Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon'

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Krackels, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    I've had a few people ask me, "Hey... I know you know a bit about guns... I really want to get a nice home defense rifle before it get's banned... what do you recommend?"

I know there's the whole AK vs. AR debate, but I'm more interested if you tell people 'buy now' (even if it's at an inflated price and they'll have to wait possibly months), 'buy used', put on layaway, or 'wait until ...'

I'm curious, what advice do you give?

2. Baddog

Baddog XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Buy what you can.....NOW....

3. SgtWKPII

SgtWKPII XDTalk 20K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +150 / 0
    I tell them if they have the money buy now. You can still get decent prices at gun shows and from good dealers who haven't increased their prices. Layaway is always an option too.

4. scout06

scout06 XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    What Assault Rifles? If you want an assault rifle, get your classIII and go for it. All other rifles are hunting or target rifles, aren't they?

5. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 1
    I tell people to buy now because they might not be able to later.

If their money is tight I tell them to buy an AR15 lower reciever now, and wait to build it up.

Home defense rifle, if its inside the home 556 is better due to it WON"T go through walls as likely and hurt an innocent bystander, I'd say DO NOT GET A 1/7 twist, because inside the home I'd want to use 55 gr projectiles due to less penatrability through walls. I'd say get a 1/9 twist.

Now if they have a shotgun and the rifle is in case a squad of gangbangers are coming, 16" barrel 1/7 twist 77 grain bullets or an AK47. (16 mid length has significantly less jams that a 14.5 due to better pressure in the gas tube, and an m4gery is still using a 14.5 M4 length gas tube and you are the same size and get a better site radius, only downside is rails cost a little more due to more machining)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. HB of CJ

HB of CJ XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 12
    Huge subject matter here. Difficult to compress down. Have them sit down and think thru their actual needs. Go thru it all. They might find they don't actually need a required 2nd admendment military type rifle.

Maybe a home revolver is better. Maybe no gun at all, but a tightened up home. Thirty day of everything supply. Family education including history, duties, citizenship responsibilities, training, ethics. Blah blah.

Then if they still want something, perhaps take them to the range and let them shoot your stuff. Safety courses might work also. Get a feel of their actual requirements. Every citizen is required to own a good rifle.

But...are they really ready for one? Dunno. Way above my meager pay grade. So many questions first. This is a serious duty we all face..how to spin up the non-gun citizen? Some help/input here. Thanks. HB of CJ

7. Krackels

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    Point well taken.

It's not necessarily (in most cases) that they "need" an AR or AK or whatever, it's mostly that they want to get a fun gun before they get banned with the hopes that it'll be grandfathered like during the Clinton AWB.

8. community

community XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    I have nothing to say. nobody ever asked me this question in 60 years.

9. Krackels

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    You'll have to excuse me for using their terminology. When I say "assault rifle" I'm talking about firearms that will in all likelyhood contain certain features which would make them illegal to sell or buy if an AWB was passed.

Was this how it worked with the clinton ban? I can't remember how the AWB defined 'manufacturing' (which would include slapping an upper on a lower receiver).

10. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    i recomend getting what they can now, and getting a reciever of the other. That way they know they will have one of each, if they are concerned they didnt "get the right one for them"

A overpriced WASR ak at $700 is ahrd pill to swallow since i could get them for $275 in sept at dunhams, but it will look like a deal if they get banned outright. Its bird in hand worth two in the bush scenario.

Get something .... NOW

Accept its a bit pricer than one would like, but thats the name of the game, i wish i could go back in time and buy real estate and stocks also, hundred grand in a startup, bang 2 years latter i am worth $75 million. Its the same thing. Just gotta man up and get something.

Dont forget to include the DSA fals and enterprise arms FALs out there, they are in stock and ready to go, and DPMS ar10s seem to be in stock also. $1099 DSA stg58 is allot better value than a $750 WASR, in my opinion.

The important thing is for them to recognize they can get left behind with nothing, and they have to rationalize the idea is $300 "over paying" worth it to get in the game. In the grand scheme of things, $300 is nothing, if we are talking about a tool that lasts a lifetime, and can save your life.

Thats a life insurance premium you can get back someday, it doesnt loose value or get used up, its like life insurance in your closet, or under your bed.

Everyone should have one half decent battle rifle. Countries like switzerland and Israel are good examples.

If the time comes you do need it, and don't have it, you could never forgive yourself, well atleast i know i couldnt.

No one killing me, my family, my cat, or taking my families stuff with out me being a major pain in their ass.

11. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    yep, the ATF considers the reciever "the gun".

An ak47 reciver, or ar15 lower though non functioning has to be delivered to a FFL. You can then have the complete rest of the parts needed to make a functioning ak or ar15 delivered righ to your door by UPS or fedex and be completely legal.

Still if they have $700 a gun in hand is worth it, never know when riots will come, martial law, UN troops, the obama youth brown coats etc.

A blank reciever is a $65-$200 paper weight until it is a finished gun.

12. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    also dont forget to recomend the saiga line of sporter AK's

they are in stock for as low as $349

Russian Saiga AK 47 Rifle IZ 132

they were $289 pre obama, so that not a huge price increase, these are real legit, brand spanking new made in russia AK 47s with a few minor details that make them legal imports.

They make high capcity mags in the 30 rd range for $30-40.

Tell folks to get a saiga AK and a 30 round surefire mag and call it a day.

Then if they become a hobbyist, they can convert the saiga AK to take regular AK mags, and they will have a top quality piece at bargain price.

13. XD Larry

XD Larry XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am experiencing this very thing right now. I have a $300 paper weight. I could find a complete gun faster than I can find the parts. But hey I sure have a fancy paper weight.:(

14. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    well as long as you have the money for the rest and the inclination to build it, ni big deal, nothing to be sad about. Do you have other rifles. I mean even if you just have an old bolt action, no one is gonna want to ramsack your house in a riot with you pickin' off dudes with your 30-06. No thanks, i think i will ramsack on another street thank you. *wink*

I just fear someone who isnt exactly a gun enthusiast might think the reciever is good enough for now, but with out one real functioning weapon, a reciever aint all that. Especially on an AK. Takes some degree of skill, and interest to build it.

Now an AR complete lower, Krackles could come over, and put his buddies/coworker/cousin/neighbor etc upper and lower together in a few seconds, ba da bing bad do boom they are good to go. Make a trip to the range and show him some safety meaures how to clean, etc and he is about as safe and prepared as a regular guy can be with out going full gun nut.

15. LKB3rd

LKB3rd XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'd recommend an SKS or an AK. And to get one now if they see anything resembling a fair deal.