1995 civic wheel bearing replacement?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by beitzel15, Oct 4, 2011.

1. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, i just had new tires put on today, after my old ones were wearing bad on the inside of the front tires.. I was told at the tire shop that this was due to needing an alignment... so I go to Midas to get an alignment, they tell me that was caused the wear on both front tires was the front left wheel bearing needs replacing.

BTW, I can get one easily online for $60-$65...With being out of work and just paying over $300 for tires, I dont have the $419.82 they want to replace the one wheel bearing.

$213.66 for labor
    $162.99 for parts
    $30.13 for shop supply.

I feel like they are asking WAY to much...

Anyways, Can the wheel bearing make both front tires wear on the inside?

2. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Could I get a Wheel Bearing/Hub assembly from autozone for $67 and just put that on?

Seems easier than replacing just the bearing, since I dont have airtools or a press.

3. dkbikes4life4130

dkbikes4life4130 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I can tell you that the shop supply fee seems a little high, but the rest seems about right for a shop. Thats 2 hours of labor, which seems perfectly fine.

I'm not extrememly familar with Honda's but I know that some of the years around there had a dumb design where you have to pull the hub off to get the rotor off, then unbolt the bearing from the back. The rotor is sandwhich'ed inbetween the hub and bearing. These can be a major PITA.

4. mknpwr

mknpwr XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Yes, the good bearing has to counter the bad bearings wandering ways thus creating uneven tire wear on that side as well.
    I just picked up a '92 DX hatch with a new motor and less than 100K on the meter :)

6. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    shouldnt a bad bearing make some sort of sound though when it's spinning?

Im going to take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion.... and they just took my BRAND NEW tire off that I had put on today, and then came in and said it was the bearing less than 10 minutes after pulling my car in.

7. AwPhuch

AwPhuch XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    $50ish an hour...sure...even if they get it done in 15 minutes...there is a "set time" for the work involved so you pay that in labor

This is why its ALWAYS a good idea to buy the auto repair book, find a buddy that knows mechanicin', get a case of his favorite beer, buy a good set of basic tools, rent specialized tools if needed, and bust some knuckles while getting all schnozed afterwards.

Some of that crap they charge you for is highway robbery!

Not if its wore or out of tolerance...they usually scream when the bearing grease is gone...I have seen bearing traces worn completely out where you could wobble the tire from side to side almost an inch and it didn't make much noise, a very low roaring noise and made me think the carrier bearing was going out.

Hint#1: If you want to keep your alignment from going to crap again...replace BOTH sides at the same time, so they wear evenly, otherwise you have a good bearing and a older bearing, yes it may stay good for a while...but before long you will be back in there replacing the other side...just like brake pads.

Hint #2: When you get your tires aligned...have fresh tires on them...otherwise they align them to the worn tires...if you replace the tires..guess what...they START miss aligned

8. nuhler

nuhler XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I work at a shop and most all shop supply fees are 3% of total bill

9. Mr Evilwrench

Mr Evilwrench XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I replaced the front bearings a couple of times on a 03 Malibu (it eats them for some reason) and it can be pretty easy, but can get intense if something's frozen due to corrosion or filth. I had a couple of special tools for it, but they're not that expensive, and you may make a couple bucks down the line doing some work cheap for friends. I do have the compressor and air tools, though.

10. avenger

avenger XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can test for a bad bearing yourself...jack up that corner of the car and support it. Make sure the steering wheel is locked so it won't turn. With one hand on each side of the tire, wiggle it back and forth. Repeat this with one hand at the top and bottom. Gently try to pull the wheel in and and out too. You'll be able to feel if the bearing is moving.

11. AwPhuch

AwPhuch XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Yup...solid as a rock or jiggles is fine..if it clunks..baaad juju

12. MrBoxx

MrBoxx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unitized hub units can make noise without having play. Or, they can howl like a banshee and also be nearly falling off the car.

But one bearing has nothing to do with the other bearing. Bearing A may last 15 years before getting enough play in it to require replacement, while Bearing B on the same axle may last 6 months. On old-skool inner and outer bearings that you still have to repack with grease, then by all means, replace both at the same time, but unitized hub assemblies don't need to be replaced in pairs.

Not really. Most alignment machine heads attach to the wheels, so regardless of the tire wear, the alignment will be adjusting the WHEEL alignment, not the tire alignment. That's why they're called "wheel alignments" in the first place. If the tires are worn unevenly, say 10/32" of tread on the outside edge and 0/32" on the inside, then yes, that's going to cause a bit of a camber issue, but nothing that a good technician couldn't adjust for, assuming camber is even adjustable on the vehicle, which in many cases, it's not.

P.S. Unless the bad bearing has a ton of play, aka about to fall off and say hello to the road, the alignment can still be performed. It won't be 100% correct, and they probably won't warranty the alignment (if they do to start with), but the wheel bearing isn't what killed your tires. Your toe in/out or camber in/out killed the tires and they're just using your coincidental bad wheel bearing as an excuse to get some labor and part profit out of you. But you should still replace the bearing. :) As shown in the link provided by mknpwr, you probably don't have a shop press and bearing splitter handy, so it's probably not something you want to get into, if that's indeed the type of bearing you have on your Honda (it most likely is). Ask if you can bring your own bearing and have them do the labor. Their part price is outrageously high, even at a shop's standard markup.

Edit:

Takes me and the techs at my shop about 10 seconds to determine if a wheel bearing is bad once a vehicle is raised off the ground. But a 2nd opinion is definitely within your right. There are plenty of shops out there that aren't quite honest about their diagnoses.

13. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    one of my friends that works at a dealership is going to help me out and do it for $150