Any idea of Springfield will do an XD in 10mm?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by MisterB, Apr 12, 2008.

1. MisterB

MisterB XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love the 10mm round. I also love my new XD45. Mating the two would be just awesome for a backwoods gun. As you know, the 10mm round is extremely potent when using full power rounds, and you can cram a ton of rounds in a magazine.

Glock has a couple of 10mm's, but other than that there aren't many other options. Many buy a Glock just to get the 10mm. Seems like a good opportunity for XD to capitalize on. This round seems to have picked up some steam lately.

Any idea if Springfield will do something like this?

Edit: I suppose none of us really know what they'll do... but why don't we discuss whether or not we would be interested in them doing this. Maybe they'll listen.

2. jcabin

jcabin XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    whats the advantage of 10mm. and why dont you see many guns produced in 10mm?

3. MisterB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The ballistics are pretty close to a 44 Magnum when using full power rounds, and the shell casings are the same diameter as a .40 S&W, so you can fit quite a few very high powered rounds in a magazine.

I think the 10mm took a beating because the FBI (who previously adopted the 10mm), ended up going with the .40. It's a hotly debated topic, but word has it that many of the smaller agents couldn't handle the recoil of the 10mm round. The .40 sort of stole it's thunder imho, even though it is anemic in comparison to the true full power 10mm round.

4. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't hold your breath.

5. bruce21b

bruce21b XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 2
    I bought a Glock 20 couple years back NIB.....

after one range session i traded it in, for some reason i could not hit the broad side of a barn with that thing....i dont know if it was the gun, the caliber or just me??????

i like the idea of the 10mm, and have to admit, if SA made one i would definitely buy it....

with these polymer style guns i dont know what the big deal is about offering it in all calibers, it cannot be that expensive to add to the production line

6. MisterB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It probably has to do with the size of your hands. The G20 has a very thick grip. You must have large hands, or you won't be able to shoot very well with it.

7. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Better get my tall boots because the BS is getting really really deep in here.

First off the 10mm doesn't even come close to the .44 mag. It can barely keep up with the .41 mag.

Second you get an average of 1 more round in a single stack magazine and two in a double stack magazine. So you don't get that much advantage of round count.

Third is that Springfield as said NFW on a 10mm XD and/or a 10MM 1911 platform.

If you want a 10mm plastic pistol buy a Glock. If you want a metal gun then look at a Dan Wesson or Fusion. I have a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail in 10mm and love the gun.

The 40 S&W did not steal the thunder from the 10mm. The 10mm recoil was too much for people with tiny weak wrists. So being in the PC world we are the girls and girly men forced the FBI to give up a superior cartridge for a watered down version.

8. bruce21b

bruce21b XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 2

yeah, you are probably right.....that is one gun that just never felt "right" in my hand...i bought it purely on impulse that day

9. MisterB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go back and read what I said, and notice I said a 10mm with "full power" rounds. If you buy DoubleTap 155gr, you'll get @ 1475fps / 750ft/lbs.

With 44 Magnum, generally the most useful remains the 240 grain jacketed bullet at about 1180 fps with 741 ft. lbs. So, yes- the 10mm IS close to the 44 Magnum.

...And I already pointed out the smaller agent thing and not being able to handle the 10mm round. The rest of what you said is just your opinion, just like some of what I said was my opinion. Maybe I should put my BS boots on too?

10. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 5
    Ruger gave up on the 10mm citing "where would it all end?" I THINK I would like to try 10mm myself.

11. MisterB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I suppose it ends when the buying public tells them it's over.

Look at the LCP Ruger just came out with. It's arguably the hottest and hardest gun to find right now. Trust me, people will be wanting them to go from .380 to 9mm or .40 in the same size package soon. And... Ruger will make a ton of money when current .380 LCP owners trade in and buy the new one. Where does it end? When the buying public stops spending money.

I really think you would like the 10mm, and appreciate the power it has to offer.

12. Terry

Terry XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The 10mm is closer to the 41mag. Altho there is not much diff between the 41 and the 44mag.
    I would buy one if Springfield made one. ( if you make it, they will come ) It would be great for hunting and bear protection.

13. FATSEXY

FATSEXY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not trying to be rude, but you are way off base if you think the 10mm can touch the .44 Magnum. Super hot Double Tap 10mm rounds may put up big numbers compared to Wal Mart .44 Mag rounds, but look at the ballistics of handloads for the big mag.

The 10mm, as stated, can not compete with the .41 Magnum, much less the .44 Mag. People like to take the highest end hand loads of the 10mm and compare them to the tamest factory loads for the .41, which is misleading. Compare handloads for the .41 Magnum and the 10mm just can't hang.

The 10mm was downloaded for recoil purposes due to FBI trainees complaining about the recoil. An engineer at S&W looked at some data and figured that they could get that same "FBI Lite" load out of a chopped 10mm case, which would lead to a smaller gun. This is how the .40 S&W came about. It was "FBI Lite" 10mm in a gun comparable to 9mm chambered handguns.

I also think it's a bit odd to call the FBI agents who complained about the recoil a bunch of sissies, because:

A) There's a difference between shooting the gun at a shooting range and shooting it consistently with full house loads.

B) The recoil complaint was probably not "ouch my wrist!" so much as it was a case of follow up shots being difficult. Go out and shoot some Norma-level loads for speed and see what kind of groups you get. Now, do it again, and imagine that your target has a gun and is trying to shoot you back. Kinda makes the FBI complaint seem more valid, doesn't it?

14. FATSEXY

FATSEXY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to keep pickin on you guys who love the 10mm so much, but...

if you're gonna use the 10mm Double Tap rounds for comparison, compare them to the .44 Magnum Double Tap rounds.

osCommerce

15. FATSEXY

FATSEXY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    osCommerce