Any word from the hill on the new bill?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by mic_detonator, Jan 9, 2013.

1. mic_detonator

mic_detonator XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all, just had a few things i had questions about. First i will introduce myself, i'm a 30 yr old guy from Ohio. I have hunted and been the outdoors type all my life. If this ban goes into effect what will happen to the stag i have put on order back in July and still not received in? Second when do you all expect this to finalize and block me from having this new addition to the armory? Thank you all for posting on this forum as it has been very informative so far.

2. AirForceAce357

AirForceAce357 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    First, welcome to the forum.

Second, let me say what I've been saying to many people who are going all "chicken little" about an AWB--CHILL OUT!

I work in DC for a lobby firm and before that I spent 2 years working as a staffer on Capitol Hill for now retired Senator Jon Kyl (R-AZ) and still have many contacts on the Hill. I'm also very close friends with several NRA-ILA lobbyists, including the head of their federal affairs division, who is a friend of mine so I have first hand knowledge of what I speak.

While we should all be politically active and aware, the realistic odds of a new ban passing this Congress is unlikely IMPO. Obama couldn't get one passed in '09 when the Dems controlled both houses of congress with super-majorities. I can't conceive of a scenario where the GOP House majority --especially the Tea Party elements of it-- would go along and pass this nonsense. My contacts are all telling me that there is ZERO appetite in the House to take up any AWB.

Remember, just because a bill is introduced doesn't mean it goes anywhere. There are anywhere between 8-10K bills that get introduced every Congress (which is 2 yrs long) and the vast majority of them die in the bowls of a committee somewhere and that is where I predict the AWB bills will end up. Even in the Senate, there are enough GOP senators still there to filibuster and block any bill that gets brought up there.

So again, we should all be active, writing our reps and paying attention, but let's not get overcome by fear, remain rational and grounded in reality.

3. MidwestDefenseInstitute

MidwestDefenseInstitute XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Devil's Advocate - The Dems didn't want to do it in '09 because they had to worry about midterm elections (look at what happened with Clinton's Democrat legislature post-94). Obama was also obsessed with getting his big project (aka Obamacare) done.

Other devil's advocate - Obama has demonstrated before he's willing to go outside Congress to try and get things done. See Fast and Furious, and how there's now multiple-sale reporting of long guns in the border states. If he doesn't get his way, he could simply expand the NFA on his own (illegal, yes, but so was F&F).

I'm not saying that we need to be chicken little or panic or "know" it's coming. Far from it. All I am saying is that we should not downplay the threat and say "oh, it can't happen. It won't happen." It happened in 1994, after people said it wouldn't.

At this stage, I recommend people writing their representatives. Express in a polite and respectful manner what you believe on gun issues and why. Try to persuade them by virtue of seeing that they are being flooded with pro-gun letters/emails/phone calls.

Don't forget your state representatives too - your state legislature may be making state laws that could impact you.

4. Wild Rice

Wild Rice XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I heard they want to eliminate private sales and gun shows. They want us to buy our (low capacity) guns from Walmart. In my hometown, one of the most dangerous places is the Walmart parking lot at night.

5. smencinias

smencinias XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 1
    i hope you are right.

6. AirForceAce357

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    I agree with you and by no means do I suggest that it can never happen, but we do have more layers of defense against this ban than I think many people realize. And the best defense is we the people, thus we absolutely should be actively participating by contacting out reps and encouraging others to do the same. I know better than most how numerous and powerful our opposition is and how badly they want to exploit recent events to take away our rights, as I've seen them up close from the inside. All I mean is that we should be aware, active and alert but not necessarily panicked or paranoid (just like the mindset we take when we CCW). In this way we will be more effective in communicating our position to our leaders and the public, and will also combat some of the fear/panic buying that is currently inflating the hell out of the prices of everything.

7. AirForceAce357

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Rather than just hoping we should all be working to prove it right by participating to make it so.

8. Piratesailor

Piratesailor XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Welcome. Nothing will happen until the 22nd. That's the first day new bills can be brought up before the senate. It's also about the time idiot Biden will have his recommendations. Look for a very busy end of January and early February

9. mic_detonator

mic_detonator XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to trying to pick up anything from the used to the build it yourself. :D

10. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What worries me the most is that I read an article on Fox News here and I would like to call out something stated in the article:

The White House has sought to avoid prejudging what Biden's recommendations would be. But the vice president hinted Wednesday that executive action -- action by the president in which Congress would not have a say -- would indeed be involved.

If the president takes an executive action and just outright bans so called "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines... this will open the doors to further weapons bans... You give these liberalcrats an inch and they will take a mile....

11. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    What that would do is open outright warfare between the branches of government!

If the obamination by passes the legislative branch, that will be seen as an attack on the power of the senate and house.

They are very jealous of their power!

don

12. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

It has come to my attention that he has already done it twice with no ramifications. He did it with regard to the Arizona immigration law, in defiance of the Supreme Court ruling...
    I just think with the tragic Sandy Hooks incident still fresh in everybody's mind that he could, once again, take executive action with little or no objection from the senate or the house. They may not like it but they may allow it in light of recent events... Just my opinion though...

13. GrumpyMoose

GrumpyMoose XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 1
    I pretty much agree with this assessment. However, I think what we are more realistically going to see is several individual States go off (or even further off) the cliff - such as CA, IL, CT, and particularly NY with their rabid, un-hinged Gov Cuomo. Many states such as where I live will be fine, but I feel bad for those who will be caught behind these new mini iron-curtains. :sad:

14. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +784 / 52
    Welcome to the forum.

15. Partinrn

Partinrn XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Welcome to the forum. The 22nd is the earliest date we need to focus on, as far as congress. The other side of the coin is executive orders. This would not sit well with the majority and would cause a battle I'm not sure hitler...I mean barry, would want. In the mean time write your reps, calls your reps, but don't panic.