3.8 XDM Compact 1st range trip( lil' long but TRUST me its a GOOD story)

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by Down_range, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Down_range

Down_range XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just had my first trip to the range with my new 3.8 XDM 9mm compact. At first I was shooting just to the left( see this on the forums ALOT, but it IS me, NOT the weapon).This gun IS more accurate than me. After taking my time, using proper trigger control I was able to get on target to my exact aim point. This gun was SUCH a hit with my wife and our friends, we were at the range a hour and a half, I was able to shoot about half the time, it got to the point I had to TAKE my gun back lol.

Now here is the Good part I mentioned. There was about 10 minutes until the range closed. The couple in the next lane over from me, asked me about about my XDM, and why everyone was "fighting" over it. Turns out that the couple were new to shooting. They were there renting various guns at the range. This was going to be a couples activity for them on the weekends( Good for them!).

I explained to them what the XDM was,( even explained about the XD models) and each versions benefits. I offered to let them handle my XDM, and offered to let them fire the rounds I had left to empty the box. Keep in mind they were there renting guns to see what gun they prefered before buying a gun for each of them. There was just enough time left after explaining this to them, for them to take their time and fire off one full 19 round mag each.

Well, they were SO impressed with the XDM, as we were all paying at the counter that EACH of them offered to buy a BRAND NEW 3.8 XDM 9mm on the spot!( it was too late to do the paperwork tonight, as the range was closing, but they are going back tomorrow to get them) They explained to the owner I had explained the weapon to them, its benefits, let them hanlde mine and even fire a mag each. For basicly doing a "sales pitch" of the weapon, which resulted in his selling 2 new weapons that he then credited my account with TWO free hours of range time! Here is a pic of how my new XDM perfromed. The distance was at 30 feet.

[​IMG]

2. 4.0B2

4.0B2 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good stuff!

3. dkshep502

dkshep502 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Way to go, good shooting. Was that at Open Range? I hav'nt got by there yet but plan on it this week.

4. SuperBacon

SuperBacon XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I get a lot of "what's that?" pointing to my holstered xdm or "what are you shooting?" at the range. I tell people what it is, and if they're nice I'll even let them hold it :p

5. SmokedBMW

SmokedBMW XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha nice work. I'm one of the few people who enjoy it when people ask me questions at the range. Seems like most people don't want to be bothered (makes sense).

6. Down_range

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ya, the people were genuinely nice. Both were just toally new to shooting. It just felt like the right thing to do to let them hanlde the XDM, and fire a mag each. I can honestly say Im not sure which of them was the most excited, him or her.

I told them that our group is usualy there on Friday nights, and if they wanted to join us.. well the more the merrier. Seems we all made new range buddies, as well as possibly new friends outside the range as well. What REALLY made my day is they were seriously considering the Glock 26. BUt they said the XDM felt better to them, and they really liked the 13 and 19 tound mags that come standard with it. As well as the XDM gear( for a new shooter the kit is a perfect starting point)

7. Cook74

Cook74 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great range report... Now I will have to post mine...

8. rsfrid

rsfrid XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice shooting and nice story (I'll have to remember that :) ) I certainly love mine (and the 5.25 as well.)

9. Down_range

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is a old thread I made last year, but the story behind it is a good one. And I felt the need to updte it. Flash forward almost a year from my originaly posting this thread, and now both of the people who were THEN new to shooting, are both avid shooters(ammo supply permiting) and both have their CCW. And also, they have told us they are sharing their shooting experiences with other freinds that are non shooters, and actualy got her sister into shooting, as opposed to being extremely scared to be in the same house as a gun.

We even call each other to buy extra ammo for the other couple, if we spot several boxes of various calibers while we're out lol. Granted that doesnt happen very often, but by helping new shooters last year. It has in return gave my wife and I some very good friends, as well as gaining me nearly 600 extra 9mm rounds to add to my stock, that I wouldnt have otherwise lol.

10. rharp

rharp XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    Cool story, man! It's good to hear things like this!

11. JCALDWELL

JCALDWELL XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Cool, great job, I'm sure the couple really enjoyed your help and it also help them finding a gun that they may have never shot. now they are soon to be owners.
    Good job selling the gun but you still dont have nothing on oboma. But I love the way you do it alot more

12. Down_range

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re read it man, the first post in this thread was early last year. They each bought a 3.8 9mm XDM the following day( range was closing for night) Here in Kentucky, you fill out the NICS paperwork, they call it in, and no more than 5 minutes later you are the proud owner of what ever new gun you are purchasing. And at least for now. Ky also allows perfectly legal person to person sales, no paperwork needed. Each have since gotten their CCW and have been shooting almost a year now. But the part of comparing as a gun salesman. Lol aint that the truth brother, aint it the truth.

13. bmikey25

bmikey25 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good story. Funny how much things can change in a year....

14. Enjoi829

Enjoi829 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +435 / 82
    great story man, hopefully i can just get my wife to get strapped up..(work in progress)

15. Down_range

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If shes like MY wife, kiss your range time bye-bye. Me and the other husbands are all at the back, arms crossed, and talking while the wifes are shooting, andwont give up the guns lol. Could have worse problems though lol.