Springfield XD Forum banner

Anyone Done An Interstate Swap?

4K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  BlamBlam 
#1 ·
I found a sweet, nearly new XD-S 3.3 .45ACP FDE on Armslist for trade. The guy was interested in a Sig P938, P238, or similar. I have a P938 I've been thinking of selling and I really like the look of the XD-S (I have the same pistol in all-black), so I contacted the guy, and he's interested in the trade.

He actually gets the better deal, I think, as I'm including a Crimson Trace laser, extra grips, three 7-round magazines and five holsters ( 2 Remora, Galco, Clinger, and the included Sig). In return, I get the XD-S, two mags, and some ammo. He also mentioned holsters (although I'm already good with XD-S holsters).

Since this is interstate, I understand the trade must go through a FFL. Has anyone done this before? Any tips and suggestions? I have an FFL that will perform the shipping and transfer on my behalf.

#6 ·
Let's just say that based on my experience with both, I'd rather have the XD-S than the Sig. I considered holding back on a holster or two, or perhaps the CT laser, thinking I could use them if I get another P938, but then said, "WTH."

In my opinion, the P938 is a terrific 9mm carry pistol. But I shoot better with the XD-S, and yes, I like the FDE look. Besides, I recently added a Sig P290RS to my collection, and it's basically taken the place of the P938.

#5 ·
Ive done a few trades interstate. Like Cuda said, there isn't much to it. Drop it off at the FFL of your choosing, and ship it to his FFL. Ive traded a few pistols with people Ive met on Gunbroker. Seems a little backwards to be trading a Sig to get a XD-s. But you would know your taste in guns better than I would.

#9 ·
I found a sweet, nearly new XD-S 3.3 .45ACP FDE on Armslist for trade. The guy was interested in a Sig P938, P238, or similar. I have a P938 I've been thinking of selling and I really like the look of the XD-S (I have the same pistol in all-black), so I contacted the guy, and he's interested in the trade.

He actually gets the better deal, I think, as I'm including a Crimson Trace laser, extra grips, three 7-round magazines and five holsters ( 2 Remora, Galco, Clinger, and the included Sig). In return, I get the XD-S, two mags, and some ammo. He also mentioned holsters (although I'm already good with XD-S holsters).

Since this is interstate, I understand the trade must go through a FFL
Yes.

. Has anyone done this before?
Yes. I traded a gun with a guy just over the border of the state just west of me. We got together, and first took my gun to his FFL, where we did the paperwork. Then we drove across the river to an FFL on my side, where we did the paperwork, and it sat for the obligatory 3 days.

Any tips and suggestions? I have an FFL that will perform the shipping and transfer on my behalf.
There will need to be an FFL on both ends, one to transfer your new toy to you, the other transfers your gun to the other guy.

#21 ·
States such as California have their own laws for private out of state purchases, meaning that in my state I can ship a firearm directly to an ffl in another state and vice versa. California requires an ffl In my state to ship to an ffl in their state. Again genius, read the other states laws on purchases.

In addition, for CA, if the firearm is a handgun, it needs to be on the CA DOJ approved list.

Starting 01-01-2008, the out-of-state FFL must get approval from CA DOJ prior to shipping the firearm to a CA FFL [CA Penal Code 12072(f)(1)(A)].

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

#22 ·
States such as California have their own laws for private out of state purchases, meaning that in my state I can ship a firearm directly to an ffl in another state and vice versa. California requires an ffl In my state to ship to an ffl in their state. Again genius, read the other states laws on purchases.

In addition, for CA, if the firearm is a handgun, it needs to be on the CA DOJ approved list.

Starting 01-01-2008, the out-of-state FFL must get approval from CA DOJ prior to shipping the firearm to a CA FFL [CA Penal Code 12072(f)(1)(A)].

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2
Look, genius...

It still means that the firearm must go to an FFL, REGARDLESS of what state you ship it to.

Which is all anyone here has said, and repeatedly.

So, don't get all techy, lest I drop the goats on you.

#26 ·
To correct the thread drift: I won't do this swap without my LGS/FFL. So let's leave that discussion aside, OK?

