45acp ammo for black bear defense

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by fleshatomb@yahoo.com, Jun 17, 2007.

1. fleshatomb@yahoo.com

fleshatomb@yahoo.com XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im looking for a good 45acp +p Full Metal Jacket ammo for defense against black bears if the day would ever come.

yes, i know, 44mag is the least you would want, but until I can afford a 44mag or .500 mag my 45 is the only hand gun I have. I live in WV and we just have black bears here, i dont think they get too big. Im not worried about hunting/hiking and running into a bear. its running into a momma bear and her cubs. Especially in the area i like to trout fish.

So, what load would you recommend for my XD 45 service? Only thing I have found is buffalo bore 45acp +P ammo (230 gr. FMJFN @ 950 fps (461 ft. lbs.) I see they also have this '45 super' but after searching here it doesnt seem to be very practicle and you need a conversion and all this other stuff.

any info is appreciated.

2. spamlovr

spamlovr XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I advise you find other ways to avoid bears or deal with them in a close encounter if all you have is a .45ACP.

That said, you want a bullet that will penetrate as deeply as possible, which means the heaviest FMJ's you can get. A lot of them.

But, all your really gonna do is piss off a bear.

3. robinsre

robinsre XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Less expensive, and more effective than a .44 magnum would be a good 12 guage shotgun loaded with slugs.

4. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +297 / 6
    im pretty sure if you let the bear get close enough.. to wear you can shoot it in the eyes/nose... that should work:)

5. KarolinaKid

KarolinaKid XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
  6. Bree

Bree XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  7. fleshatomb@yahoo.com

fleshatomb@yahoo.com XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks bree for giving me some ammo to check out. I really wish cor-bon had a FMJ +p though.

I think a 45acp would work fine for the bear in my state. if i lived in alaska, i would definantly carry a 12 gauge with alternating loads of 00 buckshot and slugs. And i would much rather have 14 rounds of 45 acp with less recoil then 6 rounds of 44mag with lots more recoil which takes more time to line up your target. maybe thats me. i really doubt all a 45acp would do is piss off a bear unless you just totally missed or had all bad shots.

8. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +297 / 6
    try this.. it might work
    [​IMG]

9. the_gunman1

the_gunman1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Buffalo +P FMJFN would not be to bad as far as a .45 goes. I must agree with the shotgun Idea though.;)

10. the_gunman1

the_gunman1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's funny right there! :lol::lol::lol:

11. Myk9noseknows

Myk9noseknows XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Of course, that's a death sentence so I don't know or care why you want to use a .45. It's just plain stupid. I'm not taking a AR 5.56 to a tank which is what you are doing. There is a good reason the .45 is not used as a bear repellant. Are you listening, here I go....THEY DON'T WORK, they just piss it off. It may run away, but that's a big doubt. Bear spray is simple, cheap, and will actually work and ALLOW YOU TO SURVIVE.

Buy a .44 mag or do the stubborn .45acp thing and write your will before you go into the woods. Make sure to sign up for The Darwin Awards before you leave for your trip, you'll probably win with this internet post as the "evidence" of pure stupidity.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  12. Bree

Bree XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I would slap some 165 Gr. Corbon Powerballs in the bear if you want FMJs. I am thinking about using these as my primary defense load. I wanted to get a box yesterday at Gander Mountain but they didn't have any. So I loaded with JHP's. I like the concept behind the Powerball and it should give you the best of both worlds.

The bear will sure have indigestion and a headache after eating you and taking a magazine full of Powerballs before the meal!

:shock::shock::shock:

13. mgregg85

mgregg85 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I'd rather have my .45 than bear spray if I was given the choice. I'd load my magazines with the buffalo bore +p FMJFN stuff. That being said what you might want to consider as a back up gun or even a primary gun with your xd as a backup would be the CZ52. These pistols have phenomenal penetration(box o' truth showed the fmj 7.62x25mm from a cz52 penetrating a military issue kevlar helmet that stopped even hot loaded .357 hard cast bullets). At $140 from aimsurplus.com they are nice and cheap and fun to shoot. Just something for you to consider.

14. spamlovr

spamlovr XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pow'R'Ball ammo is a light expanding bullet that is designed to feed well in finicky firearms and not to over penetrate their intended target (self defense ammo, against two legged hunter types, you know, bad guys!). While it is loaded to +p pressures, it does not offer the penetration that I would want against a thick skinned, thick boned, heavily muscled critter. If you cannot get the velocity to drive an expanding bullet deep into the above mentioned critter to shut down it's circulation or nervous system, you want a non-expanding bullet, and you want a lot of them.

If you cannot carry 7-10 pounds of 12 gauge and ammo, or a big fire extinguisher size can of spice for the bear to enjoy with your meatballs:D, and all I had was the .45ACP round to try to save me against even a small but pissed off bear, I'd be using heavy, home brewed, +p FMJ bullets.

But, you can use whatever you want!:p

15. Kauzi XD45

Kauzi XD45 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

The Wonderful Wild West - Grand Junction, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    ok i would say that first off the O.C. Bear spray works extremely well to ward off bears (i know from personal experience) however if i had to choose a gun, I would (and did) buy a .44 just for defnse against bears. anything less is a huge risk.