Any and all tips IPSC/IDPA

Discussion in 'Gun Games: Shooting Competition' started by thexdmopen, May 17, 2010.

1. thexdmopen

thexdmopen XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Leave any tips you have that have helped shave seconds and helped you shoot better! :)

2. thexdmopen

thexdmopen XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    include loads and any other equipment too ;-)

3. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

If you want to go fast slow down.

5. thexdmopen

thexdmopen XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    agreed i also try to keep my thumbs higher, seems to keep my gun and grip more still.

6. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  7. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    You are welcome to disagree. My point is you shoot as fast as you can accurately hit, with practice you can shoot faster while still hitting something.
    I see many first timer shooters draw and try to shoot as fast as some of the guys that have been shooting for years. What happens they miss most of the shots and they end up taking longer to clear the steel because it's taking them 4 shots instead of one well place shot.

8. m2jordan

m2jordan XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have to agree with agalindo. I see a lot of newby's that try to shoot as fast as the older shooter and end up with a lot of misses and missing the steel. When you start out slow is better and smooth goes a long way too. With time and experience speed happens. I shoot worse the faster I try to push. Play your own game within you experience level and as time goes on you will shoot better.

9. drysideshooter

drysideshooter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After a recent match, which was only my second USPSA match, my accuracy was usually better than the stage winner. I was just, way, way, WAAAAAAAAY slower. After walking around and seeing my targets scored I realized my groups were tighter than they would need to be. The following week at the range I sent a target down to 10 yards and fired 6 shots at it, increasing the speed each time. I realized that it seemed like I was waiting for too perfect of sight alignment. At least for the closer targets, being off just a bit still put the shot in the alpha area. Instead of waiting for perfect sight alignment with the sights dead center in the alpha area, I started pulling the trigger as the front sight started to drop into the alpha area. Seemed to work for me, though I need a LOT more practice. I realize it's different for the longer shots, but I feel like I will be able to shave considerable time off the closer targets the next time I shoot. It sort of felt like an "aha" lightbulb type moment for me. Of course I'll probably learn that I'm wrong and need to rethink things.

My son and I are both shooting XDM's in 9mm. Current load that seems to be working well is 124gr Montana Gold FMJ's, 4.7gr WSF, CCI Small Pistol Primers, WCC or FC brass, loaded to 1.154"

10. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I don't totally disagree with what he said but smooth is smooth and fast is fast. If you practice both and combine them then smooth is fast. As they say it is easy to teach a fast shooter to be accurate but hard to teach a accurate shooter to be fast. If you never push yourself you will never improve.

11. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    The way I see it is I can shoot very accurate if I want but I know that on steel, if I have a decent sight picture (somewhere on the steel) I can pull the trigger and hit, doesn't matter if it's dead center or not. Just don't shoot faster than you can see. Track the sights once the sights are on target pull the trigger.

12. alsipd

alsipd XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best advice I ever got.......... Repeat after me..... Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight. Make this your mantra at the start position.

Once you learn the basics of stance, grip, trigger squeeze and follow-through; you must always see and focus on the front sight to be fast and accurate.

13. thexdmopen

thexdmopen XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  14. TacXD9er

TacXD9er XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will suggest something different. Something that every shooter, fast, smooth or slow has been plagued by at one time or another. You do not listen carefully to the stage instructions. How many times have you shot a good accurate score to discover you shot out of sequence, or missed a hidden target. :shock: That will count as seconds and points deducted from your total score.

15. agalindo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0

Agreed. Walk though the stage in your mind several times, work out where you're doing the mag changes what targets you are going to engage and in what order.

16. tenring

tenring XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Shot at my first IDPA match Saturday - I found that the large amount of straight up target shooting I have done was a huge advantage. My target aquisition/shooting came very naturally and overall I felt like the accuracy was adequate for a first try. (32 points down total - division champ had 26) - I was on average 13 seconds slower per stage than the DC (shooting CDP - 8 round/.45ACP)

The practice with my grip (nice high thumbs - Brian Enos style) and drawing/aquiring a sight picture was very helpful, I do need a bit more of that, plus reload practice, and once I got myself calm and relaxed after the first stage I shot much better.

Shooting a XD .45 Compact - 230grain WWB , from a Fobus paddle

Oh, and btw, it was amazingly fun! Very addicting, from now on I will find standing in a stall and shooting 100 rounds at paper so useless!

17. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sounds like you did well. Congrats on your first time.