air compressor question

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by rockerZ71, Oct 12, 2010.

1. rockerZ71

rockerZ71 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    I don't know jack about air compressors or air tools but I would like to get one to make taking the wheels off/on my truck easier, and they are plain bad ass. Is this one up to the job of running all the air tools I'd likely ever want for working on my truck and my house? Is $70 a decent price? I want something cheap but I can wait for the right deal to pop up on craigslist. I just realized I need to change out a front wheel bearing this weekend on my truck so it would be cool to be able to take the wheels off and put em back on fast.

Craftsman 7 ½ Gal. Air Compressor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rockerZ71

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Or maybe this one if that one isn't good?

3 HP, 10 Gallon, 115 PSI Air Compressor

[​IMG]

3. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    The biggest thing to look for is the s.c.f.m and the tools you want to run. Some tools require more than others. The second biggest thing to look for is the tank size. If it's a smaller tank it will almost constantly be running.

The Central Pneumatic is from Harbor Freight. I would probably avoid that as it might be more trouble than it's worth. I was recently looking at getting an air tool setup, but a decent Craftsman compressor new was going to run me $300.

4. CMfromIL

CMfromIL XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, if you already have the craftsman, why not rent an air gun and see if it works to your liking?

Sometimes Lowes/Home Depot rent tools, and if they dont try a rental place. Give it a whirl.

Now, if you are looking for NASCAR speeds though...your compressor isn't going to cut it.;)

Edit:

I re-read your post. Looks like you don't own the craftsman. In that case, I'd say for the weekend rent a setup from a rental place and see if that fits your liking. You can either upgrade/downgrade based on your experience.

5. destinydog

destinydog XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i ahd one very similar to the craftsman one you posted, i used it for eveything, except painting. I built my entire show truck using it. Like the other guy said i would try various tools with it and see what it will push.

6. rexracer

rexracer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    3.3 cfm @ 90psi is a little low I think. I have a Crafsman and it's around 4.8 or 5 cfm @ 90 psi and it does an OK job. You'll also need to invest in a good air gun. That will have more to do with how fast your lugs come off than the compressor. If the compressor can't keep up, you'll end up waiting for it to fill the tank to get pressure for another shot with your gun. 4.5-5cfm @90psi works pretty good for impact guns and such, but if using somthing that has a lot of flow, like a die grinder or cutoff tool, you'll find you need to stop and let pressure build every few minutes. That's when a bigger tank really pays off.

7. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 19
    I have this compressor, and it works for most stuff. It's about the best cheapie small compressor I've seen. If you use an impact with it, or any real air tool, be prepared to wait for it to complete it's fill cycle. With mine, I get about 2 lugnuts per fill cycle. It's pretty fast though, and it won't blow a 15a breaker like some small compressors! If you're smart, you'll wait for an old belt drive compressor to come up on craig's list. Much quieter, more air, and bigger tank.

JobSmart Air Compressor, 4 gal. - 3901726 | Tractor Supply Company

8. taylor6400

taylor6400 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yeah, if you really want to be able to run an impact you need to step up in tank size...I bought a TSC kit that had compressor, tank, and several air tools. Yeah, the compressor hardly runs the impact. It will but its not great. There is just no substitute for a large tank on hi-flow tools.

9. rockerZ71

Ratings:
    +41 / 0

What size tank is large enough that I should be able to rotate my tires without getting too frustrated with waiting for it? I'm fine with waiting but if it ends up taking an hour its not worth it.

10. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if it's just for tires and you're not going to use it much, Harbor Freight has an electric impact drill that works pretty good......usually on sale around $40.

might get you thru till you find a really good deal on a bigger compressor.......cuz you'll always want a bigger one sooner or later.....

11. rockerZ71

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Dang the reviews on that thing are great. Maybe I'll take the $100 I would have put into the compressor (not considering the air tools I don't have) and buy this thing and a bigger torque wrench

12. rexracer

rexracer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, that does look like a deal.
    FYI, my compressor has the 30 gallon tank, and will keep a gun running long enough to get all the lugs off of a wheel, and will fill the tank when moving from wheel to wheel...no waiting.

13. rockerZ71

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
  14. CMfromIL

CMfromIL XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Too many mechanical issues to consider to say if that particular unit is a 'good deal'. You should ask them if they would let you try it to make sure its' running properly.

Then again...for $65 if it doesn't work you might be able to fix it up. Or write off the loss and try another unit.

15. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 19
    If I were looking, I'd probably go look at it for that price. Tap on the bottom of the tank with the handle of a screwdriver, and see if it sounds different than the side. If they didn't drain the water, it might be about to rust out. I'm guessing it's probably capable of at least as much air as the compressor I posted a link to. The cool thing about those old compressors is you can mix and match parts. Get a pile of them going, and build a frankencompressor. Take the best of a couple of them, and use the remaining parts to build another or 2, then sell them to your buddies. Look for one with a twin cylinder pump, and maybe a 1.5hp motor. That's about the biggest you'll get with 120v. Should be able to get 6SCFM @ 90 PSI.