.22LR Plinker

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Hegs, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hegs

Hegs XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking at getting a .22LR to shoot down in the country, so I can shoot lots of ammo with out having to worry about the cost of it.

I will eventually put a tactical solutions barrel, rail, sights, and compensator on it. And potentially get a suppressor (my buddy has the SWR Spectre and it is amazing!)

These items are available for two guns, the Ruger Mark series and the Browning Buckmark series. I guess technically its more like 7 guns... Mk I, Mk II, Mk III, Mk II 22/45, Mk III 22/45, and the Buckmarks with or without the URX grip frame.

Anyways, I was quoted a price of 310$ on a TALO special edition (I really like the grips it has) as seen HERE at a local store. I figure thats a pretty good price because the cheapest I could find online was 290+shipping+FFL fee.

I think I am going to go with the 22/45 because of its polymer frame + the tac sol barrel, the gun will be insanely lightweight.

What are the thoughts?

2. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm more of a rifle guy when it comes to the .22lr....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hegs

Hegs XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those are nice! We have the same AR 15-22 except it was one of the first ones out so it does not have a threaded barrel or "flash hider" unfortunately because I would love to try out my buddy's suppressor on a full length rifle... might even hear the sonic crack then!

I also have a (very shiny) weatherby .22 rifle that I hardly ever shoot and a daisy .22 bolt action that sits in its original box in the safe that I may have shot a couple of times when I was younger. My dad also owns has a Ruger 10/22 with stainless barrel and a semi-auto version of the daisy .22.

So as you can see I am just in the market for a pistol at this time :rolleyes:

4. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm not much of a fan of Rugers (Buckmark guy) but if you're set on the 22/45 why not this model? Threaded barrel and rails; would definitely save the extra $$ on the TacSol threaded barrel later on. Just something else to think about.

Ruger® 22/45™ Threaded Barrel Rimfire Pistol Models

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know it's a completely different direction and won't be nearly as tacticool, but the Marlin 795 is really hard to beat when it comes to .22 semi-autos. They're inexpensive, fairly accurate and have some aftermarket support if you want to make a few mods.

6. vr6veedub

vr6veedub XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. Hegs

Hegs XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had seen that one, but there are a couple of reasons why I thought that wouldn't be as good (for my situation in my opinion):

The first and main reason being that that model ONLY has a rail on the top. There are no iron sights on the pistol. With the TacSol you can get integral sights built on the rail.
    The second being that the upper on this model is steel and therefore much heavier than the TacSol solution.

Although it may be cheaper in the long haul I can make the mod when the money becomes available.

Also, since you are a Buckmark guy, have any good info on them? What strayed me to the ruger over the Buckmark was the need to remove screws and/or rails(+aftermarket sights) to take down the Buckmark. Also heard that they jam more than the Ruger when they start to get dirty, which will definitely be the case if i end up with a suppressor. (This may be untrue, but its what I hear)
    Those are nice, but I am looking for a pistol at this time. Thanks for the feedback though! :D

8. Hegs

Hegs XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still havent been able to find one of those to hold, heard about them about a year or so ago. Taking them forever to come out :???:

9. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0
    Another vote for the Ruger 22-45. I have been shooting mine for over 10 years and love it. Accurate and reliable.

- brickboy240

10. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fair enough:cool:

11. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Absolutely love, Love, LOVE my Browning BuckMark!!! It's a stainless Camper without any modifications yet, but it's great!! It's got a close enough feel to my full size XDM that it doesn't feel like a toy gun.

Just need to put a fiber optic front sight on it so I can see in my local range's relatively dark lanes.

12. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I've had little trouble running a Buckmark in Steel Challenge. Feeds and functions fine and I never take the barrel off the gun. Qtip clean the feed ramp, bore snake the bore, and a little oil on the rails and it's ready to run. One drawback is it doesn't feed plain lead bullets really well. Fed 550 bulk from WW run like a champ. Heggis flip on the sear spring and you've got a 2 lb trigger for competition.

13. partdeux

partdeux XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Ruger 22/45... SWMBO has the buckmark... She is scary accurate with her buckmark on the first time out. She didn't let me play with it yet, so I don't know if it's more accurate than my 22/45

14. FunkyD

FunkyD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I've had both the BuckMark and the 22/45 and you can't go wrong with either one.

15. 19cohiba75

19cohiba75 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Love my Ruger MKII SS Bull Barrel 5.5 I picked up last year for 200 bucks out the door. It was used but the gun looked like it was shot and put away in the safe the rest of the time. Check your local pawn shops and the used section in gun shops too for deals. You can't go wrong with either the Ruger or the Browning :twisted:.
    [​IMG]