And the winner for the XDTalk.com November 2014 Giveaway is.....

Discussion in 'Springfield XD/XD(M) Talk Announcements' started by dascrow, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    dascrow

dascrow Administrator

Ratings:
    +36 / 2
    [​IMG]

Congrats XdonRightHip! With nearly 300 replies to sort through it wasn't easy to pick a winner at all. We would like to thank everyone that took the time to respond and let us know your thoughts on the new Mod.2. If you didn't win, don't worry because with the overwhelming response this giveaway had we've decided to launch another giveaway on Monday, November 17th, 2014.

Here is the winning post on "thoughts about the new Springfield Armory XD Mod.2"

xd-mod2-ammo.jpg
    By XdonRightHip

So I stopped by the LGS today and they had it for sale and on the rental wall. All models were 9mm and the guy at the LGS didn't even know that 40mm was available.

I handled the one for sale first. I also asked to handle the XDS. I've heard it said by others and there is no doubt after handling both: If blindfolded, you could tell these two guns apart. The Mod2 felt more robust, which is surprising because with empty mags, the Mod2 is only 4 ounces heavier (the one I handled had the extended mag). Likewise, the extra 0.2 inches of width felt "meatier". I read a comment in this thread that in person, the Grip Zone badge was less-noticable. Well, I wouldn't call it subtle. But its nothing more than aesthetics. Not a deal breaker for me, but certainly not a selling point either. Everything else being equal, I'd leave it off, but it doesn't affect functionality in any way.

My XDM 4.5 9mm has extreme rubber grips applied. I really like the feel of them. Handling the Mod2 didn't have the same feel (obviously). The feel of the texture was meh. That is to say it was not bad or annoying, but it was not memorable or remarkable. I do think the "Grip Zone" badge is an attempt to draw attention to the fact that they have three different styles of "grip aggressiveness" and less an an indication of where you grip the gun. As I said, nothing memorable, but my hand also didn't slip and/or hurt, so I guess the grips did there jobs in all three spots. I *do* think that it would be fine out of the box, as opposed to putting on an aftermarket grip solution (unless you absolutely must cover up the GZ badge). The grips are much more subtle than the XDM grips. As mentioned, there is no adjustable backstrap on the Mod2, but it felt fine in my hand. My hands and not large or small, and I typically use the medium backstrap anyway.

The slide serrations are excellent. The cuts alone would be fine, but the groove at the back really give you something to hold on to as you rack the slide. Very nice improvement. I also like the contouring around the edges of the slide. It gives it a finished feel with no sharp edges to catch on clothing coming out of conceal.

Enough fondling... Let's shoot this thing!

The Mod2 on the rental wall had only the short mag. Typically, I don't like a short mag on a SC because my pinky feels out of place. Its something I've been working through, but I have to say, even tho my pinky came up under the mag, it didn't feel out of place at all. This may be to the small cut-a-way at the back of the trigger guard. It was just enough and made for a comfortable grip without me feeling like I had to bring my trigger finger down at all to rest in the trigger sweet spot.

At 15 feet, this thing was dead on balls accurate. I was really impressed at how easy it shot. That is not to say I didn't spry some rounds, but truthfully, they were consistently low left and I think those flyers were more the result of operator error than anything. When I really focused on a smooth trigger pull, bam, center of mass and right where I aimed. I was impressed for a 3" barrel. At 25', there was some more spread, but again, we are talking about a 3" barrel, and the same limitations of the operator (and his eyes). Really, I need more range time in general.

The FO front sight contrasted well with the rear sight and it was easy to acquire a sight picture with normal range lighting. Yes, I'd prefer night sights for low light situations if this is to be an EDC, but out of the box, the sights are very usable.

All rosey? No. The trigger was mushy. Lots of sponge slack until BANG. Not crisp at all. That may have been part of my low left flyers. I typically carry a 1911 or the XDM that has a PRP ultimate match trigger. This was far from the bang lever on either of those guns. If/when I purchase one, I will consider a trigger upgrade.

I did have a couple of failure to ejects. The first one occurred when I dropped the mag but forgot there was one in the chamber. Just more evidence of why you always point down range, boys and girls. The casing coming out of the chamber didn't fully eject. The last five shots, I manually loaded the chamber without a magazine. On one, I felt the empty casing fall down the magwell and out, and another got hung up much the same way as described above. The other three shots without a mag were fine, and the other 45 shots with a magazine were fine. FWIW, I loaded 5 or 10 rounds at a time, and I shot Federal range ammo.

The last thing I'll say is that I was surprised by the price. I was $20 *less* than the XDS. With the upgrades and increased capacity, that surprised me. $529 retail with the XDS being $549. I saw the Mod2 online already for $485. This is alot of gun for sub-$500.

Overall impression was positive. It didn't have a "like a glove" fit for me, but it was very comfortable to hold and shoot. The ergonomics, IMO, are a definite upgrade. Although some of the hype is just marketing, the improvements were well-thought out overall. It shoots very well, as do all Springfields (its why I own 3), but I shot better with this one quicker than any of my other Springfields. Yes, I have a bit more experience behind the trigger now, but some of the credit has to go do the design of the pistol. The recoil on a 9mm is not unmanageable, but this was very easy to shoot, IMO. The one downside to this pistol, IMO, is the trigger. Unfortunately, that is to be expected out of the XD line. It wasn't a bad trigger, but it could have been better. With all the improvements made to the ergonomics and design, I would have liked to see more thought put in to the trigger. The price was reasonable. Overall, I anticipate putting one of these in my gunsafe and with the capacity, it will likely see a fair amount of hip time too. Though its a subcompact, the 16+1 capacity is only 3 rounds less than my XDM4.5 in the same caliber. That's enough pop to possibly push the XDM back into the safe on a regular basis.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Nov 21, 2014 #2
    XDAdmin

XDAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 6
    Congrats @XDonRightHip on the great submission and winning the prize!

3. Nov 21, 2014 #3
    4Nines

4Nines XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 1
    Congrats on the win!

4. Nov 21, 2014 #4
    Spawnz

Spawnz XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +512 / 0
    Congrats!

5. Nov 22, 2014 #5
    XDonRightHip

XDonRightHip XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 1
    Woot!

Thanks!

6. Dec 1, 2014 #6
    XDonRightHip

XDonRightHip XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 1
    Thanks again, XD Talk. Package arrived today...

[​IMG]