ADVICE!!..WASR 10/63 with NO matching serial numbers

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by thenamesjudy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. thenamesjudy

thenamesjudy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I bought a Century Arms WASR 10/63 with the Romanian stamp on it (triangle with arrow in it) from Dunham's sporting goods a few weeks ago and being new and ignorant to owning an AK-47, I didn't think to check for matching serial numbers. I took it out shooting this past weekend and shot 100 rounds through it with absolutely no problems.

Well my post-range cleaning session made me notice that not one of the rifle's internal parts are stamped with matching serial numbers. The only ones that match are the one on the front trunnion and the gas tube. The bolt carrier, bolt, and recoil spring thing each have different serials numbers.

The shell casing that I found didn't have any unusal damage on it (shearing, dents, etc.), if that is any indication of a problem.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding how big of a problem this could be, whether it's dangerous to shoot, legal issues, whether I should bring it up with the store, etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    if you shot 100 rounds with no issues I don't see a problem other than you don't have bragging rights as having a number matching AK.

3. BIMMERKID21

BIMMERKID21 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats fine, as long as it works. They are mostly assembled from parts kits. If you had a matching numbers AK, it would most likely be worth booca bucks (big bucks) $$$$

4. norbs

norbs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guns with matching S/Ns in this case the WASR 10 do not cost anymore then a gun with all different S/Ns. The 2 I own have all matching S/ns paid 450 for 1 and 500 for the other. Its just something you need to look for when buying one.

That being said if your gun shoots with no issue, then you have no issue. The Ak has a violent system that can damage shells upon extraction. If your shooting fine, let it be.

5. thenamesjudy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys for the reassurance. After inspecting it again, the bolt carrier was restamped on another area of it with the last four digits of the s/n that is on the trunnion. The bolt, however, is still stamped something different; couldn't find any other s/n's on it. I'm assuming that means it's still head spaced correctly for my particular gun so it can be sold, even though they didn't stamp it with a matching number, like they did with the bolt carrier.

The only other thing not stamped with a matching number is the dust cover but I dont see why that would matter.

I just got worried that my $300 investment was in a crap mutt-gun.

Thanks again!

6. cce1302

cce1302 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I haven't even looked at the serial numbers of my WASR. It's a $300 crap mutt-gun. Why would it matter whether the serial numbers match?

(I don't know what crap mutt-gun means, but I love it and will from now on call my WASR "Crap mutt-gun.")

7. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    If the headspacing was off, you would've noticed a lot of stuff not right in the 100 rounds you fired. Weird sparks as the bolt was beginning to open, smoke, assorted failures, maybe even a big kaboom if it was bad enough.

Don't sweat it.

Serial numbers don't mean nothing to anyone but the Government (BATF). ;)

The only serial number that matters is the one on the receiver.

8. thenamesjudy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol im glad you like it. I meant to put crappy, but the submit button was already pressed. I thought the word "mutt" was appropriate in this case, since my gun was made up of parts from different guns, like a multi-bred dog.

You remember the famous "mix between a bulldog and a shitzu"..

9. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I love my mutt.

10. thenamesjudy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks alot, that's refreshing to hear. I don't remember any unusual things happening while I was firing it, so it's good to know that isn't an issue.

As far as worrying about the purist thing, I could care less as long as it functions like it should. For $300, I couldn't be happier.

11. Elbows

Elbows XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it shoots, and functions - it doesn't matter one bit whether or not you have numbers matching. If that's a huge deal for you...perhaps the AK is not the best platform to get involved with. :D

12. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Yeah, like the others have said. It's no big deal. If it were a pre-ban Norinco or soviet or something I'd be concerned, but with it being a Romy I'm not sure it would raise the value much.

The main thing is that it shoots well.

13. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    The only thing is that it shoots well, serial numbers be damned! Many combloc weapons only have serials on the front trunnion, top cover, and usually the bolt carrier-sometimes not even then. I have a Polytech that only has a serial number on the trunnion, and a US serial number on the receiver. No other numbers anywhere.

14. norbs

norbs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    300 bucks... damn I love AKs.

I shoot more $$ then that in a month. That 300 bucks you invested will prob last you until the zombies come and go, and thats why I love AKs more then any gun in the world.

HEAD SHOT HEAD SHOT HEAD SHOT SON!

15. Elbows

Elbows XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Heck, both of my go-to AKs are up in the $1700 range...they're not all that cheap. :D