.22LR Ammo @ Walmart

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Iniquity, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Iniquity

Iniquity XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I went to walmart yesterday, and was going to buy a federal bulk pack. But the winchester .22lr 500 pack was 3 cent cheaper, so I decided to get that instead (yeah, know 3 cent isnt much, but hey, its cheaper!) .. I bought two boxes, but havn't had a chance to put any through my rifle yet. Does anyone have any opinions about the differences between the two?

2. ZXD9

ZXD9 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hate to say it but I don't think you saved anything. The Federal pack has 550 rounds in it.

3. brian40

brian40 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, and I have always found the Winchesters to be inconsistant. Maybe they're getting better but seems like they had varying amounts of powder in them.

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The winchester rounds seem to gum up my gun.

5. .45shooter

.45shooter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was having fairly frequent jams/misfires with the Winchester .22 in my Marlin M60, and I haven't had any problems with the Federal and you get 50 more rounds per box to boot! The Winchester was also a bare lead bullet whereas the Federal is Copper Plated.

6. hobocircus

hobocircus XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a tr
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't mind the Winchester Dynapoints, but the Federal is much better. I shoot those Federal hollow points all the time. Can't beat the quality or the price :D

7. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I've never tried the Winchester bricks. I think the Federal is very good for the price.

The Remington Thunderbolts are the worst .22 LR I've tried so far. Can the Winchester be worse?

I just bought two boxes of the Remington Target .22 - it was $4 and change per 100. I'm just trying everything. So far it seems the CCI Mini Mags are about the best for the money (but far more expensive than any of the bulk packs). The CCI Green Tag is the most accurate out of my gun, but costs as much as 9mm WWB...hard to justfy just for plinking.

The Stingers are the most fun to shoot....good and accurate, and LOUD with some felt recoil...probably good for hunting. Probably usable for self defense in a pinch (if you were limited to a .22).

Peace,
    D.

8. IS300_TRD

IS300_TRD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Sig Mosquito hates the Federals. So now I have to buy CCI Mini Mags at Wally World.

9. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    I just noticed that wally world has 350 round boxes of "match" .22

I however, passed on it and got a few more boxes of the Federal Bulk pack.

The 50 round box federal champions (LRN) are a close second but they cost 30 cents more per 100 rounds.

10. Oni

Oni XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Watch out for winchester Wildcat 22lrs, some are known to carry DOUBLE powder charges (very unstable because of mal-loading) Whinchester wants this ammunition returned.

"OLIN Corportation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling five (5) lots of its Wildcat .22 LR High Velocity rimfire ammunition (Symbol Number WW22LR). Lot numbers affected are 3RA42L, 1RH71L, 1RH81L, 2RH81L and 3RH81L. The ammunition lot number is imprinted (stamped without ink) on the outside of the right tuck flap of the 50-round box. Winchester has determined the above lots may have double powder charges. Do not use this ammunition! If you possess any of this ammunition, return it to Winchester via UPS. Securely pack the ammunition into a corrugated cardboard box, write "CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS ORM-D" on the outside and ship to: Olin Corp. - Winchester Division, Tile Warehouse, Powder Mill Road, Gate 4A, East Alton, IL 62024" Please add "ATTENTION: 22 CALIBER RECALL" below the address. Winchester will send you coupons good for replacement ammuntion from your local dealer. Questions? Call toll-free (US and Canada) 866-423-5224."

11. Whittey

Whittey XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My ruger loves the wolf ammo. The remington 550pk is crap and loves to jam up on my feed ramp. Once these are gone, i'm done with them. I also have a bunch of CCI Mini Mag's that i'll finish up and not shoot any more. Nothing against them, but i'd rather just shoot the Wolf. Much better ammo. I did like the CCI Green Tag, but holy scrap that costs more than 9mm.

-=Whittey=-

12. tacticalturkey

tacticalturkey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought the Winchesters and had nothing but problems in my gun. It was about 1 out of every 15 or 20 that FTFire. So I borrowed a diff .22, same problem. Even with my new 10/22, and the 2 little revolvers my dad has.
    Bought the Federal's and no problems.

My $0.02

13. UberDuper

UberDuper XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Federal bulk pack gives me feed issues in my Ruger Mark II. Switched to the remington bulk pack and they've been flawless.

UD.

14. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I noticed that the Federal bulk stuff, while it works ok in my MKII, it only extracts when fired....the rims are not large enough for the extractor to grab. The blow-back of the firing works well enough to get the empty casings to hit the ejector and clear the gun, but when hand cycled, they just sort of lay in the chamber and don't zip across the room like my CCI stuff. So in practical terms the Federal does work (and is cheap and fairly accurate). My extractor is pretty new, so that shouldn't be a part of this issue. Also I only have this problem with the Federal ammo. Even the Remington Thunderbolts (which are otherwise garbage in my MKII) extract and eject the way they should. The Federal Match stuff works great (for those prices it SHOULD!!!!).

Peace,
    D.

15. nunnya

nunnya XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just shoot the stuff and make up your own mind.
    It's 9 bucks for 500+ rounds for God's sake!
    I've got a Ruger MKII with thousands of rounds through it and it shoots well with most bulk .22 ammo.
    All brands seem to vary from box to box.
    All shoot well enough to make my other pistols jealous.

nunnya