95 Percent Lower Receiver

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by The Weapon, Aug 26, 2011.

1. The Weapon

The Weapon XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +202 / 4
    Whats left? The hole for the selector switch?

My guess would be by law they are not selling a functioning lower. IF you modify it to make it functioning then its on you to register it.

3. mbquimby

mbquimby XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +253 / 7
    Why would you pay as much, and in some cases more, for a stripped, unfinished and unanodized lower just so that you can have it sent to your house? Am I missing something?

4. The Weapon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well this is marked at $129.99. which is about the same give or take $20 as a complete finished receiver. I just was curious what the purpose of a 95% finished receiver would be?

I get not having to deal with the FFL transfer but i wasn't sure if that meant you could build your own firearm from scratch without registeration and the company was trying to cash in on a possible loop hole type thing since technically all the other rifles parts could get shipped to your door without ATF notification.

5. mbquimby

mbquimby XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +253 / 7

From what I read, the selecter switch hole and the trigger area is completely unmilled. That is a lot of precise work to do just to not have to go to a LGS to pick up a lower. To me, that must mean they are trying to cash in on a different market. I can't see there being many people out there with the capability to finish the milling that would rather do that than spend 20 more dollars.

6. The Weapon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you go to 2:25 they talk about the unfinished receiver [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VL5iEJUikE&feature=player_embedded]American Spirit Arms on Tactical Tech TV - YouTube[/ame]

7. Mr Evilwrench

Mr Evilwrench XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have some of these, the fixture for clamping them, and the machine and bits to finish them. I hope to get to that soon. Yes, you can complete them. Yes, you can build rifles on them. No, you don't have to fill a 4473 or transfer it. No, you can't ever sell it; it's yours forever, BUT, it doesn't officially exist. Apparently, it's suggested to put some kind of serial number on it, but even that's not mandated. SHTF rifles, you know.

8. John A.

John A. XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 5
    The ATF has always frowned on receivers more than 80% complete.

Even a quick google couldn't find anything more than 80% listed: [ame="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=more+than+80%25+complete+receiver&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACEW_enUS357US357"]more than 80% complete receiver - Google Search[/ame]

It would take a milling machine to hollow out the chamber for the fire control parts, and drill the holes for the selector and FCG pins. Unknown about selector detent and takedown detent and pistol grip screw. I can't see those area's

Personally, I think I would drill the FCG pin holes and selector hole before milling the interior. But that's just me.

9. Mr Evilwrench

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh, that's right. What you see there is 80%, not 95%. I'd meant to correct that. Yes, it's recommended to drill the FCG holes before milling.

10. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The finished reveiver is for the personal use of the individual that completes "manufacturing" the lower. You cannot make one for someone else but you can loan or borrow tools like a template as long as you do the work yourself. It is not intended to be manufactured (completed) with the express intention of resale to others and No registration is needed as such. (Keep your 80% reciept/purchase paperwork). It is advisable to avoid problems, for the receiver to be properly marked immediately upon upon completion. If later, you decide you need to sell the receiver or entire assembled firearm the engraved or stamped identification with your name as the 'brand' manufacturer, your chosen serial number (and possibly dated-not sure) in accordance with all BATFE regs is used for this. It may be sold/ transfered the same as a normal store bought AR. You will get looked at if you seem to continually be finishing and selling receivers without the proper FFL manufacturing license. But an occasional sale like when people normally might sell a firearm is allowed within the guidelines and there is a paper trail of the transaction.

11. John A.

John A. XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 5
    To my knowlege, any weapon to be transferred must have a make, model, serial number, city, state engraved at a minimum of .003" deep, and 1/16" font size. I'm fairly certain the GCA of 1968 has specific wording about serial numbers and such.

And FET tax should be paid at the time of transfer too.

12. Mr Evilwrench

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, I had the idea lodged between my two remaining functional brain cells that it would never be possible to transfer it, but that's not really important to me, as I don't intend to anyway. That's why I didn't look into it any deeper. More information is always appreciated.

13. gpatte1403

gpatte1403 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In most of my searches only find 80% lower. Seems to be a wide variety and price range. Forged lowers sold at gunpartsplus.com and billet lowers sold at tastactical seem to be some of the best prices, but still looking.

14. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 1
    my guess is it is classified as an 80%, but they are going for the lazy/afraid of the ATF niche market.

ps, looks like lots of machine work left to do IMO

15. XDMnSC

XDMnSC XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A 2 year old thread brought back to life.