A handgun warning while traveling through Illinois

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by bat1159man, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bat1159man

bat1159man XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    <TABLE class=yspcontent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=974 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="" vAlign=top width=720>
    I do not want anyone traveling through our lovely state to have their holidays spoiled by a routine traffic stop! Bill Maas was in trouble anyway but he had the additional misdemeanor charge placed against him for having a loaded handgun in the car. I am putting this our so you can be aware of the way Illinois State Patrol Troopers will view having a handgun that is loaded in the automobile. My nephew is a State Trooper and they are not very understanding when they see a weapon in the passenger compartment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broadcastertrial&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bill Maas headed to trial March 10

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Bill Maas headed to trial March 10

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>December 4, 2007

PEKIN, Ill. (AP) -- Bill Maas, a former Fox Sports broadcaster who used to play in the NFL, will be tried March 10 on drug and weapons charges.
    Maas was arraigned Monday, pleading not guilty and requesting a jury trial. He was charged with two felony counts of possession of a controlled substance after Illinois State Police allegedly found cocaine and ecstasy in his sport utility vehicle during a July roadside safety check in East Peoria. The 45-year-old broadcaster is also charged with misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon after police said he had a loaded handgun in the car. Maas, a lineman, played for the Kansas City Chiefs and the Green Bay Packers from 1984-93.

For an additional read -

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The drugs and loaded gun would piss off a lot of state troopers, no matter what state.
    Bad ju-ju.

3. bat1159man

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I agree - Bill Maas was toast and the gun charge was an extra. My concern is for anyone from a state that has better gun laws coming through Illinois during the holidays. If they are not aware of the potential consequences of carrying a loaded firearm, it could really spoil the holiday trip by being booked on a Class 4 Felony.

4. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0
    No offense but if I were a cop and caught someone with drugs and a gun, I would do my best to put them away for as long as I could as well. A gun in a car I'd let slide if they were squeaky clean, if not THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE A GUN. and i"m locking them up

5. Frenchy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    No Maas, No Maas! :D

6. bat1159man

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

ROTFLMAO - nicely done Frenchy!

7. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I;m driving from Florida to Minneapolis - probably leaving this coming weekend or early next week.

I have to go through both Illinois and Wisconsin (without making any absurd detours....besides, I'd like and stop and see a friend near Lake Zurich, Ill.

Will I be OK if my guns are unloaded and in the trunk (actually back of an SUV)? Ammo locked in a separate box?

I looked at the "handgunsUSA" site but it is not as clear as the old "packing.org" - which had everything spelled out more clearly.

My route will go through GA, Tenn., and Ky...all recognize my Fl. CCW. Then Ill and Wis., which don't. Then Mn which also does not, but at least it's a shall issue state, so I'm guessing I can have the guns unloaded and locked in the car. It's Ill. and Wisconson that concern me...only two states in the US that have NO CCW permits (or that's the way it looks).

Not taking the guns isn't an option since I will probably not return to Florida...MN. is a stop on my way to my ultimate destination of Colorado.

I'll have two rifles, but since every state allows hunting, I don't see them as much of a problem locked in hard cases unloaded....is that right?

Edit: read the link in the first post (guess I should have before). Looks like I'll be OK in Illinois, Now I just need to find out about Wisconson. Looks like Illinois I just need to have guns unloaded and not readily accessible (back of car and zipped up in back-pack). Ammo seems to be a non issue as long as it's also kept in the "trunk" (back of SUV and not readily accessible).

What struck me as stange is my Fl CCW permit is not recognized in Colorado, but a Colorado permit is OK here. Too bad for me. Mn. permit is not recognized very widely at all. Again, too bad. Nebraska (I'll need to go through) seems to not honor Fl, Mn. or Co....:(

Peace,
    D.

8. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    How many times have y'all been pulled over and searched????

Me= none.

Yes I have gotten tickets, but never ever searched (this does not cout airports and court houses, where I am ALWAYS searched), even when I am standing in someone else's house, who is on vacation and I tell the sherriff's / state troopers / local leo that I accidentally set off the alarm because I didn't know the alarm was on. I show the LEO's my license, they look at it, and give it back and leave.

I must just look innocent (unlike Frenchy)!!:p:p

9. busker

busker XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Traveling through the anti gun state I still keep a loaded gun in the car just better hidden cover it with a scent killer soaked rag

and have in the trunk a empty gun ammo & clips all locked up and separate seems to apease them ..when a ccw comes up on their computer they do have cause to search
    or so I was told. even if you say you have no gun--

I was told if the LEO says well we can wait for the a search warrent or lets wait for my supervisor

call his bluff he does not have grounds and is trying to have you ok it rather than wait
    call their bluff - I did after a half hour I was told to go.

10. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good point....me neither. But I'd rather comply than not especially since it's easy - just have to know the rules to be able to know HOW to comply.

Your call. Me, I'd rather play it safe.....

Tec asked how many times anyone's been pulled over and searched. How many times have you needed to have a loaded gun in the car?

Seems chances are FAR higher of having your car searched than needing a loaded gun. Lots of downside, upside is possible, but so is winning the lottery.

Peace,
    D.

11. tenring

tenring XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I am traveling through both Ill and WI for the holidays. And I do unload and lock up in those states. Make sure you also carry a copy of the Peaceable Journey portion of the federal law, as there have been some cases even in Chicago where travelers were hassled about their unloaded firearms during transport. As you know, the Democratic Republic of Daley has outlawed handguns for its citizens.

NRA site on Interstate transport

12. Fish609

Fish609 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I live in NW Indiana right next to the "NO GUNS" state we sometimes call Illinois.

I try to avoid going to that state, but when I do I just leave the gun at home. It's a sad day when when an honest, law-abiding citizen who the law sees fit to carry a protective piece in one state would just as soon be thrown in jail for it in another.

We also go to Minnesota every summer for fishing/hiking/camping and I have to leave the only thing that could save my life from a bear in Indiana. (or at least I had to the last time I checked) (not that it could kill the bear, but maybe scare it away?)

13. fastboy

fastboy XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think the gun charge is just a bonus they throw in to make sure his drug charge conviction will go surer and longer.

14. Bree

Bree XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Illinois isn't as bad as many other states. This guy should have given the Ill. State Police a call and they would have told him what he needed to do to stay out of gun trouble. Instead he decided to play chicken with some tough hombres. He is lucky as can be that they only charged him with a misdemeanor instead of tossing him in the clink for several years with no possibility of parole.

Dope and guns don't mix in Illinois (or NY for that matter!)
    :eek::eek::eek:

15. Frenchy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Or about 48 other states...:rolleyes: