329PD question

Discussion in 'Wheelguns' started by N5DVC, Mar 17, 2010.

1. N5DVC

N5DVC XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello wheelgunners,
    Having never owned a revolver until now, I recently entered your world by way of a used S&W Hi-Viz 329PD .44 mag;
    I haven't shot it yet (yes I am sufficiently warned about the recoil - looking forward to it!), but the sights looked off so I decided to bore-sight it real quickly. I aligned the windage with no problem, but the rear sight screw comes out of the frame when the bore is still a good foot south of the sight picture.
    At the risk of being hammered, can I assume that the sights compensate for muzzle rise prior to the bullet exiting the 4" barrel? I'll just to shoot it to find out I guess...
    Any guidance welcome!

2. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    In short...yes.

The muzzle on that 25oz 329PD is gonna come up right quick when you touch it off (I know--I have a 329NG...).

Bring it to the range, get some empirical data...but I'm willing to bet that it's gonna hit considerably higher than you think, especially with a stout 240gr load.

3. N5DVC

N5DVC XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Right you were, sir...
    I cranked the elevation back down to a 'reasonable' level before heading to the range and the first shot was actually about 6" high at 10Y...
    After just a couple of rounds, I had it in the bull out to 25Y. Accuracy limited I imagine only by the shooter's eyesight at that distance, so no complaints here about the gun. Awesome.
    After a box of Blazer JHP's I was thinking, "This kick isn't so bad", until I decided to try it with a cylinder of Speer Gold dots...
    Holy Moly!! I double-checked the Blazer box to make sure I wasn't shooting .44 specials before!
    I will save the Gold Dots for when it matters but now I know what to expect... Wow...