.223 bullet drop/windage cards?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by jednp, Nov 15, 2006.

1. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Anyone know where you can find bullet drop/windage cards for the .223? i saw some somewhere, but it was a while back and I don't remember where it was. It was a smaller laminated card, and I believe based on the 68 gr bullet for bullet drop and windage adjustments. Looking to learn a little more with shooting my AR, and one of these would be really helpful.

Ok, so I know you can find ballistics info on most manufacturer websites, but I guess what I'm really wanting to know is "average" drop, or drift. Is there a formula for figuring out how much more drift you will get at 20 mph, vs 10 mph? and up? I've got the ballistics chart for one of the rounds I shoot, but I don't know what there is for detemining drift at different wind speeds, or even bullet rise due to heat.. is there an average change in height a bullet will typically raise if firing over hot ground? I thought I read somewhere that a bullet typically will fly 4 inches higher over hot ground, especially when mirage can be seen.

The ammo I've been purchasing is American Eagle .223 REM, 55 gr. fmj boat-tail AE223.

This is what I will be shooting most, as it's the most cost effective for me at the moment, and easy to get. I'd shoot wolf.. but everyone says to stay away from that with an AR. I can purchase 500 rounds of wolf for $89.

2. Apdl

Apdl XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    taged!

3. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    You can probably make your own. Check out http://www.ammo-oracle.com/ for everything you want to know about AR15 ballistics and you can find answers to additional AR15 Ammo related questions on AR15.com.

But I think your best bet would be to get the ballistics from the manufacturers website and compare them to what ballistics you're actually getting. From there it would be easy to make up an index card of the drop of m193, wolf, BH 69gr Match, or whatever at a given range.

4. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
  5. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
  6. Broadside

Broadside XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A good quick reference for the AR's are the military TM's & FM's. TM 9-1005-319-10 covers the basics for balistics and windage for the M-16 A2. A quick search on the internet will find you any of the TM's/FM's or you can download them from the Army's website.

7. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After the holidays I'll be putting together an external ballistics calculator for use with Mil-Dot scopes... for PalmOS.

8. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    well I've printed out the ballistics from the federal site on the ammo i currently use. I just am curious really about how wind changes trajectory. I know with a 10 mph wind, at 100 yards it will drift 1 inch. 200 yards 4.3 inches, 300 yards 10.2, 400 yards 19.2, 500 yards 32.7.

But what I am curious about, is what does a 20 mph wind do? is there a formula, say the wind speed goes from 10 to 20 mph, does the drift multiply by 2? and 30 mph, by 3? I was searching like crazy to try and find that last night, and I couldn't find it. Maybe I'm just not typing in the right thing when I search. I guess I just want a rough estimate on how much increased wind speed might change it.

9. Tomcat088

Tomcat088 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jed buddy, you just double it for 20mph, triple it for 30mph, multiply it by 1.5 if it's 15 mph, etc. What you have to realize is that those values are for a full crosswind. Most of the time you won't have a full crosswind, so you need to take this into account. If it's only coming in at 45%, then you need to only use half of that value, etc. Also realize that when you are shooting over a distance or near certain topographical features, you'll soemtimes experience swirling or changing wind. This is easiest to see by watching the mirage that comes up off of the ground through your rifle scope, and changing the parralax to see how it changes (if it does) over different distances. When wind is swirling and changing is when it gets tricky. As you do more shooting with cards, you'll learn that you can account for the drop every single time, but reading the wind is where things get tough sometimes, especially with a lighter bullet like a .223. Best of luck to you and hope that helps clarify things for ya. Oh yes, and here's a link I saw that showed some ballistics info confirming this. http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/4th-handgun_tables/pdf/hgy02.pdf

10. SargeRN

SargeRN XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  11. einheit 13

einheit 13 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Don't forget about HUMIDITY.....'heavy' air will blow your estimates...

12. Tomcat088

Tomcat088 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    actually, humidity, barometric pressure, and altitude all affect bullet drop. That's why alot of competition distance shooters have different barrels that are better suited for different places they'll have competitions because they have a better load for a particular altitude and barometric pressure, so they use a different barrel for a particular twist. It really can get so complex that it seems impossible, but I just wanted to mention some of those things that he'll first start to encounter and needs to take into consideration.

13. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    thanks for the answers. Now I don't have so many unanswered questions about what I'm doing. Although it will be a little while before I am messing with all this stuff, I just wanted to know what I'm doing from the start. I'm still in the process of sighting in the scope on my AR. I'll get more into all the serious stuff on reading windage, drop when I get my .308 sometime soon.

14. suprstud65

suprstud65 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got a enhanced sniper ballistic calculator on excelspread sheet. plug in the necessary info and it will calculate drop and windage adjustments from 100 to 4000 yards. send me a pm if you want and I will email it to you. The sheet will calculate MOA and MIL for you.