1914 .303 Enfield price check

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by fritzmeister, Aug 15, 2008.

1. fritzmeister

fritzmeister XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have a buddy who wants to sell his rifle.

It is a 1914, .303 Enfield.
    He says it is original, but is not totally positive.
    GOOD condition.
    There is a small smear of white paint that is on the forearm of the stock.
    He says the bolt is smooth, and has been in storage for many years.

He never shoots it, so he just wants to get rid of it.

I am just looking for a real rough ball park figure.

thanks.

2. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    I am guessing this is a WWI era MkIII SMLE...right?

I have a 1943 MkIII SMLE that was made by the Austrailians and used in WWII. Great shooter. I also have 3 No4 Lee Enfields (a US Savage made lend lease, Canadian and British post war) and love them all. I have been shooting Lee Enfields for quite some time and love them. Despite what some might tell you, the Lee Enfield is neither inaccurate or poorly made. My Canadian No4 will group at 100yds as good or better than my 03 Springfield or 98K Mauser.

That said, the one you're looking at...are you able to look at it? What factory was it made in? It will have the factory name on the buttsocket...probably LSA or BSA.

Also, does the serial number on the receiver match the one on the buttsocket/wrist of the receiver? If so, then you have a better chance of the headspacing being correct. There is another serial number on the nosepiece...check to see if it matches as well.

How is the bore? The stock? Any cracks in the wood?

If everything checks out..I'd see if he'd take 150-200 bucks for it. It might be worth a little more...but if HE does not know anything about Lee Enfields...don't "educate" him...if you know what I mean! LOL

I'd say that if everything checks out with the condition and serial numbers and you could get it for 200 bucks or less...grab it. The Lee Enfield is way big fun at the range. Don't let the big brass buttplate scare you - the 303 is a very pleasant shooter. I have put 100-200 rounds through my lee Enfields (back when 303 surplus was cheap and everywhere) wearing only a t-shirt and not using a recoil pad and was never bothered at all. Its a good round and I have even taken a few wild pigs with the 303.

Good WWI or earlier Lee Enfields are not all that easy to find anymore. You'll have a great piece of history. Find a nice 1914 dated bayonet and the correct sling and fix it up right and have a really decent artifact from the British Empire!

If you DO get this rifle..post photos and tell of the markings...I know alot about these rifles and can probably help you.

Good luck and be careful...I started out with one and have four...plus several Mausers, Mosins and an M-1 Garand and Carbine so these military collectables become VERY addicting and big fun.

- brickboy240

3. bigun

bigun XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    1914 could also be a Pattern 14 Enfield based on the Mauser action, there used to be a lot of these floating around untill some genius decided to convert them to 7mm Rem Mag, 300 win mag, .338 Win mag. Make sure of what you are buying, they are both fabulous rifles but I think the collector interest would be higher on a unmollested P14 rifle than a Mark3. The P14 is also the more accurate of the 2 and way more robust. The US adopted it as the P17 in 30/06.