Accidental shooting at Pittsburgh gun show saturday....

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Ryno, May 17, 2005.

1. Ryno

Ryno XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was there for about 15 minutes having a good time, when I heard a shot. It didn't sound like a very loud shot... but it was a shot nonetheless. Everyone stopped in their tracks and looked towards the middle of the venue where it sounded like the shot came from. Then we heard someone yell "someone's hit" and all the security guards went running for the middle. It was a strange experience... i was suprised at how many people just continued carrying on their coversations and looking at the guns. Rather than me tell what happened... here is the story. It was def. a reminder to everyone how easily things can happen... luckily no one was injured badly. It says it was a 9mm... but by the sound I could have sworn it was a .22 it didn't sound loud at all... and the guy that got hit was just kinda sitting there talking to everyone saying he was ok.

On a lighter note... I got a great deal on some strip clips for my SKS. I saw a decent amount of XD's there... no super deals though... it seems like the price of them is going up.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/kqvradio/s_334457.html

2. A_Med

A_Med XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is too bad because you know what happens now. Some Brady Clone makes a big stink about the danger of gun shows. It could have been any psycho who slipped the round in just to watch this happen. In fact it's not a strategy I would doubt some gun-haters to use inorder to cause a stink. Just speculating of course but it makes me mad that someone could do this.

3. Captain Ray

Captain Ray XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW! I can't imagine the guy from Tipton making the mistake of having a loaded weapon ready for sale.. that doesn't make any sense. He would have cleaned it, and set it aside for the gun show.. Somebody had to have slipped a bullet in there... I smell reckless anti-gunner here! A life means nothing to them, not a human life anyways...

Raymond

4. brian40

brian40 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, that's some good PR for us :evil:

5. manygunner

manygunner XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to live in Pittsburgh and it does not surprise me it happened there. Too many macho "I know everything about guns and safety" types there, a bunch of low grade inbred morons, my neighbor was one. Here in WA at the WAC (Washington Arms Collectors) gunshows all actions are tied open at the door, only exceptions are on duty security/police. If you need to inspect the function of gun, like a revolver the dealer/merchant may remove the tie temporatily (they watch you like a hawk) and then retie it after. It helps keep the place safe. In any case the guy who got shot is a moron, failed to follow the 4 basic rules of gun safety . The dealer is probably also culpable for allowing a loaded gun into his showcase.

6. retired

retired XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Manygunner, I am guessing you made a typo error when you said, "...the guy who got shot is a moron..." since he was at a different vendor's table when he got shot. You meant the shooter I believe and you are so right in what you said re the violation of gun safety.

Well, as an aftermath of this, besides the bad publicity for the show by the gun haters, there probably be a law suit against the shooter, vendor and definitely the gun show; the latter two being the deep pockets type the lawyers like to go after. Thankfully he wasn't seriously hurt.

7. Verm

Verm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and this is another example of why YOU ALWAYS CHECK A FIREARM!!!

RULE 1: The firearm is aways loaded.

8. Captain Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, that the pistol should have never been pointed at anything not intended for shooting.. but honestly.. I just don't see how this could logically happen. I have not been to a whole lot of gun shows, but the few I have gone to, the seller/dealer locks the slide back before handing it to you. Same at gun counters. They look at it to make sure there is no magazine in it , and lock the slide back before ever handing the pistol over.

That is a pretty universal protocol.. I won't even hand one of my friends a pistol without this very basic check to make sure the weapon is clear. Something smells fishy about this story.

Raymond

9. lYxFizzyl

lYxFizzyl XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First off what kind of person hands over a loaded gun??? every gun store I been to always checks the chamber before handing over a pistol from the shelf even if it has a loaded chamber indicator.... what morons! Secondly why are you going to be pulling the trigger if you haven’t checked yourself?? Again what morons!!!

10. Verm

Verm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    many gun shows have the guns laying on the table in the open for anyone to just pick up and handle. It would have been real easy to pop a live round in the chamber and set it back down for the next person to pick up. This is the kind of stuff that happens when people get lax around guns though. At least it will be a reminder for the next few shows.

11. Captain Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That to me, seems like the most logical answer. If the dealer/seller had his/her weopons on a display table for buyers to look at and handle.. some wierdo could have slipped a live round in easilly enough. Pretty funny joke... :x

Raymond

12. USMC-PRIDE

USMC-PRIDE XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anti gunners strategy! Just like there strategy to poison gun dogs in the field, squirt water and/or piss at bowhunters in there deer stands with super soakers,etc., etc..... I don't know if it was an anti gunner that did this at the show but it would not suprise me if it was. i also would not be suprised if you found it as a normal or suggested strategy for these groups in a newsletter or blog or something, it is not like they hide there agendas or tactics from anyone.

13. lYxFizzyl

lYxFizzyl XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    for that case some wacko could have a magazine for the pistol they are picking up loaded full and go all out on people not a good place to keep guns with tons of people walking around.....

14. repeet

repeet XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, this is kinda good. Rising price usually means a steady demand. The more popular our favorite pistol becomes, the more respect it well get.

15. manygunner

manygunner XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right, I did. My mistake. I retract the part on the victim. The guy doing the gun handling and the merchant should be nailed to a wall though.