Aftermarket barrels

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by jmb3675, Aug 18, 2011.

1. jmb3675

jmb3675 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone had any trouble with a drop-in barrel from Storm Lake or Bar-sto? I have been planning have a smith or Springfield do it for $300 or replacing it with a XDm, but paying half that to try it myself sounds attractive if its likely to work. I am happy with the barrel I have, But the wear on the lug looks like its going to chip soon like I have seen on other barrels. I bought the gun used so its not covered. Already looked into that.

2. Triplblack

Triplblack XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a ss drop-in from Bar Sto in my XDm 45. Have put 500+ rds through it with no issues. I was apprehensive at first,but when the barrel came and truly "dropped in" I knew I was good to go. Hope you have same luck if you decide to take the plunge.

3. Diocoles

Diocoles XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Been wondering the same.
    There's so many different after market ones...

Some just plain look bad.

Bar-Sto, hmm...

4. Bansheex

Bansheex XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a BarSto threaded barrel on my XDM 9mm open gun. Well over 5000 rounds with no issues.

5. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have both bar-sto and firedragon barrels in .357 sig and 400 corbon, all are quality, drop in fit and work fine.

don

6. Schoentown

Schoentown XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Storm Lake "drop in" for my XD9 Tactical. It "dropped" right in and functions perfectly.

7. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 1
  8. jmb3675

jmb3675 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies. I have heard there are a few different barrel lug designs. Will that be an issue buying a new barrel?

9. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Although shipping mistakes do occassionally happen, if you order the correct 'drop-in' barrel for your pistol, it will normally fit. There are always occasions where the specs of the pistol all stack one way and the barrel specs another, where fitting will be required. But the better mfgs seem reasonable on exchanges if you have not ground or filed on the barrel.
    Just remember to get a 'drop-in' fit (95% or better) and high functional reliability, that just means the fitment clearances are intentionally undersized (sloppy). If you are buying for maximum accuracy and spending $$ on a new barrel that does not have any better tolerances than the stock barrel, there is no net gain. Fitment for improved accuracy is going to require starting with an oversized truely 'match' barrel and carefully fitting it to the individual pistol with minimum tolerance clearances. This does have the accompanying effect of reduced reliability in other than ideal clean conditions and may also require limiting your ammo choices to just those that feed into a tighter chamber. Drop-in fit (same caliber) replacement barrels may be slightly tighter than stock and normally do not have functional problems. Some are more picky about ammo.
    Drop-in fit conversion barrels have the convenience of not needing fitting but are generally not much, or any, more accurate than the original barrel, and can have reduced reliability due to the new ammo size being less than the original breech. (40sw/357SIG conversions use same size cartridge base and no reduced reliability). But for range use, you get an added caliber at less expense than a complete new firearm. And in ultimate SHTF, you get added calibers for pickup ammo.

10. MarkDFW

MarkDFW XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My related question is: Is the fitted barrel significantly better than the drop in? I assume that fitted will be more accurate, but worth the money?

11. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I'm astonished and disappointed that Springfield won't honor the warranty on a used pistol!! Glock will fix your Glock free, forever, if you're the first or fiftieth owner!

Bar-Sto is a much better barrel than Storm Lake.

12. beretta40xdm

beretta40xdm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Storm Lake in357Sig for my XDM40 and it is my most accurate gun(even better than the factory barrel.I have heard many complaints about bar-sto and poor quality as of late(do a search both here just a month ago and on other forums)but I haven't personably had one(I didn't have the patience to wait 16-20weeks for my beretta barrel so I got a Fire Dragon,also 357Sig,which has a good fit).As far as drop-in to custom fit, I honestly don't think it would be worth it.Most good drop-in barrels will shoot extremely good so any further gain would be minimal to none.IMHO

13. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    That would depend more on your level of accuracy then the pistol.

Are you a master class shooter? If so then you may see a small increase but most of the accuracy is dependent on the shooter more then the gun.

don

14. MarkDFW

MarkDFW XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not master class, not even close. I'm beyond beginner though.

I have a XDm 4.5 9MM that does not group ver well and I believe the problem is the barrel. I can't do better than 4.5" at 25 yards rested. My XD Tactical 9MM, which came from the SA Custom Shop has a upgraded/fitted barrel and I can make 2.5" from the same rest. Both have good triggers, so I think it's the barrel.

15. Hoss

Hoss XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A properly fitted oversized barrel offers the most accuracy gain over a drop in or stock barrel but it would be tough to quantify the differences because of the range of potential clearances with stock or drop in's.

Regarding brands, unlike 20 or even 10 years ago there are a lot of quality aftermarket barrels available. The Storm Lake is the equal to the Bar Sto which is why it is used as the OEM barrel by several semi-custom and custom pistol manufacturers, and you don't have to wait 8 months to get it.