.45 ACP - Large or small primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Marc82much, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Marc82much

Marc82much XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am starting to reload .45 ACP. I may buy some new brass to load myself. In adding the .45 ACP to my reloading regimen, should I be getting large pistol primer or small pistol primer brass? When all is said and done, is the any advantage to me one way or the other (other than the price difference in the primers)?

2. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Large Pistol Primers

3. driver

driver XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    All I reload right now is 9mm, 38/357 and .45acp. I like being able to stay set up for small primers only. Federal champions .45acp have small primers, so I've been buying those for the brass, and they're cheaper here.

4. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was just about to say that Federal does a lot of SPP

5. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The proper primer size is large. The new small primer stuff is a PITA to keep sorted if you do range pickups. There is no real advantage to the SP, although some claim slightly better accuracy. There is no cost diff, both primers cost the same. So it's more of a logistics issue keeping everything separate.

6. Knightslugger

Knightslugger XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 7
    I find more brass in LPP than SPP, and it drives me nuts when i'm reloading to find a SPP mixed into the lot. I wish there was an easy way to separate the two quickly, but instead i have to find out the hard way by ruining a perfectly good primer, or look at each and every one. We reload by the THOUSANDS so that's pretty much out of the question.

7. Destructo

Destructo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Almost all .45 is Large but Federal is making stuff with small now. Not sure why but it sure is a pain to get it mixed in.

I hand prime all my brass and have small primers too but I don't feel like sorting it lol.

8. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Speer Blaser is now made both ways, so is the Win NT, so you really do have to sort by hand, even if you load 1000s. You need to inspect for cracks & such anyway. I just look at the case head when I pick it up, If it's got a SP, it gets tossed to the corner of the range.

9. Big Papa

Big Papa XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just read an article in Reloader Magazine about this. It seems some of the new "green" primers that the factories are using have been creating some problems for reloaders lately. In the article it says the pressure wave from the new primers has to be compensated for by enlarging the flash hole, or using small primers, instead of the usual large size.
    Oh well, being ecological always costs something.

10. Stangman

Stangman XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fwiw, blazer brass is also a small primer .45 round. When I'm loading .45, I always check every round before I even start cleaning them & separate them then. I've ruined my fair share of primers by not checking before hand.

11. Sheldon

Sheldon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hate the extra hassle of separating the primer sizes on them 45 ACP cases now. It won't be so bad I guess when I have a huge stash of the small primed cases and can run the press without having to swap over the priming system to the large size during a caliber swap. As is, the vast majority of brass I have and pickup are still the large sized.

OP if you are already reloading for other calibers that use only small primers then I'de say you might as well get the small primered 45 acp brass and streamline your supplies. If you have other large primed calibers that you reload for then it really doesn't matter which you choose. It seems like manufacturers are using both versions so they should both be plentiful. I gotta wonder though if they won't eventually just make them soley in the small version to streamline their production. Originally it was the non-toxic primers that made them use the small primer dimension, but they seem to be using regular small primers on their regular less green line lines as well. The handwriting is on the wall there, as the saying goes.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  12. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If you use range pickups, you are still going to have to separate sp from lp case. I just try avoiding picking them up in the first place. HUge PITA on a progressive press w/ case feeder.

13. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 9
    Feel free to send all your SP .45ACP brass my way. I'll give it a good home, LOL. :)

14. fredj338

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I could probably pickup 100 twice month @ the local IDPA match. Lots of guys leaving Fed or CCI on the ground. I probably should give it a good home, I think they police it up & sell it for scrap! That should be against some law.:(

15. mongovb

mongovb XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats why I still have my Lee Turret press. Priming small amounts of cases is no big deal. Switching from SPP to LPP is a pain on my Dillon 650.