Anyone have accuracy issues with the XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by 57K, Apr 18, 2013.

1. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    I ask because my shooting partner has one and so far it has been disappointing. Please don't waste my time with advice on how to shoot accurately. My shooting partner is an excellent and very experienced shooter and shoots extremely well with any pistol that he owns, or the ones that I own. Please understand that I am a fan of the XDm and own the 4.5 in .45 ACP that's a tackdriver.

He mentioned the accuracy issues before our last shoot which was yesterday. He fired both factory ammo as well as several handloads I make that we know to be accurate. I bought a Ruger SR9 a little over 3 weeks ago and it is very accurate. To prove his point, he shot groups with my SR9 that were excellent, and groups through the XDm 3.8 C that were unimpressive. The best load we fired was with one of my handloads using the 124 gr. Montana Gold JHP over a warm charge of Ramshot Silhouette. It shot exceptionally well through the SR9, and while it gave him the best accuracy in the XDm 3.8 C, the groups were average at best.

We're both interested in opinions from you guys that have the XDm 3.8 C. I don't need any information regarding other XD or XDm 9mm pistols. My shooting partner has considered installing a trigger kit from PRP or Springer, but feels like that may just be throwing good money after bad. He's also considering selling the pistol and buying the Ruger SR9c, or maybe the SR9 if he becomes convinced that he can properly conceal it. That is an entirely feasible proposition because the SR9 is as thin or thinner than the Dan Wesson CBob he sometimes carries. He'd really like to stick with the XDm C because he's bought 5 or 6 extra mags to go along with the 2 that came with the pistol. Match grade accuracy is not what he's expecting, but neither does he want to carry an inaccurate pistol. So how do you guys that own them and carry them feel about their accuracy? ;)

2. toreador

toreador XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own both and I shoot equally well with both.

Maybe the ergonomics of the XDM aren't for him. Also, the grip angle can be different for some people. The Ruger is more 1911 style.

That or he has a bad barrel? Doubt it, but if we're guessing...

3. azfist

azfist XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 2
    To me if someone walks around knowing they are great experienced shooters, they won't learn anything new. Not all handguns shoot the same. Just saying, he should be open minded to the possibility that it is operator error. In this case a prp would be a waste of cash, sure it helps accuracy, but he should probably figure out what is causing his lack of accuracy.

Any xd or xdm will be more accurate then the person shooting it. And to answer your question, yes my xdm is accurate.

4. birda40

birda40 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Feel the same as AZFiST, I have the 40 3.8. Out of box it was shooting low left, after about 500 rounds the trigger eased up probably got used to the pistol to. Now I wouldn't trade it. Just some time and practice, he'll be fine.

5. g40

g40 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have shot the XDM40c and the Sr40c. I was more accurate with the Sr than the XDM. Like was said different grip angle and trigger reach and pull makes a big difference that sometimes people don't realize being the cause of poorer shooting results.
    At my range a shooter was shooting left low. Checked his hand and finger trigger position and saw his trigger finger was riding side of gun. He reposition hand so finger cleared side of gun and he immediately shot better.
    I had an FN 57 that I couldn't hit the barn door, yet the gun was reported as being very accurate by most shooters. Buyer shot the gun and for some reason the gun was pretty accurate for him.
    Sand bag stable gun and see if gun still shooting way off accuracy. If it isn't then it probably is the hand effects moving the gun.
    I have a Sig P226 and a Beretta MKll that make me look like such a good marksman. I am even fairly accurate with a small Rossi .38 special with two" barrel. Hand fit makes a really big difference.

6. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    Like I said, guys, it's not an operator issue and he's never had a low left issue. His groups are well centered on the target, they're just bigger than they ought to be. Further, I shot both pistols and had the same results. The XDm C doesn't lock up nearly as tight as my SR9 as far as barrel to slide fit at the chamber or the muzzle, so I'm thinking he just got one that is sub-par. That's why I'm asking, because if no else is having an issue, most likely, he just happened to get a bad example than what is typical. ;)

7. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +387 / 4
    I know it's not a XDm9c, but I had the exact same issue when I got my XDm40.

Couldn't shoot it well, picked up any of my other pistols, and was right as rain.

Sometimes it's the pistol/shooter interface. In this case, it could be that you've got a bad barrel. However, if he feels a trigger job is throwing money in a hole, a new barrel would just be the same.

I'd find another pistol that works better for him.

8. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 9
    Yes, we understand that your buddy is an accomplished shooter. However, of all the pistols I've shot, I had the most trouble with my XD, and that was solely because of the trigger. He should try shooting it from a rest since that will help mitigate trigger manipulation issues. Again, I'm not saying it's him, but rather the squishy, crappy trigger that's on all models of XD's.

Otherwise it's either the ergos being off, or there's something not quite "right" with the pistol that is out of the norm, and it needs to go back to Springfield. Although they will likely say it's operating within expected parameters, and send it right back to him.

Pics of groups to help us determine if it's acting like an XD should.

9. CBH

CBH XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had an XDm 3.8 9mm for about 2 1/2 months before I traded it off. It never did give me that warm fuzzy feeling! :)

10. alzo

alzo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I take my time, this is about as well as I can group so far with mine. Mine has a Springer Precision Carry Trigger job. These were shot from a distance of 10 yards using my reloads:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366418452.123346.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366418557.540591.jpg

11. techvoodoo

techvoodoo XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No accuracy issues for me. That is at around 6-7 yards. Maybe others don't consider that accurate enough? I'm pleased with those groups.

[​IMG]

12. mdr6370

mdr6370 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey 57K, any chance you know someone else that has the 9C, or could rent one at a local range? To me it would be worth the effort to better pinpoint the issue.

13. M1A4ME

M1A4ME XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    My 3.8" 9MM XDM is just as accurate as my 5.25" XDM 9MM. I don't even shoot the competition model gun anymore as it offers no advantage over the smaller 9MM. I'm not the only one who shoots it better. Both of my sons like the 3.8" model better, too.

It also "eats" everything I feed it. Store bought FMJ. reloaded lead 147 grain, 124 grain HPs, 100 grain frangible target, 147 HPs. I'm very happy with it.

14. BAJ

BAJ XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Extremely accurate with the XD(m) compact 9mm.

15. elliotriley

elliotriley XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    No problems here.