Springfield XD Forum banner

1911 Pre Purchase Inspection?

4K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Jimbo1 
#1 ·
When I finally get the cash together to go 1911 shopping ($700 range) what should I look for on each individual pistol? I saw a post one time about an SR1911 where the poster said he could put his thumb in the ejection port and push the barrel down out of battery which meant that particular sr1911 had a problem. Another post about a Colt o1091 said the bushing didn't sit square with the front of the slide. These are things I wouldn't have known to check, so how do I make sure I get a good example of whichever 1911 I buy? Once I choose a model I plan to have the shop bring a few examples of it out so I can look them over and pick the "best one" out of them. Which things do I check to decide which one is best?

#2 ·
I'm sure others will have better lists but here's what I look for.

The first thing is the safety, it must positively and with no mush click on and off and require significant effort to move it. If the safety isn't solid and positive clicking on and off I pass.

I look at the finish and make sure it's even if it's got a finish or clean if it's stainless. I look for idiot marks around the slide stop to see if someone has scratched it up putting it together.

I expect the frame to slide fit to be solid, maybe not bank vault solid at $700 bucks, but I don't want to see a bunch of play. Same with the barrel in the bushing, it shouldn't wobble back and forth when I push against it.

Put a mag in it, make sure it drops free cleanly. Rack the slide back and see if the mag holds it open. See if you can release the slide stop with your thumb with the mag out without problem.

At your price point you're not going to likely get a match trigger but it should take up cleanly and have a pretty crisp break but expect it to be heavy. No reason you shouldn't expect a decent trigger even on an entry level gun.

All over the gun, feel for sharp edges that weren't broken at the factory. I'd pass if you find any. If you can disassemble look for excessive raw machine marks.

At $700 bucks or maybe a little more you're looking at an entry level Kimber, a Ruger, or if you shop around maybe a Sig, or a RIA.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Definitely looks like a shooter! Also I like the combination of beavertail and non-ambi safety. Is there more of a combat style rear sight that fits?

Besides, see if you can find a used Colt in your price range...:D
For whatever reason (flame suit on!), the idea of a Colt appeals to me. Like it would somehow be more special to own the real 1911. The o1091 is expensive from my lgs ($1050) but are available for $750 plus shipping online. Only problem is then I can't look at it first. There's a mk iv s70 in nickel at my lgs for $795, which is closer to my budget, but I didn't know how to inspect it (hence this post).

The Rugers and Remingtons look nice, Springfields seem to offer a lot of features for the money and great CS. It's hard to decide if the little pony on the slide is actually worth a premium.

#5 · (Edited)
Snap pretty much covered everything. However, here's a couple of webpages for a good overview on how to inspect a used 1911, but you can use this to test a new 1911 as well. Hope this helps and good luck on your search.

Xavier Thoughts: Checking a used 1911 with a purchase in mind

Buying a used 1911 Jack Fuselier Testing of a second-hand M-1911

Also, a level inspection from a Bullseye Gunsmith's perspective, overkill for most, but nice to have in your hip pocket and will provide you with a legitimate feel for the quality...or lack thereof in a pistol.

Shooting Sports USA - June 2009 - A Day With a Master Gunsmith - David Sams

#11 ·
Looked at the s70 Colt again today. Looks a little nicer laying in the display case than it does once you pick it up. I've never really considered a nickel finish before, is it delicate? I also looked at a stainless s80 Gov, s80 Commander, and a Delta Elite 10mm just for fun. All of the brand new stainless Colts seem to show a bunch of scratches in the rough bead blasted round portions. The Springfields and Rugers next to them seem to have smoother matte finishes and don't have scratches. Are Colts scratch magnets?

Here's the Series 70/Mk IV:

The top of the slide has some discolorations. Would that be rust coming through the nickel or is it something that will just scrub away?

I would definitely need to swap the teeny tiny sights...

#12 ·
I'm not a big nickel gun fan, either...yet I like stainless and hard chrome. Go figure.

It looks decent, but...yeah, I can see where you'd want to make some changes to it.

And at that point...it's usually better to find something that has those features already.

#14 ·
Here's an option for you, I've got one of these in the performance center version and it's outstanding. SW makes a fine 1911, just keep in mind it has an external extractor which some may not like. At this price, IMO, you're getting a really nice gun.

S&W SW1911 E-Series 8+1 45ACP 5

That is a good deal.

For an abomination, that is...:D

Seriously, though--that's a great 1911 for a good price; it'd be hard to go wrong with it.

#18 ·
I'd give a nod to the SR1911. I recently jumped into a 1911 and the commander size is what I picked up. For the price - you cannot go wrong with the Ruger. Even though I'm new at 1911's I have done a lot of reading and wanted the best first one I could get. The Ruger, by many reviews out there, is one of the best. Some experienced folks say for the money it's really hard to top and that it really does rival those that fall in the $1500 range. I can't say that, but they did.

I am looking at a Colt or Sig for my next purchase in commander size. I like colt because, well, the history and knowing that a 1911 collection is apparently not complete without one. But, the Sig is just awesome... I do want a Springfield, but the champions and comacts are just impossible to find right now and are over the top on price when you find one because of this...at least in my area.

Good luck!

#19 ·
So--

Magnum Research; they seem a little spotty. I've shot a couple of really nice ones--but that was right after they came out. The ones I've seen lately have been hit and miss...

Ruger is the same way. I've handled some nice ones, but a couple years ago when I was looking at Commanders, I was really turned off by every one I handled--they had a safety that was as positive as cold oatmeal...it kinda moooshed between off and on.

Guess I kinda haven't looked at 'em since.

#22 ·
So--

Magnum Research; they seem a little spotty. I've shot a couple of really nice ones--but that was right after they came out. The ones I've seen lately have been hit and miss...

Ruger is the same way. I've handled some nice ones, but a couple years ago when I was looking at Commanders, I was really turned off by every one I handled--they had a safety that was as positive as cold oatmeal...it kinda moooshed between off and on.

Guess I kinda haven't looked at 'em since.
On the Ruger - they might be hit and miss, but mine is a definite hit. My safety has a clear snap on and off. Been more than 300 rounds now without a hitch and it's a smooth sweet shooter. Mine is good and Inhave no issue recommending.

#20 ·
I may catch hell for this from some, but RIA offers all the bells and whistles you are looking for. Good shooters. Reliable. Depending on the model you get, the finish can leave a lot to be desired. I've been on the fence getting one myself. Fine gun made in the Pillippines, but I do feel a bit of guilt considering a Philippines made 1911 over an American made 1911. Yes I realize my XD is Croatian. But a classic design like a 1911 should be American. Not telling you what to do or how to think, but this is my struggle. Just thought I'd share.

#32 ·
^ That's just wrong! I handled a Springfield Champion RO at the LGS a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with it. Slide to frame fit was tight but not abrasive feeling, no barrel wiggle, mags dropped easily, & finish was good.It is also close to your price point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.