Advantage or Disadvantage of ported barrels?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by sonyman74, Jun 16, 2007.

1. sonyman74

sonyman74 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm thinking of getting the XD-9 V-10 and was wondering if it is worth getting or does it just look cool.

2. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another guy here raised the concern about using a V-10 for self defense. If you think about it, the concern is warranted. Imagine a BG getting close enough to you that you have to shoot from retention-- you'll be in a world of hurt with those heated gasses flying straight up at your face or burning holes in your clothes.

However, if you'll be using your ported pistol for competition only and have a separate self-defense pistol, you'd be wise to get the ported version. It reduces recoil by a noticeable amount. Slap a heavy guide rod in it, get yourself a trigger job and you'll have (almost) a full blown race gun.

In the end, it depends what you want to do with the pistol. It seems that a non-ported XD would be more versatile (ie you can use it for SD and competition) whereas the ported XD would be better suited and less dangerous to yourself as a competition only pistol.

Just my $.02.

joe

PS--I only own the non-ported version so I'm mentioning the drawbacks as second hand information.

3. Verk

Verk XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The caliber not withstanding, ported barrels are for competition only. With a handgun carried for self defense, muzzle flash blindness is a serious issue if you discharge a weapon in low light or no light conditions to begin with, why make the problem even worse with a ported barrel.

4. eric_t12

eric_t12 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    my 9mm V10 was EFFING LOUD. that was my only concern with it.

unbelievably loud.

5. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    I had a 9mm XD V10 and loved it. I would like to get another. I traded mine in for a new XD45acp when my V10 broke, on the strap right behind the front sight. Hopefully S.A. has since fixed the problem.

As far as getting advice from others about if you should get one, get advice from those who own or have owned one. Advice about buying a gun from somebody who knows somebody who read a article about somebody who tested one for a week is, well weak.

Go straight to the horse's mouth.

Loudness, yeah it's louder then my XD45acp.

Brightness from the ports, well it scared my wife during her only time shooting a gun. But, I never had a problem shooting it in bright or dim shooting ranges. never bothered my eyes because I was looking at what I was shooting, not at the front of the gun.

Burnability, well, I never burned my clothes or skin when shooting it tucked up into the body or held out in the weaver stance. To each his own.

edited for spellaling :)

6. GunDoc

GunDoc XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it's at all possable. Try before you buy. Find an indoor range that has one in the rental case, or ask around to all your shooting buds, if they know anyone that has one and head to the range and do a side by side.

It really is a subjuctive and personal thing.

Doc.

7. DNM

DNM XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best advice. As tec said, getting info from people who own, carry, shoot one is better but what they may like, you may hate. You may know some things to expect but not realize how "bad" they were until you experience first hand. Maybe it's because I'm a cheapass... but I'm not going to spend $400+ on a firearm and not shoot it first.

8. pinpointshot

pinpointshot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    out of a ported barrel you cant shoot tracers:D,shotshells,frangible ammo i dont think and there are lots of different kinds you shouldnt use in them so i wouldnt use it for self defense unless you just load it with HP or FMJ but the non ported are more versatile.

9. KeithM

KeithM XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've looked at a couple recently and seen no indication that they've changed the design of the slide around the ports, so the weakness is probably still there and there is a good chance it'll break. So for that reason alone I recommend not getting a V-10 in 9mm.

However if you do buy one and it breaks, when you send it back to SA you get a complete kit in exchange. By doing that twice I ended up with four extra magazines. So it isn't all bad.

10. dsglenn

dsglenn XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From looking at the inside of a XD slide the corners are the stiffest part not the web on top so it is kinda funny that the V10's have the corners of the slide removed..... If I was to port my own I would mill out the web on top of the slide that is thin and week and then port the barrel to release gases through the top.

I'd also like to see some hard evidence of a ported XD shooting at night or with paper over the barrel and such to test the burn theory.

11. jnclement

jnclement XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Looks cool. Breaks a lot.

12. Whirlwind06

Whirlwind06 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, lots of fire shoots out of the ports.
    Really noticed it with WWB.
    I'm considering getting a after market barrel for it, for carry.

13. KeithM

KeithM XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The strangest part is that not only do they cut the holes where they do, but they also thin out the section of metal in between the ports. That's why it breaks where it does. On mine it was breaking right at the point that they started removing metal.

14. PTCgunsmith

PTCgunsmith XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ports are good but compmesators are really good

15. bountyhunter

bountyhunter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ported barrels in general are worthless, and for 9mm they are even humorous.

The theory is they reduce muzzle rise by the upward venting of gas, but the effect is negligible. In a round as wimpy as 9mm, there is no real effect.

And yes, I own three of them in various guns.....SIG226, BER92, Browning HP, and none shoot any different than the regular barrel.

They do look cool....