Accuracy of XD9 Service vs Ruger P95 & SR9

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by brianr34, Oct 4, 2009.

1. brianr34

brianr34 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few months ago I purchased by first hangun. (Ruger P95) This has been a good starter handgun, however the grip is bulky. I have been much more accurate with my Walther P22, compared to the P95.

I have been looking at the Ruger SR9 or the XD9 service as a replacement for the P95.

If anyone has experience with each of these guns I would appreciate feedback on the following:
    --Accuracy: which gun is the most accurate, up to 25 yds.
    --Sights: which gun has the highest quality sights.
    --Dependability: Which gun is the more dependable.

Thanks for any help.

2. SD Monkey

SD Monkey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best bet would be to rent both guns and shoot them to see what is better for you. Doesn't really matter what anyone says, it could be nothing but high marks for brand X but you don't like how it shoots or feels in your hand.

3. sloopy70

sloopy70 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, I've got 25,000 rounds through my xd9 service with no failures... and I've got a buddy that has a p95 that can't make it through a match without a failure...

4. kmc757

kmc757 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an XD SC .40 and I have a friend who owns the SR9. I have shot both guns, one after the other.

They are both reliable and accurate. I was actually a little more accurate with the SR9, which I attribute to the longer sight radius vs. my XD Subcompact. The grips and triggers are different and one will probably fit you better. If you can, rent both and then decide.

5. tnShooter83

tnShooter83 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Accuracy is Average in my opinion.
    But mine would spit the mag out after a every few rounds.
    I think if you put them in a rest the accuracy would be very close with the XD ahead by a little.

What make the XD more "Accurate" for most people is that it points very well.
    And if you can point it straight at the target and keep it there....
    then it will be accurate.

My vote would go to the XD over the P95, ad for the SR9 I've had no experience with it. Sorry.

6. FrankC

FrankC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Dad has a Ruger P95 and it has had frequent failures since day one, my XDm 9 has had a single ammo related failure (ftf) with an extremely scarred up bullet. The accuracy out to 25 yards is good with either pistol as long as you don't try to rapid-fire the Ruger, it recoils up and right where the xdm recoils straight up and drops back on target making it very easy to place follow up shots quickly. The takedown features of the Ruger are awful as well, if you tip the pistol in the wrong direction the ejector plate can shift during reassembly causing it to jam and requires pulling the plate rearward with a pick while relieving tension on the slide to allow the plate to move.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  7. zoobear

zoobear XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Ruger SR-9 is a little thinner than the XD9. The sights are smaller on the SR-9 but they are adjustable. The Ruger has a thumb safety and the XD does not. The accuracy is about the same. Both are good weapons.;)

8. Gdirty5

Gdirty5 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot my XD9sc better than my p95. But my p95 has less recoil, and is easier to shoot, if that makes any sense (though I'm not more accurate). The gun "noobs" tend like to shoot my p95 more, but I like the trigger on my xd.

9. kansasxd

kansasxd XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have two xd's and an sr9. I would get and xd i think they shoot better than a sr9. Just my thoughts.

10. ThomasA

ThomasA XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Both are good guns. Both will shoot just as accurate out to 25yds. In fact, they'd both shoot equally accurate out to 100yds. It's all in the hands of the shooter. Shoot both and see which you like better. Personally, the fact that the SR9's trigger group can't be disassembled due to the the pin being molded in to the frame is a huge turn-off for me.
    -Thomas

11. cwnko

cwnko XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have both an XD sub9 and a Ruger SR9. I carry the XD and the SR9. The xd is a very reliable weapon and once you get used to a short barrel it is very manageable and accurate. Nothing bad to say about it.
    The SR9 IMHO is a very under rated weapon. It is a good carry gun very thin close to the body with a in the belt holster. It too, is very accurate and a rock solid construction. It is a toss up! the more I shoot the SR9 the more I appreciate just how good it is. The price is very good, again I think it is very under rated. It hold 16 in the mag 1 in the chamber no reason for any extra magazines on one's person.
    I would recommend the SR9. Like someone already mentioned try to shoot both of them if possile at a range?

12. brianr34

brianr34 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for all of the feedback. I really want to like the SR9 because of its ergonomics, appearance and the manual safety. I do have some concerns about the SR9, based on my internet research. There has been a peening problem on some barrels. It sounds like Ruger has been very good about taking care of it.

Is there much difference in accuracy of the XD9 vs the XD9 sub compact? I do like the sub compact for the potential to carry it, however I do not want to sacrifice too much accuracy when I go to the range. (up to 25 yds)

13. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    Really...I'm willing to wager that if you put them all in a Ransom rest, that you'd find the accuracy is all about the same; it's how the pistols perform in your hands that makes the difference.

Example: I love Glock 21's; they shoot tight, right to point of aim, repeatably. Other people can't stand 'em because of the uber-chunky grip, and other various reasons...so what works for me, won't necessarily work for you.

Spend some quality range time with each one and see what works for you.

14. Cartouche

Cartouche XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in the same deal as you awhile back. I was just about to go Ruger, but for no other reason than the little voice in my head said XD. I had done alot of research and the XD won out. I won't go into all my findings other than the XD fit me better. Both are good weapons. The Ruger had some issues early on but have been resolved. I would trust both, but can tell you for a fact the XD9 or at least mine has been flawless. Several thousand rounds from casual plinking to high round count training. Had I not already bought thr service I would have gotten the XDM had it been avail at the time. My XD is a full time CCW as well. Good luck.

15. sud123

sud123 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first pistol was a Ruger P95. Great gun overall. I now have a xd service and gave my daughter the Ruger. I loved my ruger and will always have a soft spot in my heart for this weapon.
    But,,,,, the accuracy was pretty much the same until I got used to the Xd. Now I would say the XD is my choice in this area. I had no malfunctions with the Ruger and also with the XD. The main reason I love the XD better is it's easier to carry for me. Not sure why, it's just easier in my mind. I would go with the XD. That was my choice but either are good pistols. The P95 is less money but love my XD and have bought the 9 SC and tactical also. Could not be happier.