Accurate 2230 Recipes

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by hawksp, Feb 2, 2009.

1. hawksp

hawksp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New reloader and I'm starting with .223 ammo for my Superior Arms 1:9 twist AR15. I purchased a One Book/One Caliber reloading pamphlet from Gander Mountain. I found some recipes I thought I'd try and then commenced to shop the rest of the store for the components I still needed. I had already been saving up a lot of spent brass from our club range here at Bragg.

Anywho, the best powder that Gander Mountain seemed to have for my use was the Accurate 2230. The jug claimed it was perfect for AR15 and other .223 and 5.56 semis. Perfect for me but I'm not seeing a lot of info or a lot of recipes for the 2230.

I've got my first lot I've reloaded of Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing setting on 24 grains of the 2230 (from my crimping question) that I'm ready to try. But I wanted to compare them to Hornady 55 grain V-Max. Am I being to simple minded to think the recipe would work with the different brand 55 grain bullet considering they're the same weight and type of round. (both jacketed with plastic cores) Or is there really a big different in the manufacturing that should lead me to be more caution with substitutes. And if there are better books on recipes out there, I'd be happy to hear about them.

(I'm not pulling the trigger on any of my stuff till I get a little guidance)

And thanks in advance.

2. highscore

highscore XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Others may argue but I wouldn't worry about loading the same powder charge with the new bullets. My old Accurate Fourth Edition manual lists 55 grain SP and FMJ's as having a charge weight of 23.0 to 25.5 grains. May not be accurate (no pun intended) but it should be safe anyway.

3. hawksp

hawksp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Highscore. I'll give it a shot (no pun intended). I suppose I'll just try a smaller lot of 10 or 15.

4. xdmikey

xdmikey XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought a buttload of 2230 when Midway had it on sale for $10/lb. I loaded up some at 23.7 gr in a 1.74" case. pretty accurate considering it was really cold & windy and I didn't have a target(just grouped on some elses white space.
    it doesn't matter if you're not on the bullseye as long as you're group is tight.
    I like the powder-it measures like water in my LNL w/the standard meter insert.

5. highscore

highscore XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys should pick up and try some Accurate 2460 one of these days. It's a ball powder and I have shot it out to 600 yards with great success. Meters like a dream.

6. hawksp

hawksp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see more load recipes with the 2460. I'll see if Gander Mountain or the Gun Show here in Fayetteville this weekend has it.

I loaded the Hornady 55 gr V-max's on the 24 gr 2230. 25 rounds. I'll see how it does this weekend after the gun show.

7. syberguner

syberguner XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've used both 2230 and 2460 as well as 2520, WC846, BLc2, H335 and others. Of these 23.5 gr to 24.5 of 2230 is usually the tighest group and often the highest velocity for a given charge (I chrono's 1/2 grain increments from 23 to 26 gr of each)

8. hawksp

hawksp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow. Really just wow. I took a hundred rounds each of the Hornady V-Max and Sierra 55 gr on 24 gr 2230 I made for my AR15 to the range at Ft. Bragg here yesterday. Those loads were much more accurate than anything commercial I've bought. It tightened my ground up considerably and the Captain I was shooting with put together one of those dream groups with it (Okay, he's SF and I'm not, he'd probably shoot you ammo better too).

I am definitely sold on reloading. Next....9mm.

9. hawksp

hawksp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sierra 55 gr "Blitzking"

10. hawksp

hawksp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Geez Im stoopid. Tightened my "group" up.

11. jbkazam

jbkazam XDTalk 500 Member

The still somewhat free portion of Illinois.
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Rather than admitting your "stoopidity", you could do what I do when I don't proof read well enough.

Use the "edit" button. ;)

12. hawksp

hawksp XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Edit? Oh edit. Yeah, I knew you could do that. :confused:

Thanks!