I was asking about tips (requests I should make of my LGS, requests they should make of his LGS, etc.). This is what I have decided -- if the deal goes through (there is a hint the other party may not want to go interstate) -- I will take my pistol and its accessories to my LGS and instruct them to send to the other FFL, with a proviso that neither release the shipment until the other confirms receipt. That way, even if I send my gun to the other FFL, if the other guy backs out, they will only return the pistol to my LGS, not release it out of hand.

I would think that if the other FFL violates that agreement, it will show up on their NIC check and somehow impinge their integrity.

As you can see, the basic idea is sound, but the actual implementation may be more complicated, and I don't know all the wrinkles.

#28 ·
To correct the thread drift: I won't do this swap without my LGS/FFL. So let's leave that discussion aside, OK?

I was asking about tips (requests I should make of my LGS, requests they should make of his LGS, etc.). This is what I have decided -- if the deal goes through (there is a hint the other party may not want to go interstate) -- I will take my pistol and its accessories to my LGS and instruct them to send to the other FFL, with a proviso that neither release the shipment until the other confirms receipt. That way, even if I send my gun to the other FFL, if the other guy backs out, they will only return the pistol to my LGS, not release it out of hand.

I would think that if the other FFL violates that agreement, it will show up on their NIC check and somehow impinge their integrity.

As you can see, the basic idea is sound, but the actual implementation may be more complicated, and I don't know all the wrinkles.
I did an interstate swap with someone on this board, he has an FFL that he regularly uses, I have my FFL that I use all the time. My FFL charges 40 bucks total to ship your gun to another FFL, so the other gun owner and myself exchanged FFL information, the FFL's contacted each other and got copies of their licenses, and they both shipped the guns to the other. Then I paid another 20 bucks when I picked mine up for the FFL transfer. The 40 bucks to ship and the 20 bucks to transfer are, IMO, very fair sums to charge. The guy is running a business and deserves to make some money for his efforts.

Now, I don't know if any way to coordinate pickups and examinations so you probably need some level of trust in order to proceed, but I would think if you asked each FFL to withhold releasing the gun to the other party until everyone is happy they would work with you. They generally have a reputation to maintain.

#27 ·
I bought a pistol from a private party in neighboring state a several years back. I gave him the cash for the pistol and the shipping, he gave me a receipt with the pistol's serial number along with the seller's FFL that he wanted to ship from. I went home and found a local FFL that would receive it from the seller's FFL (for a fee of course...not sure if the seller had to pay his FFL anything), called the seller's FFL with the info of my local FFL, waited, and the local FFL called me when it was ready for pickup. When I got there, I had to fill out the transfer paperwork. I would assume that the local FFL wouldn't have handed over the pistol if my background check went south, and if I was denied, I'm not sure what would happen next, but I would likely be out some more money in the process of the seller getting his pistol back.

#29 ·
Well, in just a little over an hour if I don't hear from the other party, I'm going to consider the deal dead. And I'm OK with that.

Yesterday I ran some numbers and realized the other guy was going to get about twice the value as I would, which was enough to make me want to cancel the trade. Since his ad is still online, I'm figuring he doesn't want to go interstate.

I have to go to my LGS today to pick up my first revolver. I know they'll take about 20% off the top if I want to sell my gun, but I figure after discounting the price for wear-and-tear, adding in the extra mags I bought, and deducting the commission, I can still purchase a NIB gun that I was trading for.

#30 ·
Well, in just a little over an hour if I don't hear from the other party, I'm going to consider the deal dead. And I'm OK with that.

Yesterday I ran some numbers and realized the other guy was going to get about twice the value as I would, which was enough to make me want to cancel the trade. Since his ad is still online, I'm figuring he doesn't want to go interstate.

I have to go to my LGS today to pick up my first revolver. I know they'll take about 20% off the top if I want to sell my gun, but I figure after discounting the price for wear-and-tear, adding in the extra mags I bought, and deducting the commission, I can still purchase a NIB gun that I was trading for.
Good call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.