Anyone ever shoot Ultramax ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Hooz, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I've been looking for some bulk, brass cased .308 ammo and I stumbled across a pretty good deal on this stuff from Ultramax. I'm always leary of reloads though (even though the Black Hills reloads have always treated me well), so I thought I'd see if anyone had ever tried it. I'm looking specifically at the 168gr Sierra HP-Match loads in .308 for starters.

2. GaryTx

GaryTx XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I bought some of it one time...it arrived with no info on the box...no caliber...no bullet weight...no nothing. Just their name.

3. The Knight Of Light

The Knight Of Light XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have used it in 223. Some of the rounds had very little or no neck tension and when the bullet hit the feed ramp inside my AR, it was driven into the casing and did not feed.

Don't know much about their 308 ammo.

4. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've shot about 500 rnds of their 9mm and I've been working on 250 rnds of their .45acp.

No problems out of them yet. The .45 (which is SWC lead bullet) is smokey as hell I feel like I'm shooting a blackpowder pistol. The 9mm (FMJ bullet) shot fine just like factory ammo.

5. ROFL XD

ROFL XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went through a box of 225 in .40, worst ammo ever. Much smokier than others, and I had 1 FTE and many failure to fires (made even more annoying by the fact that the XD is SAO). The FTF's always fired on the 2nd try, but it still bugged me a lot.

6. mcb

mcb XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have also tried some of their 40S&W both lead conical and FMJ. The lead wouldn't feed at all and the FMJ would not feed if there was more than 6rds in a magazine.

I recently got some of their 223 Rem and was impressed. It shooters better than any of the mil surplus I have tried in my AR and was very nice condition for re manufactured. It was all 05 or 06 Lake City brass and was very clean with no dents or set back bullets.

Ultramax makes most of the practice ammo used in boot camp for the army. I would expect their 223 and 9mm to be pretty good. Since 308 is still used some in the military I would bet it would be passable too.

Rambling
    mcb

7. bham shooter

bham shooter XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Is this the same stuff they sell at Cabela's?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20837&rid=&indexId=cat20837&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20837&id=0022873

I've been considering getting some, just to have a lot on hand and hopefully go shooting more. I don't really care if it is smoky or dirty since I shoot at an outdoor range, but if it has a tendency to jam, I want to stay away from it. I know it is just cheap practice ammo, but I just like for stuff to work. I know every manufacturer is going to have thier share that are duds, but it seems like some have more than others.

8. jeepinbanditrider

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm not sure Cabelas dosen't list the mauf. of the ammo. However I will say this although this ammo is re-man. I was able to find ammo for either a)cheaper in the case of wolf ammo or b)only slightly more expensive (like 10 or 20 dollars per 1000 rounds) brand new factory ammo. To me getting some once fired brass out of the deal and getting new ammo instead of re-man is worth the little bit of extra cash.

9. bham shooter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yeah, I didn't see that Cabela's had listed it, but a couple of the reviews mentioned Ultramax.

I'm not into reloading yet, but I do have several hundred empties saved for when I do decide to start. I tend to stay away from Wolf, just on the reputation. I'm sure my XD wouldn't have any trouble with it, as it eats everything I put through it, but I don't want to risk potentially damaging my extractor on my carry weapon by using steel-cased ammo.

Where have you found 1,000 rounds for only slightly more? Also, is it 180 grain bullets? My XD40 service shoots the heavier bullets much better, so I was mainly going for bulk quantities in that bullet weight to save some costs. From my experiences at Wally World and Academy, the 155-165 grain bullets are a bit cheaper than the 180s, so I have the dilemma of saving a few bucks and getting the value packs, or spending a little more and getting the 50 round boxes of 180s, and I usually spend the extra to get what shoots better. So if you've found bulk 180s for a similar price, I'd want to check them out as well.

10. jeepinbanditrider

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I can only speak of 9mm ammo. This is the only ammo I buy in bulk other than 7.62x39. I don't shoot the.45 for cost reason that often so I just get 200 rnds here and there.

11. BillSXT2002

BillSXT2002 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't use it indoors. It smells bad and is very smoky. I won't use it anymore.

12. jeepinbanditrider

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I will say that the .45 was this way it felt like I was shooting a camp and ball pistol. However I feel this is becuase of the lubricant use on the lead rounds.

The 9mm ultramax I shot (FMJ ammo) shot just like factory new ammol.

13. bham shooter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yeah, I tend to stay away from lead. I was thinking about ordering the 1200 rounds of FMJ in .40. The price is decent, plus you get the "Free" storage cans with every 300 rounds from Cabela's, which would come in handy once I start reloading. Right now I'm just wanting some decent priced, reliable plinking ammo. 1200 rounds would last me about 3-5 trips to the range, so I'd be set for a few months. Shipping costs are roughly the same as sales tax would be if I could find this price locally, but that isn't going to happen, so I would be saving some on total costs.

Thanks for all the help.

14. mdjamesd

mdjamesd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    very very smoky. I used it when I first got my xd so I could put 500 rounds through it fairly cheaply. People at the indoor range hated me that day.

15. NowhereKS

NowhereKS XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had bought the ammo box with 300 rounds of Ultramax .40 S&W from Cabelas a while back and finally got to use it this past weekend. It definitely seemed to be smoky/dirty. I'm not sure if it was unspent powder or something else in there that didn't burn up, but it was a mess. As the local range is an indoor one, I doubt I'll be using it again.

As for any kind of jamming, of the three hundred rounds I only had problems with one. It was the top one in the mag and when I closed the slide it didn't close properly. I dropped the mag out and ejected the shell and kept going without any problems. But the range has a six round limit, so I never had more than five in the mag.

Bass Pro had a good deal on Winchester .40 S&W 100 round boxes when they first opened here, so I'm gonna keep my eye out for another deal on those in the future. If you're shooing outdoors and not putting more than five or six rounds in a mag at a time, though, the stuff wasn't bad. Just be prepared for a lot of cleaning when you get home.

As a side note, it was great getting back to the range. I bought a house late last year, and working on it certainly killed my range time. I haven't completely cured myself of flinching in anticipation of the recoil, but I noticed a big improvement as I went on.