Antibiotics

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by Diesel75, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Diesel75

Diesel75 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was reading an article on Survivalblog.com and Rawles mentioned this Doctor and how he prescribes Antibiotics.

Anyone order from him before?
    Products | SURVIVING HEALTHY

2. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    just buy veterinary meds and skip the shady consult fees and having your illicit scrips on file somewhere.

You could also try asking you PCP for some scrips to stock up with just in case. Most probably wont, but what does it hurt to ask? You might even be given a bag of samples if you are lucky.

3. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Yes, Veterinary supply stores sell a wide range of antibiotics. Most without a prescription. Also, many good vet supply websites, but I don't recommend getting things like penicillin online, due to the need for cold shipment.

4. Ragnar

Ragnar XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Mox-100ct/dp/B005BFSRQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320188008&sr=8-1"]100 capsules of 250mg Amoxicillin[/ame] for your fish.

5. OKcherokee

OKcherokee XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 1
    +1 for the veternary antibiotics. Easier and "less shady" to get, just as effective.

6. ackks

ackks XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The problem is their shelf life and knowing when you would need them. I know they can still be used past their expiration date, but knowing the right amount to increase it to compensate for decreased potency would be problematic.

7. MrStarofDavid

MrStarofDavid XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just take 4 more on top of the one. If you feel strange and out of touch with the world. Then you probably took to many:oops:. ;) How do you think we are able to figure things out so easy now days! Trial and Error baby!!!:twisted:

8. rockerZ71

rockerZ71 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
  9. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Does storing them in the freezer make them last longer? Vacuum bagged with oxygen absorbers?

10. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Definitely do your research!!!!

There is no set, "one size fits all" standard. You have to know what you are doing, or don't even think of storing and using antibiotics!

There are different ways to store different antibiotics. Some, like penicillin, require cold storage. Others do not. Some, like tetracycline, will overdose easily. Some are more forgiving. Some will be toxic if used after their expiration dates, or if not stored properly (tetracycline). Also, again like tetracycline, there are certain foods that must be avoided while using them (no dairy while taking tetracycline, and avoid prolonged exposure to sun too).

Google searches for antibiotic dosage and storage turn up many websites with good info. Also, there are numerous books that can be purchased on Amazon and elsewhere. Doctors and nurses are also helpful in most cases, too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dosage-Calculations-Gloria-D-Pickar/dp/0766862860"]Amazon.com: Dosage Calculations (9780766862869): Gloria D. Pickar: Books[/ame]

------------------------
    I've ordered stuff for my animals from these two websites. Again, I would not recommend ordering the meds that require injection, because they need cold storage during shipment.
    http://www.calvetsupply.com/category/Antibiotics/a
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_product_group.html?cguid=A9BCEEE7-B8F3-40AB-8EFB-B60BB12F0D9E

11. daisychain11B

daisychain11B XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure what your situation is or what you're willing to do but antibiotics could always be purchased in another country and be brought back. I've known a lot of people who have done this while on vacation. Not going to get into legalities but I've heard of people doing it.

12. HowardMan

HowardMan XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    after watching walking dead i was thinking about looking into keeping some antibiotics with a long shelf life around. id have to do a significan amount of research first though, i dont want to end up killing myself if i do need them.

13. cz75luver

cz75luver XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This is an excellent thread. I had know idea about pet meds being the same so it was very informational.

Amoxicillin is a definite, but what would be a good substitute for it if a person is allergic? What others meds do you think would be good to have on hand?

14. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    I think Cephalexin is what my wife takes. She has a strong allergy to all the cillians.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Flex-Cephalexin-250-100/dp/B005CN5EQK/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_text_b]Amazon.com: Fish Flex - Cephalexin 250 mg - 100 ct: Pet Supplies[/ame]

ps. those prices look a bit high compared to generics human meds, so you might want to try your doctor first if he is the easy going type. My fish get human Rx meds.

15. Ragnar

Ragnar XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you can find it the army requsted a study by the FDA to test the effectivity of various medicne past its expiration date because of the cost and logistics involved in replacing expired medicine outside of the US.