Adam Arms retro-fit gas piston conversion on a Colt LE6940?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by XDMulisha, Mar 18, 2010.

1. XDMulisha

XDMulisha XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi all, I am currently drooling over the Adam Arms retro-fit piston conversion kit for my Colt LE6940 5.56 DI Monolithic. I am wondering if it will fit on my AR since it is a monolithic upper. Does it even matter? The handguard is carbine length and the barrel is 16.1" I am tired of cleaning the rifle for 2 hrs (I am OCD when it comes to the cleanliness of my firearms), every time i shoot it. This kit would increase the life of my AR, anyone know anything about the conversion kit? Thanks everyone.

2. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like piston systems and I like the DI system.

Just my opinion, but I'd not even consider putting the piston system on the Colt -I'm not sure it will go on the 6940 - the 6940 was not made to make many changes to due to the type of upper receiver. The 6920 is easier to play with, but I'd not add a piston to any Colt unless it would be used as a sbr or with a sound suppressor.

Lots of folks like the piston conversions, I just don't see enough to gain in adding one to a good AR and there are some downsides like carrier tilt.

If you do decide to add a piston system, I'm pretty sure you'll need a different upper than the 6940 and at that point you'd probably be happier with a new lower to have another firearm as opposed to a second upper for that lower. If you are going to add a piston and want to get rid of the Colt you should not have any trouble as they have a great resale value.

I really like some of the new piston carbines that are out - I have one. If you want a piston you might consider another carbine that allows some things that are different than the AR - like a folding stock to make it easy to pack/stow and possibly a heavier ejector.

The last thing I'll say is that you ought to look into your cleaning methods - I'm very picky and I usually spend between 15 - 40 minutes for a thorough cleaning of an AR.

I've previewed my post and I just want to add that this is meant to be a helpful post and not to down your decision about the piston system. Lately this piston vs DI thing gets folks a little crazy.

Good luck in your decision

3. XDMulisha

XDMulisha XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    theres no way i could sell my Colt. I just think that this cheap little kit could increase the life of my rifle and make cleaning easier. But I don't mind it. I also certainly dont want carrier tilt, Id rather clean more than deal with wear and tear. thanks for the advice, maybe one day i can afford both piston and DI, i like them both

4. Uriel999

Uriel999 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    man check out those ruger ar15s...I held one last summer in the fun store and man, if would have had an extra 1500 bucks laying around then it would have gone home that day. I was very impressed and that is saying something considering how I still feel I trust the original DI system.