$78 per person for Bank of America class action suit. Go get your money folks

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by billbrasky, Jan 27, 2009.

1. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    I have been speculating the banks were doing this since 1999.

I knew i was right.

Bret and Jemaine should file claim for $78 from Bank of America - WalletPop Blog

Bret and Jemaine should file claim for $78 from Bank of America

Aaron Crowe
    Jan 27th 2009 at 8:00AM
    Text SizeAAA
    Filed under: Banks, Budgets, Ripoffs and Scams
    Anyone who has been dinged by their bank for an overdraft charge, as the two main characters were in the recent "Flight of the Conchords" show on HBO, knows that sinking feeling you get when you see it on your bank statement.

There's now a chance to exact a little revenge by getting up to $78 back from Bank of America as part of a class-action lawsuit recently settled by Bank of America and any of the banks it acquired between 2000 and 2007, according to SmartMoney story.

The lawsuit, settled for $35 million, alleged that the bank failed to warm customers that transactions were triggering fees, and that it changed the posting order of transactions and embarked on other activities in order to increase revenue from non-sufficient funds fees, overdraft fees and similar charges.

Bank of America denies any wrongdoing and is agreeing to pay up to $78 per account holder. The average household pays $368 in overdraft fees each year, according to Brenton Woods, a financial services advisory firm quoted in the SmartMoney story.

WalletPop's Sarah Gilbert wrote about this method of making money at Bank of America in December.Bank of America also owns Fleet Bank, LaSalle Bank and U.S. Trust Co. If you were charged an overdraft fee at Bank of America or one of those banks between 2000 and 2007, you may want to file a claim.

The deadline to file a claim is May 1.

<script type="text/javascript">adsonar_placementId=1420510;adsonar_pid=992772;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=230;adsonar_zh=260;adsonar_jv='ads.tw.adsonar.com';</script><script language="JavaScript" src="http://js.adsonar.com/js/adsonar.js"></script><form id="qas_frm" name="qas_frm" method="get" action="" target=""><input name="ie52_mac_only" value="" type="hidden"></form><iframe name="adsonar_serve365982" id="adsonar_serve365982" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" src="http://ads.tw.adsonar.com/adserving/getAds.jsp?previousPlacementIds=&placementId=1420510&pid=992772&ps=-1&zw=230&zh=260&url=http%3A//www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/01/27/bret-and-jemaine-should-file-claim-for-78-from-bank-of-america/&v=5&dct=Bret%20and%20Jemaine%20should%20f-%20America%20-%20WalletPop%20Blog&ref=http%3A//us.mc564.mail.yahoo.com/mc/showMessage%3Ffid%3DInbox%26sort%3Ddate%26order%3Ddown%26startMid%3D0%26.rand%3D2123552327%26da%3D0%26midIndex%3D0%26mid%3D1_406349_AFNv%252FNgAAMv5SX%252BGPwNFYlf%252FqY4%26f%3D1%26nextMid%3D1_405149_AFRv%252FNgAATvJSX91BgntGzX%252BpuI%26m%3D1_406349_AFNv%252FNgAAMv5SX%252BGPwNFYlf%252FqY4%2C1_405149_AFRv%252FNgAATvJSX91BgntGzX%252BpuI%2C1_405468_AFBv%252FNgAAEAKSX9uEwa2rUk1cOs%2C1_405766_AFNv%252FNgAATbZSX9oAwSZNhjvMJ8%2C1_406067_AFJv%252FNgAAAsJSX9dxgnsknZb4Zs%2C1_403004_AFFv%252FNgAAMg%252BSX9QFw7VRT3mUjM%2C" frameborder="0" height="260" scrolling="no" width="230"></iframe>
    Opting out of a bank's overdraft protection wasn't part of the new credit card rules that the Federal Reserve recently passed, although consumer advocates are hopeful the Fed will look into overdraft fees later this year.

A claim form can be filled out online or printed out to mail in. A few details are needed, such as dates you were a customer and the eligible account number. You don't have to give details of specific instances when you were charged a fee. And if you don't want to send your account number, you can specify your home address at the time you believe you were charged a fee.

And for those non "Flight of the Conchords" fans on HBO, the latest episode had Bret's purchase of a $2.79 coffee mug, leaving their checking account $2.79 short, causing a $30 overdraft fee, and thus insufficient funds to pay the electric bill, and another $30 fee for having the check bounce for the electric bill. And Bret and Jemaine had their power turned off. A good lesson to keep enough money in the checking account to avoid fees.

Aaron Crowe is an unemployed journalist in the San Francisco Bay Area. Read about his job search at Aaron Crowe > Tales of an unemployed dad

<object height="295" width="480">

<embed name="s_media_1_0" id="s_media_1_0" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqxnm6t3QMw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="295" width="480"></object><!-- /sidebar -->

2. community

community XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    will apply tomorrow. thanks.

3. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    if you click the link to the original link, there is a link in the text you can do it on line.

Closson Settlement

4. godseviltwin

godseviltwin XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    all i have to say is i hope you trust that site. to give them your bank account number, address, phone number and bank you use seems a little fishy online. sorry maybe i am a little paranoid.

5. Joeywhat

Joeywhat XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    W00T!

Those f***ers took well over $100 from me last year, and I KNOW...I KNOW the a-holes were switching around my posting dates to f** me over. i was screamin' at my phone to the two idiots I talked to (who both had different posting dates they were looking at for my checks, different then what I saw) and they refused to do a god-damn thing.

I'm getting my money. Once my "keep the change" money comes in they owe me I'm cancelling all my accounts.

6. Joeywhat

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    You don't have to give them your account number. You can mail it in as well if you like.

7. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    i know longer have an account there i gave up on banks in 2001/2002 all credit unions from here on out.

No one can steal money from an account i havent had in years.

I am safe, but good for active accounts to be weary, if you have an active account i would look into it a wee bit more or go to the local branch in person etc.

8. Joeywhat

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I've seen 4 independent websites list the same URL for the form, so either it's legit or one of the best scams ever to hit the intrawebz. You have until May, so it wouldn't hurt to wait until March or so to see if anyone got burned.

I doubt anyone at BoA even knows about it...and if they do they were probably told to keep quiet. Hell, I've yet to even find a BoA employee who understands how to use their computers :rolleyes:

9. afmo

afmo XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 1
    OOH might have to buy myself a 91/30 now :)

does anyone know if its per person, or per account? Like I've got myself and the missus on the account, can we both apply?

10. afmo

afmo XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 1
    you can use your home address in lieu of your bank account number.

11. Ride the Lightning

Ride the Lightning XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Holy dog poop! $368/yr in overdraft charges? No wonder the country is in trouble, nobody can manage their money. I've had $60 in charges my whole life and it was because the bank changed their terms and neglected to tell me.

FWIW, it is normal bank procedure to run checks of higher amounts before checks of lower amount. Their logic is that the larger check is obviously more important, so it should go first. Unfortunately that usually ends up costing you 3 or 4 times as much in fees if you have other checks outstanding at the time.

12. Joeywhat

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    This isn't just about BoA doing one check before the other...it's a matter of them charging you the OD fee EVEN when you never dipped below $0. I got burned once a few years back (I ONLY did online banking, didn't keep a balance). Then I kept a written balance as well and they screwed me even when I kept above the limit. It was even listed correctly on my online statement, but they insisted that it (and I) was wrong about the whole ordeal and that I needed to do a better job of balancing my check book (it's 3rd grade math :roll:).

I was right, they were wrong. I checked it enough times to be sure. It's a good thing those jackasses on the other end of the phone weren't next to me, I'd probably make their ears bleed I was screaming so loud.

13. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    had the same thing happen to me at first federal, i had an account since i was a paper boy in the 6th grade all the way till i was 20, dropped them, then standard federal did the same thing. I even talked to a manager there that said "banks don't make mistakes". That was her exact words. At that particular bank, no less than three times, they put my money in my dads, account, just cause we have the same last name, i go by a first name nick name that is similar but different, and different middle name, and of course OUR ACCOUNTS WERE NOT MUTUAL/joint ACCOUT, and every number was different on the account. How is putting money in the wrong account on a regular basis not a "mistake"

Banks just suck. I love my credit union.

14. Joeywhat

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I've been thinking about a credit union...is it pretty much just a bank that doesn't do loans or anything?

I mean, I don't need to earn interest on anything, just need a debit card and a place to have my paycheck direct deposited. My last 100 interactions with BoA employees has been horrible at best.

15. Ride the Lightning

Ride the Lightning XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I hate mine, but it's the best service I've had. I'll stick with it until something better is available. When I opened my account with them I had it setup to put $200/month in a savings account and that money was supposed to be automatically transferred in the event that I overdrafted. One month I wrote my truck payment (auto tranfer from checking) in my checkbook twice. My wife caught the mistake and fixed it, but didn't tell me. The next month I didn't write it in because I was one payment ahead in my ledger. Wrong. I paid the truck payment and several bills and it overdrafted 3 times. If they had run the truck payment last it would have only done it once. When I got the notice I called and asked WTF was going on and they told me it was overdrafted. No kidding, I could tell that from the letter. When I told her they additional money was supposed to come from savings she told me the didn't do that and never had. To bad I still had the documentation from when I opened the account that showed that they should have pulled the money from savings. They still wouldn't refund the charges though. Pissed me off.