380 ACP vs 9mm

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by NoisyCricket, Apr 23, 2012.

1. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey I'm fairly new on here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. My delima is this, my wife has a steel framed 9mm and she can handle the recoil fairly well. we recently got our CHL's and she purchased a ruger LCR in .38spc she absolutely loves it but doesn't want to practice with it because it hurts her hand to shoot it. I would buy her a compact 9mm but I'm pretty sure she'd have the same problem. I know that a .380ACP doesn't have to power of the 9x19mm but I'd rather see her carry something small than nothing. my question is how does the felt recoil of a small .380 like the Sig P238 or ruger LCP compare to her .38spc revolver or her DP51 9mm.

2. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Id put the .380 at a little bit shooting than the 9mm. But the .380 is just about DOUBLE the price of 9mm ammo and I doubt youd notice too much in the way of recoil between the 2. Id say a 9mm is quite a bit less recoil than a 38 spl. (depending on gun platform)
    not to mention that even a compact .380 can have a considerable amount of recoil ie.. the smaller and the less weight the gun is, the more its gonna recoil. ID say an xd,xdm. or even an s&w m&p compact in 9mm would be just the ticket.
    the ruger lcp is a single stack thin gun.. there not the most comfortable to shoot.

3. stuz92

stuz92 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The small .380's (LCP, TCP, Keltec, etc.) have quite of bit of snap to them , so she may not like them. THe Bersa .380's and Walther PPK are a little larger and are nicer to shoot, though the ammo can be expensive as oppose to the 9mm.
    I'd take her out to the LGS and let her handle and if you can shoot some of the compacts availible. She may find a brand in 9mm she likes.
    My wife had to find the gun that fit her and what she wanted for herself.

4. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    I have a TCP .380 and my old lady will not shoot it because of the recoil. But, she will shoot 9's, .45's and .38's till the cows come home.

5. NoisyCricket

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    awesome thanks for the input on the snappy-ness of the smaller .380 guns I think I may look at something like the M&P shield or the XDs (when they release it in a 9mm) but ultimately will have to be her decision what feels best and what she likes. She almost bought a ruger LC9 when she got her LCR. She's also always liked the M&P compacts so that's another reason I was thinking I might see how she felt about the M&P shield

6. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Fyi. I have a m&p shield.... my wife dont care for it!( its a bit snappy for her) again its a small single stack= quite a bit more snap/recoil than my full size or compact m&p those 2 my wife can shoot all day. go for the compact if she like them! you wont be sorry. They fit your hand like a glove and have a easy felt recoil.
    Id say the recoil in my shield is close to double my full size m&p.Both in 9mm.

7. Bigcarlover

Bigcarlover XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wife doesn't like practicing with her LCR for the same reason. Wished I could have talked her into the 357 version, the extra weight might have helped.

I have a TCP 738 and a LC9. Wife hasn't had the chance to try either yet. In my experience, the LC9 actually does have less felt recoil than the smaller/lighter TCP. But the TCP is still definitely a marked improvement over the LCR. I just bought a Pachmayr grip for the TCP that should further reduce the recoil shock, but I have yet to range test it.

I was just a Wally's today. The Federal was about $17.50/50 9mm rounds and $12/50 .380 rounds.

8. Sunday

Sunday XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Use wadcutters in the revolver. Not +P semi wadcutters.

9. NoisyCricket

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I had just been using cheap fmj (not using +p) are the wadcutters a lower recoil cartrige? I thought it was basically just a standard load but with a flat nosed bullet.

10. bandit2910

bandit2910 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try the Kahr cw9 its small and shoots great I love that gun.

11. cjacob

cjacob XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    revolvers hurt my hand, in that the trigger guard beats into my top grip finger, you won't have that issue in an auto, period. I can't imagine the recoil hurting any other way. A girl doesn't need an itty bitty gun, most women carry purses right? I would stick to a 9mm, and find something manageable.

I personally love my walther P99c, very light and compact, very little recoil. XD9 subcompact, 9mm 3inch 1911, pps, lc9

12. NoisyCricket

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    She usually prefers the idea of carrying on body since a purse is often the target of an attack. she would like to be able to just forget about the purse and run without giving up her firearm.

13. jreXD9

jreXD9 XDTalk 100 Member

P'tree City....but Pine Mtn will always be home.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife HAD the LCR 357 and handled it pretty well with non plus p .38 ammo. She's very petite, too. I traded it straight up for a CZ 75 Compact though. She has the MP9c now. I also had a P238 and it shot softer than the LCR. Very nice gun. The LCP will be at least as snappy as the LCR, probably worse. Check out the MP9c...great little gun.

14. NoisyCricket

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to beat a dead horse with this .380 thing but has anyone had much experience with the walther pk380? looks like it would be decent as far as having a little more grip comfort dispersing the recoil? any thoughts?

15. NoisyCricket

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks we will definately look at those again to see how she feels about them.