Springfield XD Forum banner

A Saiga Evolves

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  R3dbull4dd1kt 
#1 · (Edited)
Once upon a time, on a beautiful Saturday afternoon I picked up a new Saiga 7.62x39.

Disassembled and started conversion process.

Dremels are proof that God still loves Man! :cool:

Grind three rivets, pound them out, pop the receiver/trigger guard plate off and presto.
PG hole is there as I already noted, and you can see the original trigger hole is setup for a single hook FCG.
Now its time to clean/degrease and paint.
I'll be using Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic, in semi-gloss black.

Then I cut the barrel sleeve off and... Hell Yeah! Threads :twisted:

'VLTOR AK Tube Adapter'
'MagPul MOE'

'Hogue Pistol Grip'
'Factory Forearm'
'Phantom Flash Hider'
'Tromix Tapco G2 Trigger'
'CSS Bullet Guide'

Then I got tired of the plain factory forearm & modified it with ventilation slots.

Finally I removed the factory forearm & replaced it with
'Hogue Forearm'
'CSS Lower Handguard Retainer'
'AK47 Vented Gas Tube'

I think I may finally be done with it... Then again, maybe not.
I think the new MagPul MOE AK fixed triangle stock is pretty nice.
Yeah, its a sickness.

See less See more
#4 ·
very nice...wish I had the stones to cut the cap off my Saiga .223 barrel...but I doubt there are threads underneath :(

very clean build!

#5 ·
^ probably no threads, my last saiga conversion had no threads under the barrel, the OPs Saiga is an older model and a lot of the older models (7,62x39) had threaded barrels. I pulled the FSB of a 2009-2010 5,45x39 Saiga no threads, same model years in 7,62 had threads. 2013/2014 Saiga 7,62x39 no threads on barrel. Mine didn't at least.

#6 ·
I have not read of a single .223 having threads...I will likely break down and thread it this Spring...

#10 · (Edited)
Odds of any Saiga rifle other than an 2009 7.62x39 having threads is 0%.
Odds of an '09 7.62x39 having threads is about 50%.

Contrary to all the guessing games about how to tell if your '09 has threads or not, by looking at the front of the barrel sleeve/barrel.
There is really only one way to know for sure... Chop it off.
When folks found out that Izmash sent out threaded barrels, a helluva lot of barrel sleeves got chopped.

#12 ·
How does the CSS Bullet Guide stack up to Dinzag's offering? Only asking in case my second Homebuilt attempt fails as epicly as my initial attempt did...:grin:

#14 ·
mine is a Flat Trun. so its a little trickier to index as I understand it...can't decide which route to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.