AK slam fire question

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by MelloYello, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MelloYello

MelloYello XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys

I thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys think might be causing a slam fire with my AK.

I took my Romy G to the local range to sight her in. I loaded up the mag with 3 rounds each time 40 rounds total. On two occasions after I fired the first shot the second went off right away. I can only describe this as a slam fire. It seems that when I fired a round something happened when chambering the new round and caused the second one to go off without pulling the trigger. I was using Winchester White Box 7.62x39 (local range doesn’t allow wolf which is of course what I have plenty of).

Any thoughts?

This is only the second time I have shot the rifle. The first time I went through about 200 rounds of Wolf and nothing like this happened.

On a brighter note I got her all sighted in. When I get home I will post up some pics of where it was shooting before adjusting the sights and where it shoots after adjustment.

Thanks,
    Shaun

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. XDConvert9mm

XDConvert9mm XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0
    I wish I had an answer for you. All I have is a warning to get that fixed ASAP because it could cause you some serious legal trouble if you have no stamp for it. If mine had done that I would immediately put it away until this is resolved.

3. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    This is quite common with US made commercial ammunition.

The commercial American primers are a lot more sensitive than the commie types.

The inertia in the firing pin is enough to cause a slam fire in some cases.

4. Fish609

Fish609 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Check the pins that go through the receiver and hold your trigger group in. Make sure they are not moving back and forth. Check your sheppards (sp?) hook to make sure it is on the groves.

I had, I mean my buddy had that happen once and it caused it to shoot two shots in a row.

I would not suggest firing it like that on a public range.

5. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Take it apart and clean it really well, especially the bolt and firing pin channel.

6. MelloYello

MelloYello XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Believe me when I say it startled the hell out of me when it happened. But the strange thing is that it didnt happen every time. With 3 rounds each time I loaded it up I did this maybe 13 times and it only did this twice.

I will break it down and clean it real good when I get home. Ill also check the FCG to see if anything looks out of place.

Thanks for the suggestions.

7. MelloYello

MelloYello XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok so I broke it down to look at the FCG and I didnt see anything out of the ordinary though I am not sure if I could tell if anything was wrong.

A while back I added a side plate using button head screws and I can see the spring that hooks to the trigger just barley touches the head of the screw. It only touches after about a half inch after the hammer is released, pretty much at the end of the trigger pull.

One thing I did notice was that when manually cycling the action the firing pin would stay in the forward position. When I pull the trigger it is not hitting the back of the firing pin just the back of the bolt. Is there anything that keeps the firing pin in the right position?

I need to take down the bolt to thoroughly clean it. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to take the bolt down?

8. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    The firing pin is free floating and sticks out one end or the other.

If a cartridge is in the chamber, the firing pin sticks out the backside of the bolt.

If there is no cartridge in the chamber, the inertia of the firing pin flings it forward when you let the bolt carrier fly closed - this is most likely why you are getting your 'doubles' (as I explained above).

Century Arms recalled quite a few Galils, so they could add a spring to their firing pins. The Galils were having the same 'slam fire' troubles that you are reporting.

Using Wolf or Barnaul or other commie ammo will prevent this from occurring.
    Bolt Disassembly

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  9. AKsRule

AKsRule XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :|

Think about this - If something is touching your hammer spring on the firing
    cycle - then it's probably touching on the reload cycle.

10. Mad Pick

Mad Pick XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I've fired about 25 rounds of WWB through my new WASR, and I didn't have any issues -- for what it's worth. Granted, the problem may go away with Wolf ammo but that doesn't mean that the problem is solved; the gun SHOULD work fine with any factory ammo.

Slightly off-topic -- my range doesn't allow Wolf (or similar) because of the steel cases that screw up the recycling program. I bought a rigid brass catcher (see link below), and I think I'm good to go with the cheap steel ammo now since it won't be left on the floor. It's kind of a PITA to use, but 20 cents/round (steel-cased ammo) beats 75 cents/round (WWB at Wal-Mart) any day.

E&L Manufacturing e.Store - Brass Catchers

11. IamCPTSpalding

IamCPTSpalding XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    stupid question, but I thought the firing pin had a pin for retention, and a spring to hold the pin back. I have seen some protrude a hair, but never enough to even THINK that it was missing or would cause a slam fire.

Anyway, just asking.

12. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Only some of the more expensive Chinese and Bulgarian models do. The spring loaded firing pin is specifically a consumer add-on.

13. MelloYello

MelloYello XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I cleaned it all up and checked over the FCG real close and everything seems to be in working order. I am not getting the "hammer follow" issue. The disconnector is retaining the hammer when the trigger is fully depressed. And the trigger hook is is grabbing the front of the hammer.

I also took the bolt down and cleaned it up real nice.

I took it to the range over the weekend and put about 90 rounds of wolf down range and not a single issue. Nothing that resembled what happend when using the Winchseter ammo. I did check one of the rounds that were chambered to see if there were any marks on the primer and there was but it didnt go off.

14. Tard

Tard XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You have marks on the primers, if this is normal for AKs I wouldn't know but it doesn't seem safe to me.

Minor Hijack: It's more and more common for ranges to disallow Wolf ammo, keep that in mind when buying ammo. We used to get a lot of PISSED OFF shooters come in and be told they couldn't shoot.

The argument was the shell is steel, not the bullet, so I'd pull a bullet and show them it was magnetic too, steel core.

They still went away pissed.
    Some snuck the ammo in and shot it anyway, damaging the (indoor) back wall. Thanks, guys.

15. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    As I keep saying, this is normal for AKs. They are designed to use hard military primers, such as the ones found in Wolf, Barnaul, and other former Iron Curtain production.

To repeat, this is a known issue with US made commercial ammunition, which uses softer primers than the former commies use in their ammo.