30-06 reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by treboris, Mar 16, 2009.

1. treboris

treboris XDTalk 2K Member

west by god virginia born and raised. pittsburgh r
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    im gonna be reloading my 30-06 for my garand. what bullets/powder should i useto make it m2 standards? what else should i know?

i know it needs to be 150 grain bullets but does it have to be fmj? can i use 150 grain hollow points for hunting?

2. jwoolf

jwoolf XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    When I used to shoot the national match course ( I shot my M1A SuperMatch )

We used to shoot 172gr boat tail hollow points in both 7.62 and 30-06. ( Lake City Match ammo M72 ( 30-06 ) and, M118 ( 7.62x51 )

I think there's a 168gr HPBT that's available for loading up. They used to shoot 1 MOA out of my SuperMatch out at 600yds.

3. treboris

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    so are all those safe to shoot through a garand?

4. jwoolf

jwoolf XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Yeah. I used to have a match grade garand that I shot a LOT of M72 through.

When I was a Jr. shooter, DCM ( now known as CMP ) use to issue us ( the Jr. State teams ) cans and cans of Lake City M72 for practice ammo for next years National Team match at camp perry. We all shot M14/M1A in the actual match but, DCM/CMP would issue some M118 for the M14/M1A but, mostly M72/30-06.

I actually got a Garand through a DCM/CMP program when I was 18yrs old where if you sent in copies of some score cards of sanctioned leg matches, you could purchase a Garand for 165.00 and, that's how I got mine.

So, I had a Garand to shoot the 06 in and I still have my M1A SuperMatch for the 7.62.

So, what most people load is the 168gr HPBT for match shooting 30cal when the DCM ammo dried up. That was the closest thing to load to get as close to the Lake City stuff as possible and, at camp perry all of the ammo you shoot is issued so that everyone shoots the same ammo for the match.

Now, they're using the M16 to shoot at camp perry for the national match course but, back when I shot it, nobody did. The M16 was only used in the small arms firing school when I was there.

Here's what the M118/M72 ammo looks like. ( I had a photobucket pic so, I'm linking it ) Here's my old shooting gear. You can see the white box Lake City stuff there on my shooting jacket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  5. treboris

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    so where can i order them from? im not really looking for high quality im looking more for cheap stuff just for general shooting.

6. jwoolf

jwoolf XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Here's a link: Graf & Sons - 30 Caliber (.308)

We used to shoot the match king.

I'm not sure you're wanting those though from the sound of it. Those are what I used to load though. Those bullets are for shooting long ranges and, are pretty much the best of the best for that. If you're just looking for bullets to plink with or shoot a couple of hundred yards, get a lighter bullet, IMHO. they should be cheaper and, there's no need in spending the extra dough on a match grade bullet for just shooting for fun.... esp. if your garand doesn't have a match grade barrel, tuned gas system and isn't glass bedded etc.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  7. Old Stumps

Old Stumps XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Why would you reload if you want the cheap stuff? Go to CMP Home and order some of their M2 Greek ammo for your M1. It's still only $67 per 240 rds plus a little shipping. Takes about 3 months to get it or you can go pick it up. I can't reload for that price (nor do I want to take the time).

8. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    +1 For plinking ammo, hard to beat 28c/rd. You can load the equiv. for 30c/rd. Powders, any of the med. burners starting w/ 4895 to W748 work best. Load them well off max book data or you risk bending an oprod. Any 30cal bullet will work from 130-172gr. Again, heavier bullets should be avoided to prevent oprod damage. The Hornady manual has specific service rifle data for M1 & M1A, but if you stay off max data, you should be fine. When you can find them, bulk 147-150grFMJ are fine for practice. If you want to hunt deer, then plug in a 150gr Corlok or Speer or whatever ahoots best in your rifle.

9. treboris

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    cause im not a member, how do i become one?

besides i have to reload anyways for school. so since the cheapest 30-06 i could find online is 60 cent a round right now im reloading 30-06

10. Old Stumps

Old Stumps XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Requirements for buying stuff from them are all listed on the site. Have to join one of their affiliated clubs (Garand Collectors Association is also linked at the site and is $25/yr.) For $.32/rd (including shipping) hard to beat and it's going fast (last count was 11-12 months supply remaining).

11. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    If you can find them in stock, the Hornady FMJ is about the cheapest in bulk. Try Graf's, just put an order in & wait. If loading for an M1, I would NOT use Federal rifle priemrs do to the possability of slam fires. I have used CCI 34 or WW with good results. Graf & Sons - PRVI BULLET 30cal (.30 150gr SP BULK PER 100

12. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Any of the match grade bullets 150 grain to 168 grain and IMR 4064 or AA 2520 work great in the M1 Garand.

13. treboris

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    the ones in the link are sold out. anywhere thats not sold out for cheap?

14. jbkazam

jbkazam XDTalk 500 Member

The still somewhat free portion of Illinois.
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  15. treboris

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    i tried calling them but no one answered. i emailed them and im waiting for a response