.45 Super on a Taurus PT1911

Discussion in 'M1911' started by husky390, Oct 22, 2008.

1. husky390

husky390 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So has anyone tried putting a .45 super kit on a Taurus PT1911. I'm thinking of trying this round out but don't want to convert one of my 1911's to it. So, I'm wondering if the Taurus platform might be good to build off of.

2. xdmikey

xdmikey XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    contact Ace Custom before you do anything like that; I would.
    check the xd45 section here; there is a recent thread on 45 super in an xd. I'd post your question there since you're not getting much response here

3. buddy10mm

buddy10mm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just posted on the XD45 page. But I'll recap here. The .45 Super and the 10mm are virtually identical, when fully loaded. If a pistol platform can run a 10mm (this includes 1911s, Glocks, EAA Witnesses), I see no reason why it can't handle a .45 Super, when set up with proper springs all around.

Look at your Brownell's catalog - there is a Sprinco recoil reducer for a 1911 rated for "+p+, .45 Super".

If/When I ever get my .45 Super conversion off the ground, I'll post. In the meantime, look up the CZ forum in CZ Clones: CZ Forum - Index about the .45 Super conversions done on lowly EAA Witnesses. If it can be done to a Witness, why not a forged, CNC Taurus?

In fact, a Taurus or a Rock Island might just be my .45 super candidate.

4. buddy10mm

buddy10mm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From Ace Custom .45's site, the factory loaded .45 super (Texas Ammunition Company, Buffalo Bore) runs at 28,000 cup. (Other sources list it as 32,000 to 36,000 CUP). Standard .45 ACP runs around 23,000. .45 +p runs at about 26,000. By comparison, .38 Super runs at 35,000-36,000 cup. Full power 10mm (Double Tap, Original Norma, etc.) is in the same pressure category as .38 super. In other words, in terms of pressure, the .45 super achieves stellar performance without the higher pressures (much of the source of beating a handgun) of the 10mm (don't get me wrong - I'm a huge 10mm fan).

The .45 super can handle the pressure because the case is different: the dimensions are the same, but the case is strenghtened to provide far better support (this is all from Ace Custom's site). A .45 super case looks like a .45 ACP case from the outside, but it is a far stronger "beastie" on the inside.

Ace Custom's .45 Super conversions involve mostly re-springing the pistol (recoil springs and firing pin springs) and the magazine. A barrel swap is not necessary! Because of that stronger case, an unsupported/unramped 1911 barrel does just fine. With .45 Super ammunition.

Now, an EAA Witness seems to work well with 10mm - from the downloaded FBI stuff all the way up to Double Tap. I see no reason why a stronger, tighter, more massive CZ-97b - that has been properly sprung and made reliable - could not handle a .45 super. It is not a "monster round." It is not as brutal on a handgun at full factory power as a full power 10mm.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  5. husky390

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I'll talk to Ace about doing a conversion on the Taurus.

Do you hate EAA Witnesses? Did you have a bad experience? Just wondering, I have an Elite Match in 9mm and it shoots great.

6. buddy10mm

buddy10mm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the contrary - I think EAA Witnesses are great pistols, highly underrated. I call them "lowly" because of their price and reputation (among some shooters). I have had three, a .38 Super and two 10mms, which I sold for reasons other than dissatisfaction with the firearms.

It seems that many thinks you need a "big name" to get a quality product: "if it's not Springfield or Kimber or HK, etc., it's just a toy." But often, quite the contrary seems to be true. Rock Islands have a great reputation, as does Taurus. EAA is not known for their customer service, but they do have great pistols from Tanfoglio.

Of the 1,000 or so rounds I put through them, I had two FTFs - both on my Elite Match, which I realized was greatly underlubed.

I hope you enjoy yours!

7. husky390

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I am new to the EAA line and am actually considering purchasing another one. I was thinking of 10mm until I saw the price of the ammo and I'm not sure reloading will make it cheap enough to be worthwhile. I can't believe how great they feel in my hand. Have you seen their Hunter model?

8. buddy10mm

buddy10mm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have only seen the Hunter in magazines, never in person.

Check out that CZforum: CZ CLONE CLUB

Most EAA pistols can convert calibers with conversion kits sold by the dealer. That means a 10mm to a .40 or a .45, even a 9mm, as well as a .22lr. That makes ammo issues much less of a problem.

One guy on the Clone forum says he does not even remember which slide was originally purchased with which frame, he's swapped so much. I don't think the Match is quite that easy to convert, but think of the possibilities! I wish someone would do something like that with 1911s!