    Other companies that make/assemble ARs have excellent reputations for quality work and 'built to order' configurations but you'll pay for these premiums.

A few are:
    • MSTN
    • ADCO firearms
    • AR15barrels.com
    • Denny's Guns/ GTS
    There are quite a few of others, but these are the first that came to mind.

Suppliers of kits vary...
    • Del-ton uses quality parts and has excellent service.
    • M&A parts has a great selection.
    • Model1Sales offer cheap configurations for shooter grade ARs.
    • JT distributing offers a good mix between quality and price.

5. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0

That's not an AR15; it's technically a Sig 556.
    And if you were going to go that route I'd say you pony up the money and get a real 552/551 with the side folding stock.

[​IMG]

Some other alternatives if you want something different are piston driven upper recievers for the AR15.

POF-USA makes one and I think DS Arms sells them.
    and Leitner-Wise makes one.
    Sig should have one out soon and so should Colt (although I'm not sure if it will/has hit the civilian market).

6. BBunin

BBunin XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    AFAIK, the Sig 556 is STILL not available in the US.
    And when it finally IS available, I will purchase my first EBR.

7. movezig

movezig XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ZM Weapons LR 300

[​IMG]

8. PackerfanXD

PackerfanXD XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Why is this bad? I'm getting an AR soon and was considering RRA.

9. roberto-232

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally for me that’s a must…..I want a heavy barrel. I’ve owned two AR’s and both have been heavy barrel.

We have RRA AR’s at work and I think they keep up pretty good. When you think they aren’t assigned to anyone so they just get abused by everyone. They have been keeping up with the abuse.

10. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the extra weight isn't really needed. Click here for a view on different barrel profiles.
    From Bushmaster's site:
    Heavy 16" = 2.7 lbs
    Fluted 16" = 2.3 lbs
    M4 GI 16" = 2.2 lbs

I don't mind the extra weight, my barrel is a HBAR, but some people do. Personally I think it's more important to get a barrel twist that is more appropriate for the type of shooting you plan on doing.

Older barrels (ala M16A1s) came in 1/12" twist and generally are incapable of shooting accurately any bullet over 55grains. Most barrels from manufacturers are a 1/9 twist which stabalizes the more common 55 & 62 grain bullets and some report will stabalize match grade bullets 69-75grains.

Personally if I could do it again, I'd go with a 1/7" twist so that I'd have the option to shoot heavier bullets while still having the ability to shoot the more common surplus (55-62grain) bullets. Of course if you plan on using this rifle for varmint shooting or other small game you'd probably want a slower twist and somthing like 1/8, 1/10, or greater would give you greater stability for varmint sized bullets, I think Winchester makes a 45 grain varmint bullet.

There's much to be said about the varieties of the AR15 and a good bit of it comes down to personal preference. I would say that if this is to be a 'target rifle' or for serious use (other than just making pop cans explode on the range) I'd spend the extra money and get a Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger.

11. roberto-232

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, Krackels…..You sound very knowledgeable when it come to the AR-15 line.

I’m looking at mid November when I’m going to purchase another AR (Sold the other two a long time ago, and have the itch for a new one). I’m wanting a M4 style rifle that if needed I could use for work (Patrol Sgt) and get good all around shots either close or distance. I’m thinking about adding a light and laser. With a either Leopold or EOTech down the road.

I was at a Police Supply where they sell RRA, Bushmaster, Colt and the M&P. I asked the guy which one was best and he stated the best gun for the money was a Bushmaster Modular Carbine. Looks really cool and here is the make up:

Bushmaster’s 16” Modular Carbine combines many of the most requested AR accessories; an A3 type Flattop Upper, a 16” chrome lined chromemoly fluted barrel and milled gas block. Includes a 6 position stock. A quick detach sling swivel mount can be positioned to the left or right side of the carbine. A four rail free-floater tubular forend combined with the A3 type flattop upper receiver provides rails to mount a wide variety of accessories. Molded rubber rail grips snap over the handguard rail sections for comfort. The rear flip-up sight is a dual aperture B.M.A.S. detachable unit with a windage knob calibrated to 1/2 MoA. The B.M.A.S. front sight folds down for scope use and flips up with a button. It incorporates an elevation adjustable M16A2 front sight post. The ergonomic pistol grip is ambidextrous and molded of hard urethane with a non-slip stipple finish. The forged, lightweight, 7075T6 aircraft quality aluminum receiver includes cartridge case deflector, last round bolt hold open and raised ribs for magazine release button protection. Features: 10 round magazine (accepts all M16 types). Black web sling. Lockable, foam lined case. 5.56mm (.223 Rem.). Length-34.5”, 16”, 1 in 9” R.H. twist barrel. Weight-7.3lb

The price is like $400 over the regular M4. Is this a better deal? And which model would you go for?

12. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    These are from POF-USA's website and show a the gas-piston upper reciever and parts. Personally, the thing I hate most about the AR15 is how dirty it gets. This is one of the better ways to get around it. Keep all that crappy carbon where it belongs, in the barrel.

Those that know the AR will notice that the gas key is modified.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/v/IhUahGCfdxE
    This is a video about HK's 416 Rifle which I believe is already out, but it is also a gas-piston upper reciever.

I don't care much for the diopter sights, but the gas-piston is a great improvement.

13. Krackels

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    \

Seeing as you'll possibly be using it for duty this rules out a kit rifle and perhaps even separate upper & lower recievers for possible liability issues.

This is the rifle you are talking about, except with a 6 position stock.
    [​IMG]

I've heard great things about Bushmaster. My only gripe is the price, the MSRP is really high, and the rear sight.

This is a close up of the sight.
    [​IMG]

While that sight offers elevation and windage which some Back Up Iron Sights don't offer it's way too high for a scope mount and would need to be removed or replaced for proper eye relief. You'd be better served if you could replace the sight with a low mount folding BUIS. An Arms#40 (L or A2), Troy, or another folding BUIS.

[​IMG]

If you planned on using the scope for general shooting and not any duty applications then it probably wouldn't be a problem to remove the BUIS and place the scope. Most good quick detach scope mounts can be removed and replaced with little change to the zero.

A pretty comprehensive list of BUIS' can be found here.

There's really too much to be said about the AR and I don't have all the answers, but many can be found here by searching. If you don't find what you're looking for PM me what you are trying to find and I'll search the Archve server for you.

My general consensus is that your rifle seems to fit your purposes fine and Bushmaster definately has a good reputation, but the tightwad that I am wonders if there is a better deal to be had.

14. PackerfanXD

PackerfanXD XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0

Thanks. :D

15. Apdl

Apdl XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i picked bushmaster but i am a little bias:twisted: