.50 T/C Shockwave Sabot Ballistics

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by jonny4523, Aug 2, 2007.

1. jonny4523

jonny4523 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm trying to sight in my scope using 100gr of powder and a 250gr T/C Shockwave bullet. Anyone know of any ballistics chart for these? I'd like to know how high I need to be shooting at 50 yards to be dead on at 100, and then how low that will be at 150 yards, etc.

2. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Shoot the gun at all ranges, zero it at 50 so that you remove all wind drift from it. Then move it to 100 and sight it in 3 inchest high. DO NOT ADJUST the windage at 100 yards though. Now move it to 150 and shoot again, then back down to 50. Adjust accordingly. Charts are a good starting place but every gun will shoot differently and you dont really know what your bullet is doing without a chrono.

3. jonny4523

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I won't really have the luxury of having that kind of range until September. I had it shooting dead center at 50 within its first 6 shots. I think its shooting about 3-4 inches high at 50 right now. I figured I'd leave it there till I can find a longer range.

How do you account for windage in the field? I'm new to the whole sniper thing and will be really ticked if I somehow take a shot at my first buck with this and end up shooting off its tail because of mad wind.

4. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Welcome to the world of hunting...lol

Have you ever hear of kentucky windage? Its just seeing that the wind is blowing real hard and allowing for the wind drift. Its all an estimate. With high powered rifles, you can use ballistic tables to calculate the drift. With 250 grain lead bullets that are .50 caliber, you just have to take an educated guess.

5. BEEFCAKE-NMCB1

BEEFCAKE-NMCB1 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same question last year so I called Thompson Center, the Rep. told me with 100 grain of powder using 250 grain bullet that 4 inches high at one hundred yards was 4 inches low at 200 yards.

This year I bought a Nikon Omega scope with BDC and in order for the Bullet drop compensator to work right I have to shoot 150 grains of powder with 250 grain bullet. Hope this helps also, I don't think that wind is going to move a 250 grain bullet that much at 100 yards so get it dead center and don't sweat the wind unless it's hurricane Katrine when your hunting.

6. ichy_trigger

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    You might be suprise at how much the wind will effect a 250 grain slug. remember, these are muzzle loaders and the bullets are not traveling at 3000 fps.

7. jonny4523

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Sweet. I'm using a TruGlo scope with BDC, but it is a rifle scope, so I don't know how I'm going to translated the notches. What yardage are your BDC lines at?

8. BEEFCAKE-NMCB1

BEEFCAKE-NMCB1 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well one hundred yards is dead center on the crosshairs of course, then a dot for 150, 200, 225, and 250

9. CharlieHo

CharlieHo XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd take it down to POA @ 50 yards. 3-4 inches high @ 50 could put it over the paper @ 100.

You'll probably find 0"-.5" low @ 50 will be close to where you want to be

10. pinpointshot

pinpointshot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i dropped a doe and a coyote last years using the shockway bullets and recovered the one from the doe since it was shot in the chest and both went down immediately. They are good bullets and expand very well as i recovered the one from the doe. sorry dont know the ballistics just wanted to put in a good word for them.

11. Gunzzi

Gunzzi XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Don't know much about the Shockwave, looks like a good round though. I have been using the Hornady 240 gr .44 sabots. Extremely accurate at all ranges and I have yet to see a deer get back up after a well placed shot. (100 gr Triple 7 pellots) My farthest shot on a deer has been 80 yds, but I killed a grey fox at 25 yds and was dead on the crosshairs. :cool: