6 1/2 Remington primers in 223?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by xdmikey, Dec 23, 2008.

1. xdmikey

xdmikey XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Am I the only chump who didn't know this was a bad thing? I mean, outside the two asshats at Gander Mountain in Spring Texas who sold them to me?
    Happened to read a thread on arfcom about this very thing. I've already posted and vented there so this is just a heads up for my family here-know your vendors!
    Two employees told me that they would be fine for loading 223 in an AR15-stupid asshats, if I may say so again!

2. rodnocker1

rodnocker1 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've heard that if you are using a spring loaded firing pin, there probably wouldn't be any problem but with a regular free floating one....Well, Hello slam fire! The best thing to do is "just say no!" and stick with the CCI 5.56 Military Primers. I guess it could be worse, they could have been Federals. :lol:

3. highscore

highscore XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've used Rem 7 1/2 primers without incident, some primers are harder than others. Anyone who has chambered a round in an AR from bolt lock and ejected the round has probably noticed that the firing pin hits the primer. Kind of reinforces the reason why you really need to point it in a safe direction and the reason why they throw you out of Highpower matches when the guy running the line sees you chamber a round with the muzzle up in the air!

4. highscore

highscore XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is wrong with Federals??? I have loaded and fired thousands of them, both standard and match primers, and have never had a slamfire or misfire. They are my favorite!

5. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    The only thing more amusing than the asshats behind the counter of a gunstore are the Einsteins on the internet who post b.s. information on forums like this. I've loaded and fired thousands of rounds through my AR, all of which rounds have been loaded with either regular old Remington small rifle primers or CCI small rifle primers. I'm now using Wolf "standard" small rifle primers, and I'm using them for both AR .223 reloading and 9mm reloading.

You don't need "special" military primers for reloading for an AR!!! If you're worried about a slam-fire, piss a little money away on a titanium firing pin. :)

6. rodnocker1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to step on any toes or to offend anyone, all I was doing was posting information I had read (that's why I said "heard") on the different manufacturers web sites along with ARFCOM and other sites that deal with mostly AR's. I didn't say you "need" to use special military primers, just that CCI says their primers are harder to touch off. That's not my internet "BS" but CCI's and I would presume that they would know since they make them. Use 'em, don't use 'em...it's no skin off my nose or my rifle.

If you have never had a slam fire (I haven't and don't intend to), that's great and I hope it never happens, so load away. Although I do wonder if, by loading and firing "thousands" of rounds with no incident,.....Does this now make YOU one of those "Internet Einsteins" posting BS or is yours anymore credible information than others? :confused:

As far as spending a little money on the titanium firing pin...Why? I bought my CCI "Military Primers" for just over $18.00 a 1,000 shipped to my door. Supposedly (again, according to CCI) this takes care of any "slam fires" and was still $10.00+ a 1,000 cheaper than Winchester. Right now at Widener's.com, you can get Wolf small rifle primers for $18.50 per 1,000 + HazMat + shipping. Not a bad price although once you go to Widener's to order them, make sure you see the bold red oversized notice about how if you are loading for an AR15, you should use the Magnum primers because they have a "harder brass cup" than the regular primers "more sensitive" copper ones.

Again, not my "BS" but the people who make them and sell them.

Oh yeah, I'm glad I could bring a little "Amusement" into your life. It's so hard to find much to laugh at these days. :lol::lol::lol::mrgreen:

edit: For the fun of it (and more laughs), I just went to Powder Valley Inc. and checked out the Wolf primers. Guess what, Wolf makes a primer just for AR15's. It's "WOL223" and the same price as their small rifle primers..... Isn't it "amusing" that Wolf also feels there is a need for AR15 primers to be different than their regular ones (I'm wondering which they use in their .223 ammo)????? :confused: ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  7. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Nope, it's not surprising that Wolf or anybody else would manufacture a "specialty" AR-15 primer for consumption by the ignorant proletariat. :-D I've never used Federal primers, which are more sensitive than most other brands, but have used thousands of CCIs. Am now using regular Wolf small rifle primers and won't have any problems with them either.

Some folks even buy "benchrest" primers. Think they're really "better"???:)

8. rodnocker1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know it wasn't directed at me but there's nothing wrong with being one of the "ignorant proletariat". Everyone is ignorant about something since, contrary to what some may believe, no one knows everything about everything. There is a huge difference between "Ignorant" and "Stupid".

As far as being a member of the proletariat, there's also nothing wrong with earning an honest days pay for an honest days work. People believe that this country grew to where it is because of the "Entrepreneur" and for the most part, they are right. They are the ones who come up with the ideas, seek investors or financing, and risk everything, usually using their own labor to grow. But without the working class, none of these business would have succeeded. I don't care if you are GM, Exxon, or Starbucks. You aren't going to grow without a workforce.

As for me, for 15 days out of the month, I work in a coal mine and run one of the biggest trackhoes Caterpillar makes (or used to make) and make dang good money doing it. The other 15 days, I work in my gun shop (I am also an FFL 01) where I have close to $200,000.00 tied up (my money, not the banks, and all paid for in full, owing no one). I am also a licensed insurance agent able to write insurance in the State of Texas. The test the State gives is 250 questions and they give you 2 1/2 hours to complete it. I finished and passed it in less than 30 minutes. I'm not trying to impress anyone nor defend myself, just stating facts. Still, I am no Einstein and don't claim to know "nothin' 'bout 'nothin". You probably wouldn't want me trying to do open heart surgery on you. I just like to keep my options open.

So Ignorant? You betcha'! Working Class? That I am and proud of it! Stupid? My Wife says YES! :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to get off topic, we now take you back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008