Springfield XD Forum banner

7rnd magazine chop....

10K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Sequoia 
#1 ·
regarding the 7rnd to 6 magazine chop....is there any instructions on how to do this somewhere or is it something best left to the experts? Any special skills needed?

#2 ·
It involves cutting out a section and welding the two pieces back together. And trimming the size of the follower. So it takes someone skilled in welding very thin stainless steel. I'm looking at sending mine to log man for a fee.

#3 ·
It involves cutting out a section and welding the two pieces back together. And trimming the size of the follower. So it takes someone skilled in welding very thin stainless steel. I'm looking at sending mine to log man for a fee.
welding huh? .... isnt that like gluing with fire?

Reactions: chrispens
#4 ·
Welding seems to be one way, but log man (I'm sure you read about him) does not weld. You can see from looking at his pics that he cuts off roughly 1/2 inch from the bottom of the magazine. What he does from there I don't know. For the nominal fee I think I'd rather have him do it.

#5 ·
Welding seems to be one way, but log man (I'm sure you read about him) does not weld. You can see from looking at his pics that he cuts off roughly 1/2 inch from the bottom of the magazine. What he does from there I don't know. For the nominal fee I think I'd rather have him do it.
That is what I am going to do when my xds comes back with the 7 rd mag. I want Log Man to do mine. I don't trust my own skills gunsmithing, so I would rather have someone who knows exactly what they are doing to modify mine.

#6 ·
I already have two 7 rounders and was planing to have one converted to six rounds.
I think Log Man might want to consider hiring a couple extra hands...something tells me he might be very busy in the near future.

#10 ·
Welding is involved, however it isn't as you might expect. I do not section the mag, but cut off the bottom portion, and re-establish the rails. The logo is higher and intact. The spring is not cut nor should be. The follower is not cut and should never ever be cut.

LOG
Interesting. I had barely given it any though and figured the spring would be tensioned to handle the exact amount of rounds.

After having thought about it though it makes sense. There is less metal, but 1 less round, so as far as the spring is concerned you've just not fully loaded the mag and still functions just fine.

#11 ·
Interesting. I had barely given it any though and figured the spring would be tensioned to handle the exact amount of rounds.

After having thought about it though it makes sense. There is less metal, but 1 less round, so as far as the spring is concerned you've just not fully loaded the mag and still functions just fine.
Well sort of, but the opposite. Since the mag is shortened the equivalent of one round and holds one less round the mag spring is under the same compression when full with either the 7rd, or 6rd. When empty the mag spring is exerting the same tension as it does with the 7rd. with one cartridge. That's the difference.

LOG

#15 ·
That is what I am going to do when my xds comes back with the 7 rd mag. I want Log Man to do mine. I don't trust my own skills gunsmithing, so I would rather have someone who knows exactly what they are doing to modify mine.
But you trust the skills & reliability of Logman? :rolleyes:

#16 ·
But you trust the skills & reliability of Logman? :rolleyes:

Yes he did the XDs magazine mod for me and they turned out perfectly with fast turnaround time. What more do you want?

#18 ·
Yes he did the XDs magazine mod for me and they turned out perfectly with fast turnaround time. What more do you want?
If I'm going to bet my LIFE on it...a LOT more than a DIY job. Most malfunctions can be traced back to the MAGAZINE!

Even factory mags F*** up at times. Adding to that issue...is your funeral

If it's just for the range, who cares. But then why pay extra $$$ to cut up a range magazine?

#19 ·
If I'm going to bet my LIFE on it...a LOT more than a DIY job. Most malfunctions can be traced back to the MAGAZINE!

If it's just for the range, who cares. But then why pay extra $$$ to cut up a range magazine?
Well the interesting facts are the shortened mag has exactly the same tension under the top round when full, and has the same tension on the last as the next to last had before it was cut down, not a bad thing.

LOG

#20 ·

so by your posting, you don't test fire your factory magazines? Would seem short-sighted and pretty ignorant to discount what is obviously an awesome, well-executed idea just because you assume it won't be reliable...without any basis for your claim...

It also would go without saying that any magazine needs to be thoroughly run on the range, with a variety of ammo, before being deemed "Carry Friendly"...

#21 ·

I should have added that when I said they turned out perfectly that I tested both modified mags extensively at the range and they worked flawlessly. I am now carrying them on a regular basis. Much rather have 6 rounds than 5, by using a Pierce extension. And I refuse to carry the ridiculous 7 rounder.
Not sure why you would criticize if you have not tried them.

#22 ·
I'll reiterate my wish that SA offer 6 round mags - seems to be something that should be an option.

That said, the work that logman provides looks really good and he's to be commended and thanked for providing such a useful service for such a reasonable price.

#23 ·
I'll reiterate my wish that SA offer 6 round mags - seems to be something that should be an option.

That said, the work that logman provides looks really good and he's to be commended and thanked for providing such a useful service for such a reasonable price.
Reasonable? I'v heard a lot of high prices here on the forum?

#24 ·
You seem to have alot of negative things to say about these modified mags.
Laughable as you have never seen or used them. I say the price could be considered very reasonable if the extra round it supplies saves my life someday.

#25 ·
Please if you would like to take over the mod of the XDs mag, I will step back.

It is a lot of work to cut this style mag down and establish the rails for the base pad, as well as cut the spacer down, yes it more then doubles the cost of the mag. And yet I can modify the EMP mag to flush for half the cost of the XDs mag, and can do 3-EMP mags in the same time as 1-XDs mag. So will probably discontinue doing the XDs in the near future.

LOG

#26 ·
Please if you would like to take over the mod of the XDs mag, I will step back.

It is a lot of work to cut this style mag down and establish the rails for the base pad, as well as cut the spacer down, yes it more then doubles the cost of the mag. And yet I can modify the EMP mag to flush for half the cost of the XDs mag, and can do 3-EMP mags in the same time as 1-XDs mag. So will probably discontinue doing the XDs in the near future.

LOG
Log,

Don't let a couple blowhards bother you. Your doing a great service modifying these mags. Workmanship is first rate & fast turnaround.
The price is the price, if people want to bitch about it,that's their problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.