a few ?'s from a rookie wanting to improve his 4"

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by Heelsby20, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Heelsby20

Heelsby20 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've put a few thousand rounds through my 4" .45 XD and now i want to change a few things. I've been checking out Springer Precision. I've never done ANY customization to a pistol before, so i wanted to get a few pointers/tips from you guys first. 2 questions

1: Are there any disadvantages to reducing the strength of my recoil spring? I've seen a few that have a 16lb rating. My first thought when i pulled this gun out of the box was, "Man! I get a workout just pulling the slide!"

2: I may be spoiled from my kimber, but i feel the trigger has alot of travel in it. I dont mind the pull weight so much, just the distance. SP has a trigger kit for $130, is it worth it? Could I install it?

Thanks guys!!!

2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Springer makes a good kit as does PRP and they provide good instructions and will help if you need to call them. That said, the kits will improve the trigger by reducing the travel but don't expect it to be a 1911 trigger. The trigger job will get it close just don't expect it to feel exactly like the Kimber. if you've never worked on a gun before and are not familiar with doing safety checks then sending it in is a good option.

I'll let others chime in on the spring change. Too light can cause different issues but mine are Compacts with a captured spring assembly. No idea about the spring rates in the Service model.

Welcome BTW!

3. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Unless you are shooting reduced power reloads, keep the stock recoil assembly or a new option, go with the Canyon Creek 22# spring and guiderod. Do not know of any 16 lb spring for XD45, That is way too light. If the spring does not hold the slide in-battery long enough for the pressure to drop, you can have high pressure gasses discharged into the slide and out the port. This will also really slam the slide open and could lead to long term damage. It can also mess with the entire slide function timing for ejection, mag pushing up next round and slide pickup to chamber the new round. As a quick check, ejected brass should ideally fall 3-6 ft from the ejection port. Most full power ammo in the XD45 4" will throw brass about 8-10ft even with the stock spring, so would not recommend going lighter. The Canyon Creek springs seem good for those needing to tune the pistol for shooting low power ammo and then switching back to higher strength springs for SD ammo. The stock assembly will have a longer life (more cycles) than the specialty springs.
    Either Springer or PRP, both make a good easy to fit trigger kit. If you can work a file and emory cloth you can do the job. Mixing of kit parts is not recommended. Instructional videos are around. I think Canyon Creek also carries trigger modification parts, but not familiar with that. Springer has disassembly/assembly videos stickied on the forum. .

4. Heelsby20

Heelsby20 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the facts. You've definitely pointed me in a better direction. I've done a bit more research, which backs both of you. I've know my xd has a 2 spring captive recoil system, which i think is the reason its so darn hard to rack. Will going to a single spring make for easier racking but still allow it to lock up properly? I plan on ordering the Canyon 22# kit after the reviews i read. If its not for me, then its only a $33 mistake (i've made worse).
    As for the trigger, i think i'm going to go for it and try the springer kit eventually. I do shoot a bunch of .45's, so most of my money goes towards more rounds... LOL. I'll spend the $130 on the trigger when i feel i can install it seamlessly.

5. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    In a word ... NO !!

You'll need the same spring rate (compressive force) for the gun to function as it currently does ... See Thumper's explanation !!

I'd stay close to stock, but ... If you really want to spend the money and change the spring, go for it.

Myself, I'm still running the stock spring, in a stock gun - XD9 Fails - The title is sarcasm ;)
    Concerning the trigger, all I can say is many people like the Springer kit, and you'll not really go wrong with a Springer, Canyon Creek, or Powder River unit ... This is based on many reads of what others have said about these units, and most importantly their ability to install the kit, properly.

6. vicridr

vicridr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really thought this was going to be a thread about an ad for a little blue pill you got in an e-mail.

Since it's not, I'll research triggers too.

7. Staticxd00d

Staticxd00d XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    roflmao!

8. ZRU_Project

ZRU_Project XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one that went there, but good job on the more mature answers above. This forum consistently impresses me with its members willingness to help others. Take a bow fellas.