Springfield XD Forum banner

AK Alternative the VZ58

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Texas40 
#1 ·
Want something that kind of looks like an AK but is completely different? I've owned several AKs over the decades ever since my vacation in Viet Nam in 1968. While there I first saw the Czech VZ58 which I thought was a very cool rifle. Over the ensuing years I forgot about the VZ until I stubbled over a new D-Tecknic produced one in the back of Simpson LTD. As soon as I saw it I knew what it was and bought it immediately. These were imported by CZ for awhile but are now being brought in by Czechpoint USA. Popular in Canada for years there are now a lot of accessories available for these truly unique rifles. Century Arms imported a bunch of kits they assembled on to US made receivers and sold them for bargain basement prices, and you still see them on auction sites.
IMO this is actually a better (D-Teknics version)rifle the the AK. They are beautifully made with forged receivers, short stroke pistons, chrome lined barrels and are super high quality compared to most AKs. The bolts even lock open after the last shot plus they are striker fired. I'm really happy to have found one 40 some years after first seeing one.
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad that you found one and were able to pick it up.

I know that during war time you can see virtually any weapon that has ever been made or thought of, but I didn't know that Czechoslovakia supplied many weapons to them.

#3 ·
The SKS should have evolved into something like Vz and given the AK a run for it's money. It is funny that the Vz is lighter then a stamped AK...and it has a milled receiver. And they are usually more accurate for not having such a huge BCG slamming back and forth like the AK does. Self returning pistons/short stroke gas systems are a pleasure to shoot.

#4 ·
I looked at one of these not too long ago...if they took standard AK Mags I woulda been on that like Congress on a Taxpayer!

looks like a beauty!

#9 ·
Call me contrary but im looking at ar15 style 7.62x39 rifles because i want the cartridge in direct impingement platform.
Despite contemporary gun design trends to make ar's gas piston for "reliability", i think that takes progress back to the 40's.
Eugene stoners version of direct impingement (which really isnt) is the smoothest way to date to run recoil on a semiauto rifle with least disruption by muzzle rise. Quicker back on target between.
Yes the one you are discussing here is a cool relic, but thats what it is.

#14 ·
The AK AR don't do it for me at all. Mags are a vital component of a semi, and those mags and bolts are heavily compromised. The AK AR I got was a 300blk.
Not true.
Windham redesigned the bcg and the mags to work properly in the platform. Unlike the others who modified the 556/223 bcg and mags.

Windham Weaponry SRC 7.62x39 Carbine Review - AR15.COM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Not true.
Windham redesigned the bcg and the mags to work properly in the platform. Unlike the others who modified the 556/223 bcg and mags.

Windham Weaponry SRC 7.62x39 Carbine Review - AR15.COM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no doubt that a better version could be made and has been made, but something with a properly sized bolt and uses mags that actually were designed around the cartridge is very pricey and has lost much of the commonality with the AR platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.