AR-10 or Saiga 308?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Rustynuts, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Rustynuts

Rustynuts XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 15
    Which is better? Basically an AR vs AK thread I guess. I'd assume the Saiga would be more rugged, but the AR would be more accurate? Not sure if that applies to the 308 versions. The Saiga would need converted as usual to get all the cool stuff on it.

2. ORD

ORD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I guess it depends on what purpose/role you have for the rifle...

Having owned both...the AR-10 is a good base for a precision semi-auto, capable of sub-MOA accuracy with the right setup, huge variety of aftermarket parts/accessories (AR-15 and AR-10 specific) making the sky the limit in terms of what you want for the rifle, easy to mount optics of just about any type/variety, easy to operate and maintain for anyone experienced with the AR-15 platform. As for drawbacks...mags are expensive at around $50/mag. Initial cost of getting into an AR-10 is also significantly more than the Saiga. If you want to punch holes in paper (or anything else) at longer ranges with excellent accuracy...the AR-10 is likely the way to go.

As for the Saiga...they are extremely reliable with just about any ammo. They are well-made and very durable just like any other AK or AK-based rifle. Converting, as you said, is necessary to put on any of the "evil" features. The accuracy I have seen from the Saigas is not sub-MOA, but still nothing to sneeze at. It would make an excellent shorter range hunting rifle or target rifle capable of 1.5-2 MOA accuracy will good ammo (maybe better with some tuning and handloads).

3. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    I say get the saiga.

4. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    tough call, i have neighter, and i want both of them.

Really if you can only have one, it comes down to price, and what sort of accuracy you desire.

If you can afford both, it wouldnt be a bad idea to buy a $549 saiga .308, then order up a ar10 lower.

5. HB of CJ

HB of CJ XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 12
    Have owned NEITHER the Saiga 308 or the AR10, but had the chance to shoot both. MY Saiga 308 16" arrives next week. (hopefully!) The AR-10 was very nice, but felt just like another HBAR AR15 with more recoil, power and reach.

About the same for the Saiga 308, which is, as far as I was told and could tell, pretty much AK47 inside and out, but also with more recoil, power and almost the same reach. The final factor in my choice was the $bottom line$.

Another option for me was the FN-LAR Para with the 18" barrel with the factory folder. Lead time was 6 months and the asking price was $1950 without the options I wanted. That left me with the Saiga 308 at around $677 delivered.

Add about another $250 for more U.S. parts the way I want it and there you go. Mags for both the AR10 and Saiga 308 are spendy. FN mags are cheap, but the rifle is VERY spendy. Your choice in the end. What a decision! HB of CJ

your choice post

6. plinker

plinker XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I got the DPMS LR308 16"HB (AR-10). Accuracy is awesome for a 16" barrel.
    I like the endless available accessories.
    Very easy to mount optics.
    I had just bought an S/A M1A, so the DPMS didn't seem too expensive. Compared to the Saiga I suppose the AR-10 is a little pricey.

7. UncleBuck

UncleBuck XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Armalite AR-10's are a 6 to 8 month wait. Ronin here at XDTalk mentioned he may sell his. Mags are no more expensive (in relative costs) for the AR-10 than they are for other models as they have gone up as well. When Armalite had their web sales I bought 5 for $150 at a time. Warranty/Parts/Service are unbeatable at Armalite as is the accuracy and combat ready their firearms are.

8. arizona98tj

arizona98tj XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Very good question....which is better. They would both be nice to have.

I have an Eagle Arms and a Saiga, both in .223.....the "smaller pair" of what you are looking at. I've no doubt the Saiga will go through hell and back before it stops running. I can't say that with any confidence concerning the AR patern.....but I won't be using my Saiga as a longer range varmit rifle either. It's a go to rifle for < 100 yards.

Both have their purpose and both are good at it. What do you need most....or what budget can you afford. Either will influence your decision.