Any reviews for Federal "Classic 9BPLE" ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by velo555, Jan 2, 2010.

1. velo555

velo555 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? I can't seem to get my hands on HST rounds. Let me know what you think of 9BPLE.

2. fltbed

fltbed XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Through the 80’s and even into the 90’s this was THE 9mm law enforcement round by which all other were jugged.

The only negative thing I’ve ever heard about it was it’s occasional failure to pass the FBI’s car windshield glass test.

If I still carried a 9mm, I would have no qualms carrying this round.

Jeff

3. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +207 / 4
    I've got a few boxes of it.

It shot great out of my pistols, but I will say that when fired out of a P7, you really knew it. Very hot.

It had a great track record in it's day. There may be better choices out there now, but I'd feel confident with it in my mags.

4. velo555

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out a good carry round for my subcompact 9mm. Right now I have regular Gold Dots and Critical Defense. Once I get the Federal ammo I am going to run through the Critical Defense through during my next range session. I am looking at some Cor Bon, or short barrel Gold Dots.

5. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    It does have a good street record, but I am leary of 115grJHP loads in general, just not that much mass for good penetration on really large targets or intermediate barriers. I would choose it o/ the Hornady CD just because it is proven, but I like 124-127htJHP+P loadings especially in short bbl. 9mm. I use the BH 124grXTP+P load in my G26. It makes 1220fps & expands well in wetpack testing.

6. Birddog80

Birddog80 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See my post on this page about standard corbon, it's hot but I was not impressed.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/140178-federal-hst-4.html

The DPX expands well in all test, as does the Winchester PDX1. As I stated in my last post I'll test the PDX1 personally when mine comes in but from everything I can see it works really well, better than the gold dot and it's quite a bit hotter than the critical defense. The DPX is very expensive and it's long for its weight being all copper so it could possibly have feed issues. I have nothing to base this on though. I chose PDX1 mainly because it's cheaper and you can get it at Wal-Mart if the moon is right.

7. velo555

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone. I am not trying to argue with anyone. I just want to try to intergect some of my opinion or data I have read to help spur this post to try to get more info to help me in my "Quest for Knowledge". I will also not that I am personally looking for info that will help me decide ammo for my Subcompact 9mm. What might work good with a standard or tactical legnth barrel may not acheive proper velocity from the shorter 3" barrel of my weapon. With that said:

Did that round reach 1220 fps from your glock's 3.5" barrel? I have read that lighter 9mm rounds are not bad and that they may cause more internal damage around the wound channel. Here is one of the article's I read. It is hard to tell where the 9mm section ends (the start for the .357 magnum is not in BOLD font like the other calibers). I think of Mas as a good resource. Let me know what you think.

Tactical-Life.com Defense Loads of Choice: The Word from the Street

What were the barrel legnths of the different guns. I'm not knocking your self admitted informal test, I want to do one myself. I want to study more on the subject. I would just prefer to shoot multiple round of each ammo from each of the guns. That way I do not disqualify a round just because it may not perform well due to a certain weight/gun issue. I would like to get some HST's. I love my subcompact, it hides very well. But due to the very short barrel legnth ammo may not achieve the correct velocity for the expansion of the hollow point. Most HP bullets are designed expand in a certain velocity range. I need to select certain weight ranges and types of ammo I want to test for my subcompact 9mm and my wifes J-frame .38 special (2" barrel). I need to win the lottery or something so I can afford to do these tests.

8. vafish

vafish XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The Federal 9BPLE is the issue ammo of my local police force. They have about 2,000 sworn officers. They have had many shootings with it over the years, are very happy with it, and there is no push to upgrade caliber or ammo.

I was given a decent supply of it a few years ago. It functions 100% in my Glock 17 and 19. It is the most accurate ammo I have tried in my G17. it is my daily carry load.

9. fredj338

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    Yes, from the G26 stock bbl. JMO, but the problem w/ really light fast rounds is intermediate barrier like a forearm or side on shot through the upper arm. On a really big guy, that can be 6"-8" of muscle & bone. Most 115grJHP loads just aren't going to reach vitals. Heavier bullets carry more momentum & will likely get through these intermediate barriers. If all I had qas 115grWSTHP or the 115fe Fed load I would use it, but if I am buying, I want a bit more bullet mass. Does 9-10gr matter, maybe, but driven fast enough, the correct design, they will drive deeper than 115grJHP.

10. Birddog80

Birddog80 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only 9mm round I personally tested was the Golden Saber which I presently carry and was very disappointed. It was shot out of an xdm with 4.5" barrel. I tested the 38's out of a Ruger SP101 with 3 1/16" barrel. I don't have a chronograph so I can't say about velocity. I would have no problems carrying the Corbon DPX. You can watch a guy on youtube test it through milk jugs filled with wet newspapers fronted with 4 layers of denim. It's out of 4" barrel but I don't thing there will be a huge veloscity drop wth a 3.5" barrel. I've attached the link. Hope this helps.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yWGq3c1OI&feature=PlayList&p=BDB9A9740F47C67A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21"]YouTube - CorBon DPX 9mm +P 115 gr with Denim[/ame]

11. fredj338

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    If you are going to carry a light wt. bullet, the monometal DPX is the best way to go. Still the penetration is pretty shallow, the larger expanded dia & light wt. are just going to slow it down that much sooner. Expensive to practice with too, but you only need to shoot enough to verify relaibility, at least one box.

12. andre73

andre73 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We tested the classic 9BPLE round:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05sQLKbxx_0]YouTube - AT2 - 9mm Luger - Federal 115 Gr +P+ JHP[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_cKWm_icQ]YouTube - AT1 - 9mm Luger - Federal 115 +P+ Gr JHP[/ame]

We also tested the 9PB in the silver box:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5VdnSrh5dU]YouTube - AT2 - 9mm Luger - Federal Hi-Shok 115 Gr JHP[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCNoZK687g]YouTube - AT1 - 9mm Luger - Federal Hi-Shok 115 Gr JHP[/ame]

Hope it helps...

Andre'
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05sQLKbxx_0"][/ame]