Airsoft for Kids

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Ajcrash, May 29, 2010.

1. Ajcrash

Ajcrash XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm clueless about airsoft, but would like to get one for my 5 year old daughter as a starting point to begin easing her into firearms and firearms safety.

She knows I have guns, and since she was brought home from the hospital I have always had a pellet gun near the back door, for taking care of the pigeons. She knows not to touch it unless myself or her mother are around.

Anyways, my thinking is along these lines: get her an airsoft to begin getting her used to shooting and being safe. Then move her up to a BB gun when she has shown the proper respect and knowledge with the airsoft, after the BB gun move her into a Cricket .22 or something along those lines.

I'd like to start her out on this fairly soon as we will have our annual family camping trip in the next couple months, and figured she would have fun with the airsoft. She has begun showing interest in shooting, and has even built a contraption in the back yard that she claims is her zombie gun, which is cute.

Anyone have pointers on an airsoft that would be appropriate in size/power for a youngster? Am possibly I trying to start her out too early?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys may have.

2. The Expert

The Expert XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Might I suggest skipping the Airsoft thing completely?

I was at the park yesterday with my wife and 3 kids (5, 4, 2 years) and a small group of 12ish - 14ish boys were having their own mini-battle there with these things.

Airsoft guns are built for these types of battles. I think that goes against everything I believe about gun safety. Guns are not to be pointed at people unless you plan to shoot and kill that person. They are not toys and they are not for games.

The one exception that I make is water guns which are obviously just portable hoses. A supersoaker doesn't look anything like a real gun.

I know it seems like a hard-@$$ thing to do, but there are zero toy guns in my house. I open carry around my home, at stores, everywhere except church. My kids know that guns are dangerous and they know what they are for. There is no confusion being sowed in my house.

If you want to go with firearms training you can step right into an air gun or a .22. They do both for kids as young as 4 at my local shooting club. Air guns in the winter, .22 in the summer.

There's a big chance you'll go your own way on this, so if you choose to get an airsoft gun, go with an airsoft sniper rifle because they are usually single-shot, have a descent quality scope, and can be used to teach the major fundamentals. Trigger control, breath control, shooting positions, bone support, muscle relaxation. All the basics that everyone should know shooting a rifle before they start shooting handguns.

3. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Ok so are you not going to allow them to play video games that involve using fierarms for killing ever? As they get older of course.

There are going to be some here who will argue the exact opposite of you. Airsoft guns can be a good training tool and teach fundementals of gun safety. You don't have to have airsoft wars. They can be used for target practice and are safer than using BB or pellet guns.

4. Vandal

Vandal XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Airsoft is a fantastic training tool for kids and adults alike. It also makes a terrific hobby with great exercise benefits. Just wear eye protection incase the BBs come back to visit. I play as part of Airsoft Club here in Spokane and in addition to our monthly battles we also have an OpFor team used by local police and the collegiate ROTC units for training.

Are you looking for a rifle or pistol style airsoft gun for her?

Expert, you are being too much of a hard-a$$. I will assume that you will never let your kids play paintball or firearm based video games either? It falls on you, the parent, to help them differentiate between real firearms and how they are to be treated and handled and proper use of airsoft weapons as training tools and the toys that they are.

5. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^^^^ Agreed, I play airsoft wars with my son and step son.

6. insatiable ONE

insatiable ONE XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    well just my opinion as well.

I would skip the airsoft & the BB-gun & go to teaching with the above mentioned 22 lr.

The difference being we are talking about training a 5- year old proper gun etiquette, safety practices.
    Where they should always be in your supervision, at this point.
    A good single shot accomplishes knowing the chamber is clear & no ND's. I would even go as far as using a lever action, to having a hammer to glance at, at will.

I agree somewhat with the expert, a child should be taught that all firearms are potentially dangerous.
    Later on if they can prove safely demonstrating handling skills let her have a BB-gun. or when she gets older, have an airsoft for whatever.

IMHO a youngster with a BB-gun is more likely to cause some sort of serious injury to someone/something , than a well trained youth with a single shot 22lr.

discipline first, recreation later.

good luck

7. Ajcrash

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Good points on all counts.

I'm considering a Walther p22 airsoft for her. Mainly because of her size, she is a very small girl. Heck, even my 2 1/2 year old daughter is nearly as big as my 5 yo. So I was thinking of the smallest possible airsoft to suit her build.

In my opinion an airsoft would be the safest possible way to teach the fundamentals, safety, and gun etiquette. It would not be used for (by her anyways) airsoft battles.

I would instill in her that the airsoft, BB gun, and eventually a .22 should all be treated pretty much the same; and I'm sure I could get across to her the advancing levels of potential danger with each step up. She would not be allowed to use any of them without myself or my wife being present; and would be stored in my safe along with all other guns (excluding the pellet rifle mentioned).

8. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My son is 4 and he shoots with an Airsoft gun. I started when he was three, by using the Eddie Eagle video. After watching it so many times I can't stand it (he loves and has watched it about 50 times), he's got the EE rules memorized. I then taught him the household rule - guns are not toys and then added the basics - don't point a gun at anyone and never put your finger on the trigger (I'll work on the other two rules when he has better critical thinking skills).

Then I brought out the Airsoft gun and one of my pistols. I explained that HIS gun has an orange tip and my guns don't. Then I let him shoot the Airsoft. He loves it and has to repeat all the rules before we shoot every time. He also knows that his guns shoot BBs and my guns shoot bullets and knows the difference.

As for the neighbor kids using Airsoft for BB wars, that's going to happen eventually no matter what you do. Around here anyway, I'm not seeing any of the kids using the realistic looking Airsoft guns - most have the clear plastic versions you buy at Walmart. By the time he's old enough to join them, he'll have the basics down and will be able to use critical thinking to discern the difference. We did it with our Red Ryders when I was a kid. My view is that you lay the groundwork and work on teaching critical thinking skills. When he develops, he'll be able to make the right decisions about things.

9. cchevyboy1986

cchevyboy1986 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was around 13 when I got my own first gun(mossberg 20g) and then all my friends got into paintball. I asked if I could get one and the answer I got was, if you get a paintball gun we will take away your shot gun. This was from my mom/step dad, well I then asked my real dad and he took me to go get a paintball gun and I just kept it at his house.

I was plenty old enough to know the difference between paintball and real gun.

I dont have kids, but Personally I think you should wait until you can get her a 22 as mentioned above. Wait until shes old enough to get her into airsoft when she can know the difference. I use to have a airsoft gun and it is a great tool, but I think 5 is too young.

10. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Air soft is fine. Since it will make holes in paper target, usually looks and feels like a 'real' gun - just treat exactly the same. Only comes out with supervision and at designated places set aside as range areas. I was started with a single shot 22cal Crosman CO2 pistol at around 5 yrs old. There were no airsoft or much else other than a pump daisy BB around back then. Had about a 15 ft 'range' that could be setup in the basement. A low bench, some directed lights and a cardboard box filled with old quilts. Part of the deal was I had to pick out all the re-usable lead balls from the target box. Good for anytime even rainy day shooting. Less distractions than outside shooting and never any 'helpful' neighbor input to contend with. Considering a 5yr old's attention span, probably 15-20 minutes at any one time is plenty.
    I would look for a model that can be easily loaded as a single shot. Either rifle or pistol. PyramidAir.com is running a Memorial sale now. Or at least check the reviews of the models. Even if often written by kids, you can pick out a good general impression of the quality/accuracy of the model. Frustration is a cheap gun that is inconsistent on placement. You can get some 'fun' targets also. Keep with a large bullseye type until you see groups where a smaller target is needed.
    I don't remember being specifically prohibited but I don't remember ever talking to any of the other kids about this target practice shooting until I was older and had a 22 and a shotgun.

11. Ajcrash

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Rusty, where did you pick up the Eddie Eagle video? The only place I can find it is on youtube. The NRA store has the latest one for sale, but I think I'd like my girls to watch all of them and it would be easier if I could buy them, or find a place to download and burn to a disk or thumb stick so they can watch it on the TV.

I'm thinking starting them off with airsoft will be akin to the way most of us learned the principles of gun safety; with a BB gun. Only a tad bit safer.

12. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Don't make the Rusty mistake! There is only one video. My son saw the Youtube version and loved it, so I thought the same thing you're thinking.

Mistake.

The NRA video is exactly the same thing you see on Youtube. There aren't any other episodes or anything else on the DVD. For what they charge, I felt ripped off. You can download stuff off of Youtube. My wife downloads videos for my son onto her Ipod all the time.

With the Airsoft, I figure to have my son practice for about two more years (then I'll start working on his younger brother who is 9 months now), then I'll take him to the range with the .22 pistol and rifle. IMO, the child has to be able to comprehend the rules and what they mean AND follow directions immediately. At 4, my son is still in the "why?" stage or just tries to ignore me. I use that as a tool because he REALLY wants to go to the range, so I remind him that he can't go until he can follow directions.

13. Ajcrash

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Good to know on the videos, thanks for the heads up. I hear ya on the listening deal, it happens all the time here. Not that she doesn't know what she should do; she just does what she wants to. Testing how far she can push it and all. She's a fearless little girl so it all ought to be fun. :D

14. The Expert

The Expert XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

This is what happens when kids get airsoft guns. :confused:

15. 109ace

109ace XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That is what happens when unsupervised, wanna be thugs get airsoft guns. If a kid is taught proper gun safety, airsoft can be a fun thing to do.